Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
Rookie

Default Multi GPU Issue [was Hi-Pitch Noise]

EDIT2:
I'm gonna live with the whine, just gonna build a filter for my audio & up my graphic settings (found it happens when my card goes over 100fps) maybe I should update the first post again.

What is bothering me is my one card doing nothing. (as it currently stands I could have paid a tenth of the cost for a pos card since it is only a port extender right now)

I want the cards to work like two independent graphics cards, and not to shift all the load to one card.

I use to run a AGP/PCI setup, when something was on the monitor connected to the AGP the AGP card was under load and the PCI card more or less idled, and vice versa.

Old hardware could do it, and all the info claims new hardware can still do it.
"If you used two monitors, one on each card, and no CF bridging then you would have even use on the cards. But no advantage in performance."

System Connections

Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
|
-- PCIe #2 (closest to CPU)
| |
| -- XFX 5770 #2
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #2
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #3
|
-- PCIe #1
| |
| -- XFX 5770 #1
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #1
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #4

I dont think card 2 is doing anything.
With FurMark on monitor 1 or 4 card one is being used 99% card 2 is used 0%
With FurMark on monitor 2 or 3 card one is being used 93% card 2 is used 13%

Am I wrong in thinking monitor 2&3 should only use card2, and monitor 1&4 should only use card1?

Last edited by ShetiPhian; March 13, 2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Old Problem Delt With, New Problem Needs Solving
Old March 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Coil whine, not much you can do about it aside from getting a quieter case, or louder fans heh
Old March 12, 2012, 01:03 AM
Rookie

What would cause the card to produce coil whine only while plugged into second PCIe slot?
Is it something I should be concerned with?
I have no problem using noise dampening material and building a filter for my audio but I want to troubleshoot this as far as I can.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Actually coils are not the only thing that can whine.Capacitors can too.

It seems obvious that it's the motherboards power supply circuitry for the second pci-e slot.
My advice would be to apply some clear nail polish to the caps/coils surrounding the second pci-e slot.

edit : I just looked at a pic of that motherboard......there are no coils/caps near the second slot.It looks like the pci-e circuitry is just above the first pci-e slot on the left.....there's a group of coils and capacitors there....

Last edited by BrainEater; March 12, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry not trying to still the thread

I have a same high pitch noise since day one on my folders ASUS KGPE-D16 motherboard I had originally thought that it was because I had the on board video on when I pulled the motherboard I was able to get at the jumper to turn it off but it still has the high pitch noise with or without a load .
On my board the sound seems to be near the first CPU how does a person figure out which capacitor is making the noise?

Old March 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Easiest way to help tell, roll up a piece of paper and tape it to stay in a hollow tube. Then place one end in you ear as you place the other end over each coil/cap you should be able to hear the whine much louder once you are over it.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry Silent Avenger , but no.

In order to discover what the offending part is , here are the steps :

#1 : you need the rig setup on a test stand , it's too hard to do in a case.

#2 : fire the rig up , make it squeal.

#3 : Using a plastic (non-conductive) stick , (The back end of a plastic pen works ) very gently start touching capacitors/coils etc...The sound will change the second you touch the part making the noise.

#4 : carefully place a drop of clear nail polish/conformal coating at the base of that component.You want to glue it to the motherboard.

Problem solved.

Old March 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
Rookie

"The sound will change the second you touch the part making the noise" The sound never changed.

But I have a bit more info, I don't believe the motherboard is providing enough power to the card.

Here is a bit more info on my setup, I have four LED LCD screens, 1&4 are on the card in the noisy slot, 2&3 are on the other.
I installed HWMonitor I noticed both cards idle with 0.95V,

No matter what screen the load is on card one gets 1.10V and card two stays at .95V
If I have the load on screen 2 or 3 it is silent, but on screen 1 & 4 the noise starts.

How would I force the power to 1.10V? I don't care if the card ever idles down to .95V
Old March 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Vid cards make noise too. Like brain said... conformal coating should stop the noise.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Sorry Silent Avenger , but no.
I've used my method before to diagnose a noisy cheap TV so it does work it might not be as practical but it works.

As for the motherboard not supplying enough power the vid card should pull the extra power it needs from the 6/8 pin PCI-E power connections. What driver version do you have? Have you updated them recently?

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.