Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2012, 04:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Random Lock -up or Shut Down Issue

Looking to see if anyone has any ideas what I should look at next to solve this.

Specs on system are
ASUS P8P67 Evo
Core i5-2500k
Cooler Master V6GT
Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 4X4G
Patriot Wildfire 120G SSD
3X Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
2X Sapphire HD6950 2G
ASUS Xonar DG
OCZ ZX-850

Now the problem is windows will randomly lock up, I think I have this solved since step one in my repair process but figured I should note it in case it pertains to the other problem.
Other and more confusing problem is the computer will just go dead black screen, when it does this my PWM fans kick up to max speed and the mobo led will cycle through at least once. Pushing and holding the power button does not go through the usual cycle down few seconds when normally done it just shuts off instantly.

The steps I have gone through so far are;

1. I had a feeling it was a virus causing my windows problem, and since I could not get my antivirus to even initialize let alone complete a scan without a lock up. I wiped the SSD using Active Kill Disk, unhooked the 3 1Tb drives removed my sound card and one video card. The did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and updated all drivers from the company websites.

2. Using a combination of the ASUS PC Diagnostics program, 3D Mark11 and Memtest. I stress tested everything with the bare bones set-up, then switched GPUs and did it again NP

3. I reconnected the 1TB drives did complete virus scans using malwarebytes and AVG, malware found a trojan but I think it was just a tracker, removed it regardless. The went through the same stress tests as step 1

4. I added my sound card back in to the mix and performed the stress tests as in step 1

5. I put both GPUs back in and in crossfire, but at stock clock and shader settings and went through the stress tests again.

6. Finally with everything back in I reset my GPUs back to 6970 shaders and 20% OC, turned ASUS TPU back on and ran through the stress tests again.

So after all that everything was running fine I figured I had it licked I had utorrent running and was watching a movie and bang thing did it again. Screen went black cpu fans shot up to max speed leds cycled through and I was back to square 1.

At this point the only thing I can come up with is that t is the mobo, reason I am saying that is I bought the board as open box and I am figuring there is some stupid little thing wrong with it.

Anyone else have any better ideas or advice on what I might try next.

Thanks

Corsair 600TM, Corsair TX-950, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5-2500k, Corsair H60, 4X4G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Dual Gigabyte GTX-780 OC Rev2, Seagate 600 240G SSD, 3X WD Caviar Black 1TB, ASUS DVD, Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Old April 1, 2012, 07:17 PM
MVP

Your're temps are fine?

All chip set and ALL necessary drivers have been loaded?

Your oc, overclock is done manually or automatically... by automatically that with an Asus auto overclock program?

Are the cmos/bios settings accurate?

What bios are you running?

Power supply is good?
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Last edited by tyreman; April 1, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old April 2, 2012, 04:42 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Your're temps are fine? Temps are well within normal

All chip set and ALL necessary drivers have been loaded?All drivers freshly updated

Your oc, overclock is done manually or automatically... by automatically that with an Asus auto overclock program? OC is done automatically using ASUS turbo on the chip and ram , GPUs are done with the shader switch and Trix

Are the cmos/bios settings accurate? Yes

What bios are you running? Going to need to check the number when I get home

Power supply is good? Never thought about the PSU it is brand new, maybe I will try running the TX-950 I have to test that.

If I run my TX-950 and all is well, what is the best way to actually test the PSU before I RMA it?

Corsair 600TM, Corsair TX-950, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5-2500k, Corsair H60, 4X4G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Dual Gigabyte GTX-780 OC Rev2, Seagate 600 240G SSD, 3X WD Caviar Black 1TB, ASUS DVD, Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Old April 2, 2012, 11:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

IMO it's the memory. It is not on your motherboard's QVL.

Go to asus.com and find your mobo, then check out their QVL, it is not on there

CML8GX3M2A1600C9 is the name of the memory i checked. They support CMD, CMG, CMX, CMP, TR3 but not any CML (i assume it stands for corsair memory low profile).

Two of my close friends bought non QVL memory this year. They both had to take the modules back. I always only buy memory on my QVL to avoid this kind of irratation.

EDIT:
To clarify your memory modules are probably working just fine, memtest for 24 hours will verify this. This type of ghost in the machine screams two things to me, memory or PSU, and your PSU is new and your memory is not on the QVL, therefor by occam's razor I predict it is your memory.