Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Default LG dvdrw rom problem help :(

I have a new lg dvdrw rom and its doing the weirdest thing and noone can help me in my area except say replace it. the thing is it works fine except when i put the disk in i have to eject it and then reinsert it to get it to show the drive and read the disk . workd fine after doing that until i reboot system then i have to repeat the process to get the drive to show up with the disk in it again. its 100% working when i do this but i feel this isnt right and would love some input on the matter. my system is as follow

windows 7 64 bit home premium:

intel 3930k processor with 8 gig ram

nvidia 580gtx graphics

and 2 velociraptors running raid 0 in sata 3.0g

To me it seems like a conflict issue with driver but i tried unistalling and updating drivers. i even pulled the rom out and reconnected with diffrent sata cable. hope someone can help ty much
Old January 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

pbciously it doesn't work fine. go replace it.
Old January 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The people in your area telling you to replace it are probably right. Since it's new just get it exchanged for another one.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

i have 3 extra ones here that came with my case from squeetard, if you wanna pop for shipping u can have one for free

T1K 3V9 for shipping quote.
Old January 25, 2012, 10:48 PM
Rookie

yeah i will try and replace it and hope the new one doesnt do it too. To me it just feels like a registry/ driver or software conflict but im no expert by no means. thx for respnding fellas
Old January 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

software, have you checked firmware of the LG drive also what MB model you have
Old January 26, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerzfan4life View Post
yeah i will try and replace it and hope the new one doesnt do it too. To me it just feels like a registry/ driver or software conflict but im no expert by no means. thx for respnding fellas
The only software issue that I know of that plagues optical drives in Windows is the upper/lower filters.
Don't fart around and waste time simplest to replace the drive and if issues remain afterwards then dig deeper.
Old January 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Allstar

LG drives are crap. I have 2 of those that crap out in less than 1 year of use. Even their website is crap since there's 1 year warranty on them but I can't even register to have it RMA. My drives would sometime show up then won't or sometime slow down the boot because the mobo won't detect it or slow to detect it. They would also sometime refuse to open as if they get no power. Don't know how good Lite-On is still but that's the only unit still working beside a Sony IDE DVD drive.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
LG drives are crap. I have 2 of those that crap out in less than 1 year of use. Even their website is crap since there's 1 year warranty on them but I can't even register to have it RMA. My drives would sometime show up then won't or sometime slow down the boot because the mobo won't detect it or slow to detect it. They would also sometime refuse to open as if they get no power. Don't know how good Lite-On is still but that's the only unit still working beside a Sony IDE DVD drive.
LG isn't that bad but they can be touchy depending on your system. My LG dvd drive in my old win xp system works perfectly fine. So far my liteon blu-ray drive is working perfectly fine even the lightscribe works fine. My sony dvd drive works ok as well but it's noisy as so I don't use it unless I have to.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

you said its new so RMA it, but to answer how to fix issue, i doubt its driver most dvd roms use generic driver and this is almost never the issue, have you tired calling lg maybe its a known bug or at a minimum they'll be more qualified to diagnose problem with it. Hope you get it sorted!