Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
I've used my method before to diagnose a noisy cheap TV so it does work it might not be as practical but it works.

As for the motherboard not supplying enough power the vid card should pull the extra power it needs from the 6/8 pin PCI-E power connections. What driver version do you have? Have you updated them recently?
I was on 12.2 yesterday but I did update this morning to 12.3

BTW: first post is updated with more info, my second card isn't being used properly (at least not the way I expected it to be)
Old March 13, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShetiPhian View Post
EDIT: I updated all the info in this first post so everything I've done is in one place.

System Connections

Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
|
-- PCIe #2 (closest to CPU)
| |
| -- XFX 5770 #2
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #2
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #3
|
-- PCIe #1
| |
| -- XFX 5770 #1
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #1
| |
| -- Philips 236ELH #4

> Either card with either power connector is silent while in the PCIe #2.
> Both cards no matter which power connector whines in the PCIe #1.
> When the whine is present it also appears on my sound card.
> Nothing in my system has ever been overclocked

> I am not using crossfire

HWMonitor & GPU-Z show both cards idle at 0.95V and when a load is applied only card #1 goes up to 1.1V
If the load is on screen 2 or 3 there is no noise, but if it is on 1 or 4 there is.

While running FurMark both cards powerup to 1.10V (HWMonitor & GPU-Z still shows the one at .95V) and I can run a game without any noise no matter what screen is used
As soon as I close FurMark noise returns if the load is on 1 or 4

I dont think card 2 is doing anything.
With FurMark on monitor 1 or 4 card one is being used 99% card 2 is used 0%
With FurMark on monitor 2 or 3 card one is being used 93% card 2 is used 13%

Am I wrong in thinking monitor 2&3 should only use card2, and monitor 1&4 should only use card1?
The primary card is going to do most of the work yeh? I would expect it to make more noise and use more power. Card 2 won't be used in futuremark unless you are using crossfire. As for monitor configuration that could be ANYTHING you designate in windows. Monitor configuration will do nothing to solve the noise problem so you need to dismiss that thought process.

This really is exactly as Braineater has explained to you and has nothing to do with drivers or anything else. It is simply coil or capacitor whine. Coil and Cap whine has been around for a very long time... as long as I can remember. 1st time It happend to me I was [email protected] Braineater explained it to me and I've just dealt with it ever since.

I realize it's annoying but its nothing to worry about. Unless you are willing to spend the time and pull the mobo out of the case and put it on a motherboard box and find the noisy cap you will just continue to spin your wheels here dude.

GL.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
Rookie

I'm already gonna just live with the whine, just gonna build a filter for my audio & up my graphic settings (found it happens when my card goes over 100fps) maybe I should update the first post again.

What is bothering me is my one card doing nothing. (as it currently stands I could have paid a tenth of the cost for a pos card since it is only a port extender right now)

I want the cards to work like two independent graphics cards, and not to shift all the load to one card.

I use to run a AGP/PCI setup, when something was on the monitor connected to the AGP the AGP card was under load and the PCI card more or less idled, and vice versa.

Old hardware could do it, and all the info claims new hardware can still do it.
"If you used two monitors, one on each card, and no CF bridging then you would have even use on the cards. But no advantage in performance."
Old March 14, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

But you ARE running it as a port extender. CF the cards if you want performance increase... I know what you are saying about the AGP/PCI setup but that was working on a completely different bus and much easier to seperate. One card is only ever gonna run games if you continue to run them as they are.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 15, 2012, 12:52 AM
Rookie

I don't get a lot of downtime so when I do I multi task to make the most of it, I'm never in fullscreen.

I wonder if its the crossfire chip on my motherboard, it is taking a single 16x lane and making it two 8x.
So in theory a non crossfire/sli motherboard with two independent 16x lanes should allow the cards to run independently.