Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2012, 05:23 AM
Top Prospect

Which error messege is better? After it reads Boot from CD/DVD Drive

In the post screen it shows

"Non system disk" or "Error Loading Operating System"

Either way, I've tried 2 dvds/2 CDs, used SATA 0/1 port, tried IDE DVD Drive as master still no luck. Tried enabling legacy, tried disabling legacy.

Nothing seems to work, I even tried tearing everything down to the bare kit.

I read in the forums some guy had a bad time too back in 08 with this board, similar problems.

I'm going to cut my losses and just run Ubuntu 11.10 (surprisingly my family likes it, and I like the fact that they can't install 20 gbs of crap without my password), maybe if one day/this afternoon i'm not lazy i'll just pull a spin drive and install windows 7 using different PC and toss it back on this one, I recall doing this a lot back in my XP days not sure if it still flies today.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
Banned

some toolz you might find useful.

{live boot Linux cd}
Index of /pub/mirrors/knoppix/

{live boot Linux cd option}
Download | Ubuntu

{pc tech toolz,live winxp boot option}
Hirenís BootCD 15.1 | Softexia

{update version of ms dos 6.22 live cd}
Index of /pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1

{pc tech toolz,live boot option}
Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD

{killdisk, zero bite low level format toolz, supports floppy}
Erase hard drive by Active@ KillDisk. Low Level Format.

{windows boot disks}
Bootdisk.Com - Free Windows Bootdisks, Free DOS boot disk

If it starts bunging in lunix too id have half a mind to say the wimpy northbridge chipset cooler did it work and you have partial chipset damage ~ ram damage ~ hdd dmg

do something for me,pimp your north beige cooler and check mobo for hot spots.

douse your north beige chipset cooler look like this one ?

Last edited by jumpload; January 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: update mobo pic to a better one
Old January 19, 2012, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all the cool links, I'm burning a live CD and going to keep a ubuntu bootable USB just in case anything goes south.

The mobo has no hotspots, infact its quite cold since the PC is near the balcony window and there's always a slight draft (so temps at normally under 40*c). The mobo you have pictured looks identical excpet my IDE connector color is green, it reads revision 1.0 on top left corner
Old January 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Out of curiosity have you ran a check on your ram? Faulty ram can make OS installs glitch out and act all retarded too.
Old January 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You need to turn the usb drive into an actual hard drive and this is done with a series of dos commands. At which point you can simply copy all the windows 7 files over to the usb and begin your install. This is the only way I install OS's anymore as it cuts the time of install in half.

I will repost a link here but I need to find it 1st ok? There are some really bad guides out there... the one I have in mind is exactly right and easy to follow.

Install Windows 7 From USB

if you are doing XP you'll need to find and XP guide but the principle of turning a USB stick into a fake Hard drive is the same.

This is the best guide I have found to-date. Works perfectly without the install drivers problem. Another thing to keep in mind... the driver problem could be related to the usb drivers. For example: the 1st time I saw that issue was due to me trying to install from USB 3. The OS kept thinking it was some kinda raid driver I needed which wasn't the case. It was infarct looking for a usb3 driver which can be installed if you have the USB driver ON the usb stick. Simply goto the motherboard site and download the USB driver and put it in a separate folder on the USB stick and install it as if it were a raid driver with the f6 command at install.

windows 98 fdisk can format your XP disk too. Some linux disks can do this for you as well. XP is a real pain in the ass if there is a previous install.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; January 19, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old January 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanhchan View Post
Thanks for all the cool links, I'm burning a live CD and going to keep a ubuntu bootable USB just in case anything goes south.

The mobo has no hotspots, infact its quite cold since the PC is near the balcony window and there's always a slight draft (so temps at normally under 40*c). The mobo you have pictured looks identical excpet my IDE connector color is green, it reads revision 1.0 on top left corner
doubt it my mobo is the same as your and my chipset cooler is 2x in size vs what your is and it hits 70C or more under full load,it doesn't anymore cus i added a active fan to it ;)
stock it came with none and imho Intel makes the best ones on their mobos,love their chipset heat sinks cus their old school and by adding a fan to em its like golden vs Bling-bling useless looks cool works like crap heat sinks.

As well because of electromigration the TDP of a integrated circuit gos up as it ages not down because of the effect of current leakage, meaning you need more cooling not less as time gos by and you need to slow it down as well at times and or over volt.
And your cooler is bare minimum needed for that chipset and it was running even from the start of time at the thermal limit that the chip could take.

A little store from my past.
I have a AMD k8 cpu like that,when i found it with a DFI lanparty mobo nf4 still in a computer case with lots of bling-bling cast mod junk and a stock heat sink.it wasn't old when i came by it maybe 3 years tops.
Guess what happened to THAT cpu with a stock cooler.

It took me 3 days of bios modding the bios settings to get it to run with out the computer turning off every 30 min or freaking out.
Atm i have to run it at AMD k8 3800+ 2x 2000mgz@1800mgz {under-clock over-volt}
That's what happens when you beat the hell out of a chip with over heating and voltage.
Lucky me it still works "woot" i love free hardware and the mobo is still nice.
At the moment im still looking for a spare 939 2x cpu.Their hard to find used.
Its my file server atm.

*grins*

You can test this in a way by running your FSB way slower then normal on your gigabit mobo and putting the hole bios in to ultra save mode,meaning run your ram at 300mgz effective, cpu at like 1000mgz or less and all the rest is the same.
Disable all integrated anything.

Meaning run everything at 50% of normal or slower and run the memory with a little more votes ~ etc then normal.

Oo ya when you start installing a OS on your computer keep you finger on the north beige chipset cooler {pain starts at 50c}
or use this if you have one.

I still use the touch trick ;)

note: beware of static discharges when touching anything in side a computer.
Anyways that's my 2 cents worth for now :O)

Last edited by jumpload; January 19, 2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added nf4 pic
Old January 19, 2012, 08:09 PM
Top Prospect

@jumpload Good to know that pain starts at 50*C man! I also like that your replies have lots of pics :D
@ena I ran ubuntu's memtest checked ok
@shades thanks I'll give that a try with my windows 7 ISO :D
Old January 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

memtest86+ is better