Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
Rookie

Default Using a toggle switch to operate all lights

Hello all I'm in a bit of a pickle at te moment. Currently I am trying to set up all my lights (the LEDs on my 4 bitfenix led fans and a set of cold cathodes) to be able to be toggled via a mnpctech toggle switch. I'm not the greatest with electrical but can manage to do it as long as I know it's safe. Any ideas?
Old March 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Basically you're going to need a 12V relay. You could get one from and auto parts store if it's more convenient for you. Basically you'll want to connect the cold cathodes normally to the switch and then splice in the the relay switch. Then connect the LED wires from your fans to the switching part of the rely.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Those switches are typically 20A or so, so you could run the 12V power through the switch, and then to all the lights that you want to control with the switch.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

V11a relay schematic look there an see how to use a relay and respect safety guide lines
Old March 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
Rookie

So what about local canadian hardware stores any of them carry anything that I could use? Canadian tire, home depot, home hardware, and walmart. I really dont know where to splice them and how to cover them after wards and if i can use regular electrical wire for extensions. any help for a noob is appreciated.
Old March 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Am I missing something? I thought all the lights in the computer case (cold cathodes included) were run directly off of the 12V line. The cold cathodes take the 12V and boost it to some other value through the inverter, but if you ran everything through the switch beforehand (i.e. the lights from the fans and the line to power the inverter), then you could avoid the use of the relay and associated peripherals. You could still fuse it if you wanted, however CCFL's don't use much power, and of course neither do LED's, plus your PS would have over current protection on it as well.

I sit here scratching my head, awaiting enlightenment.
Old March 17, 2012, 12:02 AM
Rookie

So Im getting mixed reviews, should I use a relay or not? I want to control5 fans 2 bitfenix pro 120 mm 2 sickle flow 120mm and a cm mega flow 200m and my logisis ccfl. Can all the cords be to h in hook up will it not blow up it's it's split so much?
Old March 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default relay: Caution your playing with live voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ve11a View Post
So Im getting mixed reviews, should I use a relay or not? I want to control5 fans 2 bitfenix pro 120 mm 2 sickle flow 120mm and a cm mega flow 200m and my logisis ccfl. Can all the cords be to h in hook up will it not blow up it's it's split so much?

first what kind of control you want on these fans ?

just no/off use a switch wired to PSU same voltage as fans, if need AC~ power to operate use a relay power 120vac units

other is if want to control speeds of fans use a 5.25 bay fan controllier

ah the confusion is Logisys CCFL operates on 12vdc

Input voltage of inverter: 12v; Output voltage of inverter: 680v

so no need for the relay to 120vac power the CCFL

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old March 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
Rookie

So for what i envision is to just have a switch to only control the lights in the pc. I have a scythe kaze master pro ace in the mail for the rpm control. How can i specifically wire it via the cord to the switch to the power source? Also, is the huge issue the mixture of the voltages? is it possible to do with the multi light sources via the switch or should i get 2 switches. I also noticed the back of the pci slot for the switch that came with it is identical to the switch I'm getting 3 prongs with only 2 cords hooked the the prongs in the direction of the ON switch. is there any diagrams for this kind of stuff or am i essentially winging it?
Old March 23, 2012, 11:31 AM
Rookie

got the switch today, i looks like a relay from the bottom. can i cut the wires going from the cathode and hook it to that?