Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Default Computer Freezing

Hello everyone. I am experiencing a problem where my computer freezes when I play a game. It doesn't BSOD, simply the image and the sound freezes. Five minutes after I connect to a Counter Strike: Source server or when a Modern Warfare 3 match starts, my computer freezes. This does not occur 100% of the time as I was able to play a session of Counter Strike: Source without this problem occurring. This problem has not occurred outside of gaming. However, this has happened a total of three times in less than two days. This is only happening after there was a power outage in my home. My computer is new and custom made, I will list the specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Professional Fatal1ty
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
Processor: Intel 2500k (no overclock)
RAM: Mushkin 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz. (no overclock)
Graphics Card: eVGA GTX 280 (no overclock) - Driver 285.62
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Network Card: Bigfoot Killer 2100
HDD 1: Samsung 320GB 7,200RPM
HDD 2: Western Digital 250GB 7,200RPM
DVD: HP dvd1260
Case: Corsair 650D

Here's a video of the problem occurring: Video
Here are some images taken from my cell phone: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4

Thanks for the help!
Old January 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

While the system might be brand new, that GPU isn't. Looks like the GPU artifacting to me.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Rookie

Yes, the GTX 280 is old and I will be getting a Radeon 7970 soon. So you believe the GPU is damaged? If so, do you think there is a way to fix it?
Old January 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
While the system might be brand new, that GPU isn't. Looks like the GPU artifacting to me.
Arrrrr thar be artifact matey!

Yeah have you tried to lower the clocks and see if that helps?

What temps is the card hitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you cleaned the fan out lately? Monitored the temps? It might simply be overheating. Use GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner to monitor the temps.

Also, since it's an EVGA card it would have lifetime warranty if you registered it. Might be worth looking in to.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Rookie

I've seen the card hit around 91 degrees celcius while running SWTOR. However, these freezes only started happening yesterday after a sudden power outage. Do you think said power outage is responsible for damaging a component of mine? Btw, the GTX 280 is not overclocked. And yes, I have cleaned it up a bit.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's possible if the computer was on when the power went out. And as suggested, you might be able to lower the clocks and have the card continue to be operational.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Yes, the computer was definitely on. I guess I should buy a NoBreak to avoid these things.. So the problem lies in the graphics card only right? Btw, for Nobreaks, how many Voltage Amps does it need to have to adequately power my computer? Thanks.

Last edited by stealthbr; January 22, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbr View Post
Yes, the computer was definitely on. I guess I should buy a NoBreak to avoid these things..
Yup a UPS is definitely worth it IMO, small price to pay to not lose your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Yup a UPS is definitely worth it IMO, small price to pay to not lose your system
How many VA's does it need to adequately power my computer?