Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Rookie

Default Please help, I'm desperate...

Alright so I have this problem. I just got the rest of my parts for my new PC I put everything together the best I could(cable management wise). I go ahead to turn my pc on and it runs for maybe 5-10 seconds then shuts down and turns back on. After it turns back on it seems like its running fine but I get no display, keyboard and mouse don't work etc. This also happened after I took apart my old PC to clean it and put it back together. Friends say it could be just my gpu is fried or something or am I doing something wrong?

PC specs.
Asus sabertooth p67 Mobo.
intel i5 2500k CPU
8g Gskill 1600 RAM
Western Digital Sata 6.0 320g HDD
Asus Sata DVD-CD ROM
Dynex 520watt PSU
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT GPU (what I had in my old PC)
Old March 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, are you able to see if your GPU is working in another PC, which you know works, i.e. your friends machine (sans his GPU, now insert your GPU and see if it powers up)?
Old March 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My guess would be the off brand PSU, dynex arent exactly good quality
Old March 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
Rookie

No I don't have a PC I can test it out in, but I'm starting think it is the GPU. I mean the same problem happened in my old AMD build and now this build. I really don't think its a Mobo problem since its a new Mobo. Unless Im just unlucky.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
My guess would be the off brand PSU, dynex arent exactly good quality
Yeah my brother bought it for me and he works at bestbuy so.. he would obviously get the cheapest. The 8-pin cord was way to short it barely reached the top.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallaway View Post
The 8-pin cord was way to short it barely reached the top.
blink. a good trouble shoot is to unplug and replug everything to make sure its seated proper.
its possible that if your 8 pin is too short, one of the the connectors is loose, damaged and/or failing.

could try an extension cable too.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
blink. a good trouble shoot is to unplug and replug everything to make sure its seated proper.
its possible that if your 8 pin is too short, one of the the connectors is loose, damaged and/or failing.

could try an extension cable too.
I honestly think I just need a new psu and gpu.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

or a bent pin in cpu socket
Old March 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Freind just had this problem, does it get constant boot reboot loops? If so, bad motherboard. It happens. If it was the PSU its unlikely it would boot for X seconds and shut-It would usually fry/pop. The gpu may/may not have lights on the bottom to tell you what the problem is.

If you do get a new PSU-XFX 650-750 are excellent and a decent price, also check out the newer Rosewill, very well built, as are pretty much any Seasonic based unit.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the aforementioned things have not fixed the problem, you should remove the computer from the case, put your motherboard atop the motherboard box and install cpu, 1 stick of ram, videocard, keyboard. Try and boot wiith the most minimal components needed. IF that doesn't work, then the possibilities could be: poorly seated cpu, dead motherboard or bad power supply, Do you have a speaker to hear beep codes? (i can't recall if your board has an LCD post code display)