Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
Top Prospect

Default CPU temperatures suddenly rising.

I've had my current PC for about a year-and-a-half (thanks Canuckers, for your help with it in the New Build thread. : )). It was a pretty standard build at the time: i5-760, GTX 460, Hyper 212+ heatsink.

When I first built it all the way to about 2 weeks ago, my idle temperatures for all 4 cores would be about 16*C to 17*C. When I played games, the load on the PC would be about 50% and the temperatures would hover in the high 30s. The GPU temperatures would be about 30*C idle and never go above 50*C when playing a game.

Now the temperatures at idle would start out at 18*C when I first boot up the computer (which is fine), and then randomly rise to 30*C for extended periods of time (even though I'm not doing anything). I first noticed this because I felt hot air, even though I haven't turned on my heater. Doing a virus scan would cause the cores to rise as high as 50*C.

I also noticed that I would lag slightly when playing YouTube videos, and lag to the point that I couldn't even use Google documents to do things like edit PPTs with other people. I mean, my netbook with a 1.2Ghz processor can run Google Docs buttery-smooth, yet my i5 lags?...

I understand that 30*C idle is perfectly safe and fine for a CPU, but my question has more to do with why my temperatures would suddenly increase so quickly within the span of two weeks. Two weeks ago, my CPU would never go above 22*C even with a browser running 10 tabs, iTunes, and other similarly small programs!

I know that my information is very vague and unhelpful in leading to any diagnosis, so I'm just going to ask if anyone has experienced similar problems with his or her CPU, and what the problem eventually turned out to be. I'm thinking of re-applying thermal paste and seeing if that helps!

Note: My weird temperature spikes may also be due to a virus, but I've run Windows Security and it hasn't turned up anything. Anti-virus programs are FAR from perfect, but I don't know any other way of checking whether or not my computer is infected.
Old March 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

can you post a screen shot of task manager / processes and services
Old March 17, 2012, 01:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would change the thermal paste first, it does dry and harden over time. Next I would see how many processes are running, I bet after 1 1/2 years the OS is fairly jumbled up and full of crap.
Old March 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
can you post a screen shot of task manager / processes and services
I agree with this you just might have some extra things running
Old March 18, 2012, 01:20 AM
Rookie

Windows uses idle time to execute code for some applications, however it shouldn't happen all time. If this is the case then you may have "vermin" on your PC. If you don't recognize the process that is running than google it. There are some websites that list and describe all the windows processes.
Old March 18, 2012, 03:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Dust? maybe.
Old March 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmoja View Post
Dust? maybe.
Might be time to blow the system out (dust), replace thermal paste on cpu and maybe even gpu (son't pu too much), then do a fresh windows install. That combination of things will surely breath some new life into her.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I also noticed that I would lag slightly when playing YouTube videos, and lag to the point that I couldn't even use Google documents to do things like edit PPTs with other people. I mean, my netbook with a 1.2Ghz processor can run Google Docs buttery-smooth, yet my i5 lags?...
This strongly suggests to me that (as has been mentioned already) you've got a process of some form that's working your CPU, especially since you say that it seemed to start happening overnight rather than gradually. I'd recommend focusing on software rather than hardware to start.

Doesn't have to be a nasty, I had something similar happen with a bad update (pretty sure it was java) that was sucking up 80% of my PC resources 24/7. Ended up having to uninstall the app altogether (including all associated updates) and then re-installing it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP