Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The H80 is honestly the best Sealed WC unit made to date. It combines the pedigree of a Canadian WC team (Coolit) with the refintement of Corsair. A match made if there ever was to be one.
Combine that with say a Blademaster or Typhoon fan and you should best that FRIO in your case without fail. Just don't use the stock paste on it, they pile it on thick.
A thing I forgot to ask for water cooling too, my friend said that the water stuff is a great conductor for the heat which is what makes it so good; But does water cooling make a difference in this ambient temperature? If it's 35C here, wouldn't the water be 35C? I know water cooling is good but I feel as if everyone's making it off to be that it's a miracle. With a price tag of 140$ it's going to take me 6 weeks to get, but if it's going to ensure at least under 65C at Bad Company 2 (I'm afraid to use Prime 95) I'll start saving, but I thought for water cooling to be effective in anyway it had to be the high end 350$ ones.

also what do you mean with the blademaster/typhoon fan? The H80's fans can be changed to other fans?

Last edited by RainbowMuffins; February 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old February 13, 2012, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowMuffins View Post
A thing I forgot to ask for water cooling too, my friend said that the water stuff is a great conductor for the heat which is what makes it so good; But does water cooling make a difference in this ambient temperature? If it's 35C here, wouldn't the water be 35C? I know water cooling is good but I feel as if everyone's making it off to be that it's a miracle. With a price tag of 140$ it's going to take me 6 weeks to get, but if it's going to ensure at least under 65C at Bad Company 2 (I'm afraid to use Prime 95) I'll start saving, but I thought for water cooling to be effective in anyway it had to be the high end 350$ ones.

also what do you mean with the blademaster/typhoon fan? The H80's fans can be changed to other fans?
Water units drastically lower temps all around the board on a cpu. You can easily see a 5-10 degree difference compared to a air cooler.

And yes you can easily change fans on the H80 to something more efficient if you wish.
Old February 13, 2012, 05:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

First off where do you live to have to pay $140 for an H80? They usually retail at about $110 so plus tax here in Ontario that's about $124 also i think NCIX has the H80 on sale this week. Yes the water temperature will be at 35c which would be the same as the air going through an air cooler. What makes water cooling better is the fact that water has higher heat capacity and thermal conductivity than air and radiators allow much more cooling surface area than an air cooler. Yes a custom water cooling loop will usually be better than any sealed units available but the H80 should be more than sufficient. Last thing, yes the fans can be swapped out on the H80 and replaced with just about any 120mm fan.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unless your ambient is like 5 degrees there is no way your cpu is running at 20-21 degrees unless its under some crazy cooler.
Well, I keep the room at about 18 C, and that is what the BIOS reads. 21 C. RPM is at 1100 for CPU cooler. And that is what any software would use to get the readings if I am correct!!!!
Old February 13, 2012, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
First off where do you live to have to pay $140 for an H80?
From the best place in this country for online parts. It's the country that jacks the price up I believe.
Buying international, the delivery alone would jack the price up pretty high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
Yes the water temperature will be at 35c which would be the same as the air going through an air cooler. What makes water cooling better is the fact that water has higher heat capacity and thermal conductivity than air and radiators allow much more cooling surface area than an air cooler. Yes a custom water cooling loop will usually be better than any sealed units available but the H80 should be more than sufficient. Last thing, yes the fans can be swapped out on the H80 and replaced with just about any 120mm fan.
A person told me that in my weather, my idle temps should be about 49C or lower. With my idle temps at about 38~40, I seem to be in the clear, it's the max that's troubling...
... but all of my basis of concern is the manufacture standard of 72.5 for... well, I honestly don't know what that is. I suppose if it goes over 72.5 for a year it'll cut off 3 years of life span or something I dunno.

But I'm, kind of wondering... is the H80 worth it, for my cooling? I mean I'd like to lower max temperatures but 140$ is a lot to ask and... if I get it and it's a disappointment like the Frio is, I'll obviously be pretty bummed.

But, saying that - a few people have said my temperatures are fine for my ambient temps. I suppose with my current temps there's nothing to worry about really.

Butttttt as is my concern. Care to take an estimate as to how much the H80 will cut off my max temperatures?
I asked a person I know who had the H80 and they said that it's.. not that great, average to a high quality fan (like my Frio), and when you put it up to full the fans are as loud as snappy doodles. Replacing the fans need to be some sort of, something anti static? Fans due to the material of the fins for the... thing in it. They recommended that you keep with the stock fans with the H80.

Edit: Actually it seems that the H80 and Frio have next no difference in terms of cooling. 1 to 3 degrees difference based on this chart
With that, I guess there's no reason to get the H80. 140$ for 1~3 degrees? Maybe if it was 5 to 8...
I'll just go with some case fans for now I guess.

Last edited by RainbowMuffins; February 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old February 14, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
... but all of my basis of concern is the manufacture standard of 72.5 for... I'll just go with some case fans for now I guess.
TCase for the CPU is supposed to be measured with a real temperature probe stuck to the outside of the processor. Given that you're not taking the same measurement from software (as you're relying on sensors inside the processor), being a degree or two higher than TCase isn't recommended but it doesn't spell doom for your computer or anything drastic like that.
Intel® Core

Agreed - populate all your fan slots before you even think of changing your CPU cooler. Any cooler would be useless if you're feeding it air that's been heated for a while inside your case. Since your ambient temperature is high, you may have to use higher speed intake fans (e.g. 120mm fan at >1000RPM or a 200mm fan at full speed) to get the cooling you want.

Edit: Note my earlier post about intake fans not being required was made before I knew you were dealing with high ambient temps. I measure around 23C (cheap thermometer) at my computer's intakes.
Old February 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

RainbowMuffins

this post is useless with out clear pictures of the set-up your talking about

sounds to me that your not getting enough air change within case only recycled heat flowing
Old February 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I also figured I'd need to have a 3000RPM fan on the back because the Frio is blowing out air in that fan-mounting-holes-thingy at 2400, and if I put a fan with like, 1900 RPM then it would bottleneck since the Frio is throwing more wind at it than it can handle.
Can someone confirm for me if this is the way fans work or do I have it wrong?

The scythe is pretty fast but also pretty loud. Though I don't mind noise, for others sake, the quieter can be the better (Since I do take my comp to other people's places and stuff)

If I don't need a 2400RPM fan to match the Frio then I'll probably save the noise and get something more efficient (suggestions are welcome), but if I need to match the Frio's 2400 RPM then I'll have to stick with the kaze cause it's the only one on this site that goes to 2400+.
But if I have it wrong - do I need to match the RPM, or match the CFM?

Gonna get a 200mm BitFenix Spectre Pro for the front. 148 CFM seems to deal like 50 more CFM than 2 120mm's valued at 50 CFM or so.

Well I found a fan that has 90CFM, 2000 RPM at 19dB. Pretty good if you ask me, but will that 400rpm / 11 CFM difference block some of the frio's airflow?

Last edited by RainbowMuffins; February 15, 2012 at 01:24 AM.