Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2012, 10:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Post, no video.

Hey Guys,

I just slapped on a coolit omni block on my 5870. So I power it up after leak testing, and at first, I forgot to reconnect the two 6-pin power cables and the video card started a continuous beep

Once I plugged the cables in, no more beep from the video card, I get the usual POST beep after a while but I don't get any video .

I tried the HDMI and the two DVI ports. No signal, my monitor immediately goes into power saving mode

I reset the BIOS, but it didn't help.

One thing I did notice is that on boot, it hangs on the the boot device LED for a while even when just my SSD is connected.

My monitor is alright. I tested it with my Laptop. Unfortunately I don't have a backup video card unless someone in the Montreal area is kind enough to lend me one.

Did I just fry my video card?
Old March 1, 2012, 10:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure the card isn't warped by tightening the block down too tight.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

is your PC actually booting and loading windows? I know it would be hard to tell ifg you cannot see anything on the monitor but if it is actullly loading into windows then I had a similar experience,When I installed this video card on my system for some reason the video card had thought that I had two monitors and when windows loaded it was set to the second desktop, I figured out wjhaty was going on by accident becasue I moved my mouse and it went to the second desktop which was when I noticed that windows was loaded and I could see my mouse cursor .

Nolw if it isn't that then I would then guess that maybe your Psu isn't powerful enough or even the video card might not be seated into the PCIE slot properly even try using different power cables plugged into your video card
Old March 1, 2012, 10:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the quick responses

It's not a power issue, been using the same rig for well over a year now with no issues. THis is the first time I"ve had power issues with the GPU when I forgot to plug in the 6 pin connectors.

As for overtightening the block, It could be it. I just loosened all the screws a little, but it didn't fix it. I'll try reseating the entire block in the morning.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

i got some spare cards you can try
just bring it over

you might wanna reseat the gpu

block grounding on the hdmi connector?

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old March 2, 2012, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

yes sounds if card is shortted.....try putting back stock heatsink to see if thats the issue having

i see current MB bios is Version 1602 but first need a working system to check an update if needed

oh pci-e 6wire didn't cause this issue for bios checks thats and disables 3D mode and warning
Old March 2, 2012, 06:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Reseated the block (with relatively loose screws )and the GPU this morning. No effect

Zsamz_ :The block isn't touching any of the connector headers at the back of the card (they're shielded too) so I don't think that's the problem

KaptCrunch: I was afraid of it being a short somewhere. The only place I think this would be likely to happen is on the tiny chips (diodes I presume) around the core due to some TIM that may have gotten there while I was removing the old TIM, though how I'd get that TIM out is another question. At this point, I want to save installing the stock cooler as a last step before trying to RMA the card. The tiny screws holding the X-shaped clip are starting to take a beating.
Old March 2, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, really see if you can test out another GPU first to see if it is your GPU that got killed
Old March 4, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilocient View Post
I want to save installing the stock cooler as a last step before trying to RMA the card. The tiny screws holding the X-shaped clip are starting to take a beating.

sounds if using a imperial screw driver on metric screws
Attached Images