Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2012, 03:09 AM
Rookie

Default Hot temperatures!

I got a new set up which is way awesome than my old one!! It's a nice set up but I'm concerned about the CPU temperature.
Quote:
i7 2600, 3.4ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
Thermaltake, 600w power supply
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
On the thread about my set up I decided to go with the regular build I'd intended (though don't think I didn't consider your posts!) but now that it's all working I'm concerned about my CPU temperature.

It hits 71C when I load it out with Ultra-Detail (1680x reso) in Bad Company 2 (Only game I have that stresses the CPU well) and yeah - it hits 71C. I use CoolTemp to check the max and min and the max is 71, I read on the Intel site and a forum post that 2600 should stay under 72, and I'm concerned I'll fly past this temperature.
It's 32C degrees (environment) right now and it hits up to 36 here, so my CPU should probs go up to like 76C or something but I wanted to keep it under 65...
I thought the thermaltake frio would take care of that but it seems to be doing badly if my temps are that bad?

Both of the fans on the Frio are going full speed (One hooked to the mobo which is manually set for full; the other is direct power supply) and it blows right out of the back of the case.
There's a roof fan which admittingly isn't very good, it's a 200mm roof fan that spins at like 500 RPM. I dunno how to force it to go full speed.
Besides that I don't have a back fan (the frio blows the hot air right out that part, though) and the front doesn't have a cooling fan yet... but would it even make that much of a difference?
My friend said that 71C is okay and that heat like this isn't really a bad thing, but it shouldn't be this hot for what a big fan it is.

My case is BitFenix Survivor Core, the reviews say it didn't have too much good cooling on it but I didn't expect my set up to go right up to 71C!

My thermal paste is set correctly and the heatsink is in fine... is this a natural result from a lack of a well airflow case, no front fan and general environment temperature? Cause I don't want my CPU to go melting or anything.
Old February 11, 2012, 04:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Even if you applied thermal paste correctly you can still get a bad mount which will result in higher temps. As for the max temp the whole subject is wishy washy. Some people say 70c is max while the cpu throttles at 95c which some people is the limit others say 80-85 is max. You should be fairly safe with 76c although the cooler the better. The rpm sounds about right for the 200mm fan they aren't really designed to spin fast. The case plays a big part in cooling especially if you don't have a rear exhausting video card it will end up throwing heat back into the case and pulled through the cpu cooler. maybe try running with the side case off and see what the temps are like. If they drop it means your case is hindering cooling

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 11, 2012, 05:53 AM
Rookie

I played 5 or so games of Bad Company 2 with one side of the case off, exposing it to the air and the highest I got was 64C which would be fine for me... that is an incredible difference but the side of the case being open isn't exactly... smart.
If I drill some small holes on the side of the case would it make any difference? Lol

The only thing I can really do that's 'cool smart' is to put a back fan on (120mm), a front fan on (1x 200mm or 2x120mm) and manage some of the cables (I'd need to buy a modular power supply then, the cables I have now are in the way cause they need to be).
The back fan is pretty much where the Frio is blowing the hot air out of, though. Would that even make a difference? Just blowing from one fan to another...

Last edited by RainbowMuffins; February 11, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old February 11, 2012, 06:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds like a bad mount and bad airflow

second you should be using realtemp or coretemp for your temps
Old February 11, 2012, 06:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowMuffins View Post
I played 5 or so games of Bad Company 2 with one side of the case off, exposing it to the air and the highest I got was 64C which would be fine for me... that is an incredible difference but the side of the case being open isn't exactly... smart.
If I drill some small holes on the side of the case would it make any difference? Lol

The only thing I can really do that's 'cool smart' is to put a back fan on (120mm), a front fan on (1x 200mm or 2x120mm) and manage some of the cables (I'd need to buy a modular power supply then, the cables I have now are in the way cause they need to be).
The back fan is pretty much where the Frio is blowing the hot air out of, though. Would that even make a difference? Just blowing from one fan to another...
Oh wow, you don't have intakes or Exhausts on your case?
That would be why you are cooking your components inside. You need to populate your fan spots, simple as that, it Really does make that much of a difference.

*Edit* - If there was any advice in the other thread, the most important beyond cooling would be which PSU to use. I hate to say it but the one you are using is a bad call.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
That would be why you are cooking your components inside. You need to populate your fan spots, simple as that, it Really does make that much of a difference.

*Edit* - If there was any advice in the other thread, the most important beyond cooling would be which PSU to use. I hate to say it but the one you are using is a bad call.

-ST
Missed the PSU... good call!
Old February 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I have one exhaust, the 200mm fan on the roof. The frio blows the air right out of the back where the fan would go so is that one even necessary?

Quote:
What's wrong with my PSU? I've had it for like a year now and it's been fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
sounds like a bad mount and bad airflow

second you should be using realtemp or coretemp for your temps
The frio was supposed to be a good mount though :(
I can take a picture of inside my computer if that helps lol.

Also I do use coretemp.

Last edited by RainbowMuffins; February 11, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old February 11, 2012, 08:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
I have one exhaust, the 200mm fan on the roof. The frio blows the air right out of the back where the fan would go so is that one even necessary?
yes very nessecary, your hot air probably isnt being exhausted and just lingering in the case, causing high temps on your vrm and other components.

thermaltake isnt known to be a reliable psu manufacturer, thier quaility isnt on par with corsair, seasonic, etc. Which is a threat to the rest of your expensive components, ESPECIALLY if its running hot in your case. That psu is more likely to die and take all your parts with it than the other brands ive mentioned.

sometimes there could be a pocket of air or too much thermal paste which actually insulates instead of transfering. Take it off and re-mount it to be sure.

Also I do use coretemp.
Good!
Cheers,
Mav
Old February 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the PSU is similar to this one, you're OK: Thermaltake Litepower 450 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

As for the cooling issue, I'd start with adding fans since the side panel made such a big difference. At least the 120mm exhaust is needed to draw the heat the VRMs produce away, but with a 560Ti in there, I'd also add a front intake fan to feed it cool air. I tried running no rear exhaust one time, and as maverick_brent stated you get a warm spot behind the CPU that your cooler can't remove on its own.
As a comparison, I'm running a Antec Mini P180 24/7 Folding@Home with no intake fans (the P180's default configuration), and my CPU temperature is 64C according to Intel Desktop Utilities. Note however I have a lot less GPU heat to deal with since I'm running a 550Ti.
Old February 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Also I do use coretemp.
Always, always populate all Fan slots.
Simple way to ensure you have adequate airflow. Trust me if I started knocking out fans on my cases my components would start cooking inside.

As for the PSU, I am sure its fine right now but to be honest you couldn't pay me to put a TT unit *beyond the Grandpower* in my case.
The PSU might survive but it can slowly kill components, and I bet if you ran that one with the stuff I have on my HX650 It would wipe out my system.
Your choice in the end, but I am merely here to give you advice.

And the FRIO is fine, and can probably mount good. What they are saying is you might not have mounted it well first time around (Trust me, its nothing new in the world you don't want to see how many damn times it took me to get my H50 on). So taking it off, and re-doing the TIM and remounting might be a good idea.

Good luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com