Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Always, always populate all Fan slots.
Simple way to ensure you have adequate airflow. Trust me if I started knocking out fans on my cases my components would start cooking inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
As for the cooling issue, I'd start with adding fans since the side panel made such a big difference. At least the 120mm exhaust is needed to draw the heat the VRMs produce away, but with a 560Ti in there, I'd also add a front intake fan to feed it cool air. I tried running no rear exhaust one time, and as maverick_brent stated you get a warm spot behind the CPU that your cooler can't remove on its own.
As a comparison, I'm running a Antec Mini P180 24/7 Folding@Home with no intake fans (the P180's default configuration), and my CPU temperature is 64C according to Intel Desktop Utilities. Note however I have a lot less GPU heat to deal with since I'm running a 550Ti.
Oh.
For the front of my case it allows me to have 1x200mm fan or 2x120mm fan (So it says!), which one should I get?
The front of my case only allows a ##x##x25mm fan in dimension. I got a 180mm fan for the front that was pretty great for intake, however... well, it's too big so it couldn't fit.
Part of the horror that is the front fan is that, the grill isn't too big for the front, and that just behind the fan there would be a HD cage. If I got the 200mm, half of it would probably only go through cause of the hard drive cage in the way.

Quote:
And the FRIO is fine, and can probably mount good. What they are saying is you might not have mounted it well first time around (Trust me, its nothing new in the world you don't want to see how many damn times it took me to get my H50 on). So taking it off, and re-doing the TIM and remounting might be a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Brent
sometimes there could be a pocket of air or too much thermal paste which actually insulates instead of transfering. Take it off and re-mount it to be sure.
I'm confident my heatsink is on properly =)
It was mounted and remounted 3 times over. The first time I hit 68C when testing, then when my friend had a look he said the thermal job was bad and spread it out - then tested it again, hit 98C. So I did it myself and my temperatures went to 64C. (He had an aircon on)
We aren't sure if the mounting bracket is on an angle since you can't really see if it's in right due to its size and all, but I'm confident it is. The thermal paste that came with it wasn't very good so we replaced that on the third try too.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowMuffins View Post
Oh.
For the front of my case it allows me to have 1x200mm fan or 2x120mm fan (So it says!), which one should I get?
The front of my case only allows a ##x##x25mm fan in dimension. I got a 180mm fan for the front that was pretty great for intake, however... well, it's too big so it couldn't fit.
Part of the horror that is the front fan is that, the grill isn't too big for the front, and that just behind the fan there would be a HD cage. If I got the 200mm, half of it would probably only go through cause of the hard drive cage in the way.

I'm confident my heatsink is on properly =)
It was mounted and remounted 3 times over. The first time I hit 68C when testing, then when my friend had a look he said the thermal job was bad and spread it out - then tested it again, hit 98C. So I did it myself and my temperatures went to 64C. (He had an aircon on)
We aren't sure if the mounting bracket is on an angle since you can't really see if it's in right due to its size and all, but I'm confident it is. The thermal paste that came with it wasn't very good so we replaced that on the third try too.

Most fans with the exception of Panflo/Delta/Vantec are 25mm thick.
Go with whichever option is cheaper and more practical for you. The 200mm one (get the bitfenix one if you do) is probably going to be a lot quieter and throw more air into your case.
For that matter maybe get a bitfenix one for the top as well to give you a LOT of air movement.
The rear needs one even if you have one up top venting.
As well I bet that your 560TI is dumping heat into your case (that was alleviated by you taking the side panel off).

Fair enough if you feel you mounted the HSF correctly.
Are the Fans on your FRIO controlled by your MB or hooked right into your PSU?
Which TIM are you using?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Most fans with the exception of Panflo/Delta/Vantec are 25mm thick.
Go with whichever option is cheaper and more practical for you. The 200mm one (get the bitfenix one if you do) is probably going to be a lot quieter and throw more air into your case.
For that matter maybe get a bitfenix one for the top as well to give you a LOT of air movement.
The rear needs one even if you have one up top venting.
As well I bet that your 560TI is dumping heat into your case (that was alleviated by you taking the side panel off).-ST
Yeah there's a BitFenix 200mm on the roof that's going at about 450 RPM. Can't get it to go any faster, but due to the design of the case it's kind of blocked as well... It gets some airflow through just not the whole fan, and much lol.

If a 200mm one is fine I'll go BitFenix for the front since this is a BitFenix case and all, it should fit.
To note I only have two places for fans; Front and back. The roof came with its own fan.
Now what is also making me wonder is, how do I go about the back fan?
My frio is going at about 2450 RPM to blow the heat right out of that area... but if I get a fan that spins slower than the Frio, wont it cause trouble? Like wise, if I get a faster one will that cause trouble?
I don't imagine being faster would have that much of an impact, but slower maybe...

Quote:
Are the Fans on your FRIO controlled by your MB or hooked right into your PSU?
I have one hooked to my mobo which is manually set to full speed (little nozzles on it let you adjust it) and one is directly hooked to the power supply. I wanted them to go at full speed, I don't care about sound... this is pretty quiet considering my last computer, though lol.
Quote:
Which TIM are you using?
What's a TIM?

Also I did a bit of cable management last night, there's a lot less cables between the front of the case and the graphics card/etc., and while the other side of my case looks like a jungle at least it seems to have cut off a degree of heat.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

TIM = Thermalpaste Compound
Old February 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
TIM = Thermalpaste Compound
Oh... I'm not sure to be honest. I did it all at my friends place so I wouldn't mess anything up - all I can tell you is that it's black with green on it and that it came out like playdo tubes.

Edit: With a quick google search I think it's the ZALMAN -ZMSTG2 THERMAL GREASES
Old February 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowMuffins View Post
Oh... I'm not sure to be honest. I did it all at my friends place so I wouldn't mess anything up - all I can tell you is that it's black with green on it and that it came out like playdo tubes.

Edit: With a quick google search I think it's the ZALMAN -ZMSTG2 THERMAL GREASES
Zalman stuff is horrible.. bad bad bad.

Get some MX-3
Old February 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It's 32C degrees (environment) right now and it hits up to 36 here
Where you at? With ambient Temps that warm its going to be tough to cool, as said populate all spots in your Case with Fans......my Silverstone has 4x120mm Case Fans and I added another 140mm Intake Fan to the mix.

If your ambient Temps are constantly that high due to where you live, may want to consider WC.

Old February 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Zalman stuff is horrible.. bad bad bad.

Get some MX-3
Used to be.
The ZT stuff even I use now enaberif and it is not bad these days.
Key is on how much you use.
It needs to be spread really really thin to be truely effective.

Ambient is high so that is a limiting factor too. Maybe the OP needs to consider one of those doublethink All in one WC units like the H80.

And yes, populate the last fan slot at the back. regardless.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old February 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Used to be.
The ZT stuff even I use now enaberif and it is not bad these days.
Key is on how much you use.
It needs to be spread really really thin to be truely effective.

Ambient is high so that is a limiting factor too. Maybe the OP needs to consider one of those doublethink All in one WC units like the H80.

And yes, populate the last fan slot at the back. regardless.

-ST
I personally am not a fan of the "grease style" I like a thicker compound.
Old February 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I personally am not a fan of the "grease style" I like a thicker compound.
Thats fine, but it does't make the paste bad by any stretch.
Its very comparable with the IC24 I use in terms of mean performance. A few degrees varience at most which isn't too bad.

Anwho, back on topic..

-ST