Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2012, 05:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Really bad refresh rate on HDTV when connected to PC

I have been using my new Samsung Plasma 51" 8000 Series TV for a while now and it has been great. Today I got my 8M HDMI cable to connect my TV to my PC and after some problems getting the colour to look right and fitting the desktop properly inside the screen (which I can still only do in extended mode with resize mode) I am now having horrible refresh rate problems it is capped to 30hz but I read the TV was supposed to be 600 or 800hz..

Can anyone help me out with this it's really annoying me I can't watch films or anything because it is like I am watching a slide show but as soon as I drag it in to my monitor it plays fine.. Also any help with the screen fitting would be great too because it is a 1080p HDTV but when I have the resolution at 1080p the desktop is too big for the TV and you can only see parts of the start bar and stuff it will only work at 1824x1026.

What should I do?

Last edited by TokeR; February 8, 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: corrected hz
Old February 8, 2012, 06:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Have you checked the monitor settings for your video card for that display? Maybe it's that which is capping your refresh rate to 30Hz (not Mhz). You are correct, plasma tv's run at a 600Hz refresh rate, so it shouldn't have any issues keeping up with the input.

As for the resolution, you may be getting some slight attenuation from your HDMI cable, given it's length (complete guess as I've never used that length of cable before).
Old February 8, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it the GTX 480 in your sig that you're using? Does that use a DVI to HDMI converter?

Supposedly really long HDMI cables can cause issues and you're getting up there, but is it a decent one? What version of HDMI?
Old February 8, 2012, 08:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can go ahead into your tv and change the mode from 6:9 to just scan. Just Scan will allow the tv to compensate for the fact 1080p on a computer is real 1080p, whereas 1080p on tv's is slightly less pixels.
Old February 8, 2012, 11:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Arinoth, when i attach my 32" LCD TV Samsung with my pc (VGA slot), only i can run on 1024x768, wats this? :/
Old February 8, 2012, 07:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
Have you checked the monitor settings for your video card for that display? Maybe it's that which is capping your refresh rate to 30Hz (not Mhz). You are correct, plasma tv's run at a 600Hz refresh rate, so it shouldn't have any issues keeping up with the input. As for the resolution, you may be getting some slight attenuation from your HDMI cable, given it's length (complete guess as I've never used that length of cable before).
Thanks, I don't think it would be the HDMI cable I have heard of problems but this one is a quality looking cable and it was recommended by a friend that has used the same cable (length and all) for the same thing. Also yes I did that when using the "Screen Resize" feature and I have found out that is what is causing the bad refresh rate, If I put it back to the standard 1080p resolution it goes to 60Hz again and it will not allow me to create a custom resolution with the resolution I need and keep it above 30Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Is it the GTX 480 in your sig that you're using? Does that use a DVI to HDMI converter?
Supposedly really long HDMI cables can cause issues and you're getting up there, but is it a decent one? What version of HDMI?
Yes but the GTX 480 has a mini-HDMI port so I am using a Mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter, Although it only says HDMI on the cable it is a really thick well made cable and it cost me $44 and that was on sale compared to when my friend that uses the same cable bought his I think it was quite a bit more. Sorry I can not remember their website right now so I cant link you to it. But the cable is thick with a nice material (like sleeving) and the tips appear to be gold plated for durability and it weighs quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You can go ahead into your tv and change the mode from 6:9 to just scan. Just Scan will allow the tv to compensate for the fact 1080p on a computer is real 1080p, whereas 1080p on tv's is slightly less pixels.
Thanks I just tried this I had just come back from the RSL last night and was quite tired maybe it should have been more obvious to me to actually tweak the TV settings lol. I put the resolution in Nvidia control panel on the Samsung to 1920x1080 to fix the refresh rate and then went into display settings on the TV to look for Just Scan and although I didn't find "Just Scan" I did find a setting called "Screen Fit" which I imagine must be the same thing because now everything fits perfectly into the TV with no issues only the monitor still has two black bars above and below in duplicate mode which I am fairly sure cant be fixed.

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it.

And I hope you get your problem fixed too Taimoorali007.
Old February 8, 2012, 07:28 PM
Rookie

To clarify, the maximum input refresh rate for any television is 60Hz. Plasmas are capable of ~600Hz, but that is pretty insignificant. Each individual pixel will ultimately flash the exact same frame 10 times, which makes you perceive the image as smoother.

Are you testing this in a game? Do you happen to have Vsync on?

Edit: disregard the last bit, looks like you figured it out.
Old February 9, 2012, 05:09 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to see you got it all worked out.