Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2008, 11:27 PM
Top Prospect

Default Problem with 8800GTX

I've just completed the beginning stages of my build, and have gotten to a rather serious impasse. I am running an 8800GTX through my 32" Sharp Aquos, and everything was running smoothly until I updated the drivers. I had been trying to resize the desktop as the edges were off my screen, and everytime I tried with the supplied drivers, the Nvidia program would crash. I installed the newest drivers, and still, overlap. In my attempts to find the "Resize screen" option (which seems to be absent), I went into a display setup. It auto-detected something, and said "dual-screen" was the best option, even though I'm only running one screen at the moment. As soon as I hit ok, it said it was going to preview the display settings, and then everything went black.

I waited the 15 seconds, but still nothing. I restarted, and the POST screens are displayed, the windows loading screen is displayed, but after that, nothing but black. I can tell the PC is loading windows, but it is not displaying.

Is there some way to reset the drivers without seeing anything, or am I doomed to re-format?

Help!
Old March 25, 2008, 12:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

boot into safe mode or vga mode
Old March 25, 2008, 12:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

you might also want to try booting with 2 monitors plugged in if the driver thinks that would be best. you might be able to see one fine, and use it to set the other one as your primary monitor, or set them to 'clone' or whatever its called that puts the same image on both screens if you dont plan to permanently use 2...
Old March 25, 2008, 01:31 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the ideas...I ended up re-formatting. :(

Everything is working now, but I still can't seem to resize the borders of the desktop. I've managed to find the option in the new drivers, but when I go to resize, I click ok, and it asks if the new settings are good, but nothing has changed.

That being said, I now have a new problem. I can't get sound...any sound. I've got an Auzentech Prelude, and though it'll recognize that there is something in the slot, it won't actually detect the card. I thought it might be a problem with the card, so I took it out and put in the bundled card with my Striker II Formula, and the same thing. It recognizes something is in the slot, but won't actually recognize the card. Is it something so stupid as me not connecting power? Do sound cards need additional power input? Sorry for the stupid question, but it's been awhile. :)
Old March 25, 2008, 01:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

not sure about the sound card, Might try going to your control panel and making sure than your sound card is set as the default (if it even shows up there) or maby get the updated drivers or maby going back to an older set of drivers. You should be able to use your monitors own settings to change how the desktop looks on the screen?

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 25, 2008, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
not sure about the sound card, Might try going to your control panel and making sure than your sound card is set as the default (if it even shows up there) or maby get the updated drivers or maby going back to an older set of drivers. You should be able to use your monitors own settings to change how the desktop looks on the screen?
I'll try playing around and see if it's recognizing it in the bios.

As for the monitor, it's a TV, so there is no resizing option. I'll probably have to talk to Nvidia, unless anyone else has ideas.

Please?
Old March 25, 2008, 08:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You don't mention what motherboard you are using, but did you turn off the on-board sound in bios?

Have you tried a different PCI slot for the card? It could be that it's trying to use resources which are already in use by other hardware. Sometimes simply moving the card to another slot will do the trick, sometimes you have to go into the PCI resources area of bios and tell it to reset them.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 25, 2008, 09:31 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
You don't mention what motherboard you are using, but did you turn off the on-board sound in bios?

Have you tried a different PCI slot for the card? It could be that it's trying to use resources which are already in use by other hardware. Sometimes simply moving the card to another slot will do the trick, sometimes you have to go into the PCI resources area of bios and tell it to reset them.
I'm using a Striker II Formula. It doesn't have anything on-board, but it comes with a PCI card which I've tried to use with no luck. Same thing happens...it recognizes something is in the slot, but when I try to install drivers, it says that it needs the hardware in order to install, and that nothing is there. Same deal with the Prelude.

I'll try playing around with the bios tonight, and we'll see what happens. It was 3am, and I was pretty damn tired, so I might have missed something. Hopefully, it's an easy fix.

I still have no idea about the desktop screen size, though. It's getting pretty frustrating.
Old March 25, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It could be that your tv has an odd ball screen resolution, if you've still got the box it came in, or the manual, or can find the product specs online, find out what the native resolution is. Then while in the nvidia control panel you'll see an option to manage custom resolutions. Choose create, enter the tv's native resolution and refresh rate press test and if it looks good, apply it and hopefully that'll work out for ya.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
It could be that your tv has an odd ball screen resolution, if you've still got the box it came in, or the manual, or can find the product specs online, find out what the native resolution is. Then while in the nvidia control panel you'll see an option to manage custom resolutions. Choose create, enter the tv's native resolution and refresh rate press test and if it looks good, apply it and hopefully that'll work out for ya.
The tv's native res is 1920x1080, and that's what the card auto-detected to, but still, it goes outside the limits of the screen. Changing the resolution just seems to make things bigger, but still, overlaps about 1" outside the screen.

When I use the NVidia driver software to try and adjust the borders, the arrows line up perfectly with my screen, but hitting ok leaves them outside again. I've shrunk things down so the arrows are well within the screen, but again, it just goes back to the "default" outside the borders. I'm at a loss as to what to do.