Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2012, 08:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Exclamation OC 6950's downclocks when Firefox is enabled

I was playing BF3 earlier this morning and i noticed my FPS is degrading and lagging. I figured no big deal, probably just need to restart.

So i restarted, played BF3 again - and the same thing happens. About 15 mins to the game, my FPS starting to lag out and getting slower.

So i looked at my other monitor and i see Hardware monitor stating that GPU1 is downclocked to 800 Mhz. While GPU2 is at 950 Mhz. So i exit BF3 and started Kombustor. Again, it states that GPU1 is now downclocked to 500 Mhz while GPU2 is 950 Mhz.

I exit Kombustor and entered Furmark. Same thing is happening. GPU1 is downclocked.

So i exit Furmark, i clicked on GPU-Z and wanted to see what it states. Started Furmark and GPU-Z states that both are running 800 and 950 Mhz.

I figured maybe i needed to update AMD drivers. Uninstall 11.12. Restart, go to safe mode. Use driversweeper and reboot.

Reinstalled 12.1. Fired up Kombustor and Furmark and it now states that both GPU's are running at 950 Mhz. I figured great, everythings working!

So i opened up Firefox and went to game on BF3 again. Same shit is happening .

So i exit BF3, ran Kombustor and Furmark and GPU is downclocked again. Checked MSIAB and both cards are running 950 Mhz.

Restarted, fired up Kombustor and Furmark and both GPU's are running my OC's. So at this point, im starting to get pissed off. Opened up IE. Both cards are running OC.

I open up FF, GPU1 downclocks to 800 Mhz. Im like, WTF?!

So i restarted again, ran both test - both cards are running the OC's. Opened up FF, GPU1 downclocks again. SO i did this process 3 more times and everytime FF is open (or minimized) my GPU1 downclocks. At this point im getting aggrevated. Closed FF, opened up IE and Chrome - both GPU's are running OC when i do the tests.

But when FF is on - GPU1 downclocks. I havent done anything drastic except update Flash the last few days. So went back to previous builds of FF - but the same shit happens.

But even with the new update from flash, everything else was working as it should. Im running out of ideas, since i prefer to use FF.

So - any ideas?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

Last edited by Prolab; February 23, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well I have never had any problems like this but I stopped using Firefox and am now using Waterfox (a 64bit variant of FF), and I am using a pair of Sapphire 6950s OCd. Maybe try using Waterfox since FF is only 32bit.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
I was playing BF3 earlier this morning and i noticed my FPS is degrading and lagging. I figured no big deal, probably just need to restart.

So i restarted, played BF3 again - and the same thing happens. About 15 mins to the game, my FPS starting to lag out and getting slower.

So i looked at my other monitor and i see Hardware monitor stating that GPU1 is downclocked to 800 Mhz. While GPU2 is at 950 Mhz. So i exit BF3 and started Kombustor. Again, it states that GPU1 is now downclocked to 500 Mhz while GPU2 is 950 Mhz.

I exit Kombustor and entered Furmark. Same thing is happening. GPU1 is downclocked.

So i exit Furmark, i clicked on GPU-Z and wanted to see what it states. Started Furmark and GPU-Z states that both are running 800 and 950 Mhz.

I figured maybe i needed to update AMD drivers. Uninstall 11.12. Restart, go to safe mode. Use driversweeper and reboot.

Reinstalled 12.1. Fired up Kombustor and Furmark and it now states that both GPU's are running at 950 Mhz. I figured great, everythings working!

So i opened up Firefox and went to game on BF3 again. Same shit is happening .

So i exit BF3, ran Kombustor and Furmark and GPU is downclocked again. Checked MSIAB and both cards are running 950 Mhz.

Restarted, fired up Kombustor and Furmark and both GPU's are running my OC's. So at this point, im starting to get pissed off. Opened up IE. Both cards are running OC.

I open up FF, GPU1 downclocks to 800 Mhz. Im like, WTF?!

So i restarted again, ran both test - both cards are running the OC's. Opened up FF, GPU1 downclocks again. SO i did this process 3 more times and everytime FF is open (or minimized) my GPU1 downclocks. At this point im getting aggrevated. Closed FF, opened up IE and Chrome - both GPU's are running OC when i do the tests.

But when FF is on - GPU1 downclocks. I havent done anything drastic except update Flash the last few days. So went back to previous builds of FF - but the same shit happens.

But even with the new update from flash, everything else was working as it should. Im running out of ideas, since i prefer to use FF.

So - any ideas?
Try turning off GPU Acceleration in Firefox and see what happens.
Old February 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
Well I have never had any problems like this but I stopped using Firefox and am now using Waterfox (a 64bit variant of FF), and I am using a pair of Sapphire 6950s OCd. Maybe try using Waterfox since FF is only 32bit.
I'll look into it when i get home tonight. Does it have a good support for Add-ons just like firefox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Try turning off GPU Acceleration in Firefox and see what happens.
Didnt work. Still downclocks one of the GPUs.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit