Rookie

Default Need some help!

Hello,

Before I start off, here are my specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
AMD/ATI HD 4870 x2
Intel Q6600
Asus Rampage Formula

I have an issue with my computer and need some dire help! It all started a few days ago when a driver error popped up stating "amdkmdap has received an error, but has recovered". I searched up this error and forums were saying it was either the mobo being overheated or the drivers were causing this. So, I checked BIOS for the temps on my cpu and it was pretty good (around 20 - 30 degrees? not sure if this is normal or not, but it seems pretty cool). I decided to re-install the catalyst control drivers by uninstalling to rebooting to re-installing the newest drivers (catalyst software suite 11.12). Then, it started to get worse with artifacts showing up and I would be getting an occasional black screen for a few seconds reverting back to the desktop screen. But today was even worse, it started with the occasional black screen and artifacts, but this time it would not return back to the desktop screen. Instead, the system became unresponsive. When I restarted my computer, nothing would show up on my monitor (already checked wiring - 100% good) and I can't even reach bios, nor will my system read the Windows Installation Disc. I'm sorry for this essay and I know your eyes must hurt now from reading this. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Oh and I'm pretty noob with computers!

Thanks!!
Old January 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

See if it will start in safe mode.....

*edit* missed the part about not reaching bios, you have nothing at all now?
Old January 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Thanks, for the reply!

Well, so far nothing. I was thinking of clearing cmos, but as a last resort..
People on other forums suggested that it could be my video card overheating, but I checked on GPU-Z (before windows becoming unresponsive) and it said that my video card temps were averaged at around 40'c-50'c - idle. I'm thinking it could be the drivers and I would like to roll back but the thing is that my computer won't even respond when I put the Windows installation disc in.. :(
Either way, thanks for the suggestion! Any more help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old January 16, 2012, 06:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been having some issues ati drivers lately as well, but I doubt thats the issue with your computer, because POST is not related to video drivers in any respect. Your cards temps are fine. I little high for idle, could do with some compressed air to blow out any dust build up in the card. 40'c at idle is fine for idle. 50'c is a little high for idle. That cards temps are rated up to about 70'c - 75'c before degradation begins to occur. Are you getting any beeps when you turn on your computer and if so how many.

Note: I used to have that exact same motherboard and graphics card.
Old January 16, 2012, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks, for the quick reply!

There are currently no beeps and everything sounds fine. Even the LCD poster is working great, showing the time and everything. The only issue is that there are crazy artifacts when started, no BIOS, and my computer won't read the Windows installation disc. I cleaned my computer a few days ago, but the day I cleaned my computer everything was still in working order; before and after. The day I cleaned it, I was still playing video games no problem, no sign of artifacts, windows not booting, and BIOS was still appearing. Only until a few days ago did this start to get worse and worse.
Old January 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely try clearing cmos, some people have had to pull the battery out for a while too. If you are up to it, you should check your bios version and update to the latest version if it is out of date.

Last edited by stoanee; January 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old January 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That could be a problem with the graphics card. Crazy artifacts and no images. Also no beeps but LCD poster works. The LCD poster working would seem to indicate that the motherboard is working fine. But, I would need to ask a question first before saying it with confidence. Did you install the little speaker on your motherboard when you built your computer. Because if you didn't, then that would be the reason you're not getting any beeps. If that's the case, then that would lead me to lean towards the graphics card possibly failing. Do you have a spare graphics card you can test on that board to see if your computer will boot again. If it does, the 4870x2 is dead. I know that particular board does not have onboard video, so you will need a spare for testing. It's worth a try, especially if you don't want to reset the CMOS if it's not necessary. And the LCD poster working is a good sign that the motherboard is working properly. But we would still need to know if you installed the motherboard speaker before saying for sure.
Old January 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
Rookie

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Hmmm, I'm very tempted to try to clear cmos.. but will do that on a last resort. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare video card to test out with :(. By little speaker do you mean the soundcard that came with it? The SupremeFX II? Because that is installed. If that is not what you are talking about, I cannot seem to find the motherboard speakers you're talking about (noob moment). So, I shuffled through the box my motherboard came in to see if I missed it, but cannot seem to find it there either. So, I'm assuming it's installed in!
Old January 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoodNamesLeft View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies!

Hmmm, I'm very tempted to try to clear cmos.. but will do that on a last resort. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare video card to test out with :(. By little speaker do you mean the soundcard that came with it? The SupremeFX II? Because that is installed. If that is not what you are talking about, I cannot seem to find the motherboard speakers you're talking about (noob moment). So, I shuffled through the box my motherboard came in to see if I missed it, but cannot seem to find it there either. So, I'm assuming it's installed in!
other check your MB Model and REVISION thats printed on MB Ver:x.xx

then check bios version is up to date, if needs flashing read all info/warnings and Do Not Flash in windows only DOS
Old January 16, 2012, 09:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

By motherboard speaker, I am referring to this:

This speaker should be plugged into the same location the case buttons and HDD lights connect to on the motherboard. There are a couple pins on the motherboard specifically there for plugging in this speaker for BIOS beep codes.

Last edited by bignick277; January 16, 2012 at 09:24 PM.