Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
Rookie

Default Noob Overclocker.

Hey, I recently built a new system, AMD 8150, 4 GB RAM, 2X550Ti SLI and an old 500GB HDD. It's all on a ASUS Sabertooth 990fx board. Now the thing is, when I was setting it up, in the BIOS there are 3 basic settings, power saver, normal and performance. Seeing as I thought it couldnt hurt, i clicked on the performance option. Suddenly my 8 core is running at 4.15 GHZ instead of 3.61.. It's using the stock fan and I have no idea if it's stable, I know the turbocore only takes it up to 3.9Ghz. So, anyone know if this is stable, its using the stock fan, voltage atm is 1.260V, bus speed is 230MHz and the multiplier is x18.0, dunno if any of this is relevant but it wont hurt to throw it in there. Any idea if this is safe or not? and how do i revert to stock speeds if necessary? :)
Old January 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most important thing is to monitor your cpu temperature and also have a look at what voltages are being fed to your system. Once you are sure that is within specs then you can start stress testing, all the while watching that all important cpu temp. Revert back to normal or power saver in your bios if you are not comfortable with what you are doing.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and just to point out that the turbo will take that chip to 4.2 on single threads so it could just be that kicking in and sticking in cpu-z i have seen this happen many times with many chips even the 8150 i was running
Old January 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
Rookie

When I change back to Power Saver the speed doesn't change, and if the turbo goes to 4.2 GHz, the stock cooler should be enough to cool it shouldn't it? the temp while idling is either 32 degrees or 45, can't tell which one, are these temps safe?
Old January 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

use speedfan and core temp to calibrate and prime95 for temp and stress test and yes it should handle it fine @4.2 and i like amd overdrive to monitor them all