Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Rookie

Default Problem - Pata drives in Win7

Using Asus P8Z68 with Win 7,x64 SP1 + all current updates. System runs perfectly (1 TB sata C: drive) until I install an Adaptec ASH-1233 PCI PATA 133 card to use 2 WD 500 GB Caviar blue drives. Dates of manufacture are Nov 2008 & Feb 2009. These drives & card are known good; they will run using the same card installed in an older Win 7, x32 system (Asus P4P800 mboard & Prescott cpu). (I have tried connecting them as master/slave pair on one channel or as individual masters - each one on its own channel (correctly jumpered). Makes no difference: the system will initially boot, a screen shows that the card is recognized & the two drives are attached. The next screen has the cursor in the upper left corner but the system doesn't advance (Windows logo never appears).

Evidently the card is the problem. Is this a motherboard/card problem or is it Windows x64? Will pata drives work at all in this environment?

I could install them in external boxes using usb but internal installation is preferred.

Solutions please. Thank you.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rookie

I'm using a controller card on Win7 x64 with no problem. Have you tried booting with just the card installed with no drives attached to it? Maybe BIOS is trying to boot from one of them?
Old February 20, 2012, 08:41 AM
Rookie

Had not considered that possibility. Will give it a go.
Both drives previously held data - currently, they are empty (each one is an NTFS-formatted, extended partition); neither was ever configured with a primary partition.
Old February 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
Rookie

Default Solution

I tried the card alone - no go.

Finally a solution: bought another card that uses a VIA chipset instead of the Adaptec card (which uses a Silicon Image chipset). Obviously a conflict of some kind with the Adaptec board.
Anyway, it works.