Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Default Sudden power loss

Forum goers,

It's been a few days since I've used on my desktop, but finally last night I got a chance to sit down at it. Generally my computer stays in a perpetual state of hibernation when I'm not around, and with a tap or two of the keyboard, will wake back up.

However, it didn't wake up last night. It remained very much asleep, or as discovered soon after, off.

Attempting to turn it on has yielded no success, however, the motherboard lights are on when the power supply is on, thus the power supply is providing some sort of power to the board but no fans turn when the switch on the case is turned on. When I attempt to power on from the motherboard switch I can't get any movement anywhere of any fan or even a familiar post beep.

So far the only thing I've been able to diagnose as the issue is PSU failure, however, I'm checking with all of you to confirm that as issue.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Pull your power supply out of the case and plug some fans into it. Get a bare paperclip and jump the green wire on the 24 pin connection with any black wire on the same connection. Then plug your PSU into the wall and switch it on. If it doesn't power the fans then it's most likely the PSU has a failure somewhere.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.