Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Default Multiple BSOD Crashes while playing games.

Troubleshooting Processes Already Complete:

1. Reinstalled Windows (x2)
  2. Updated all drivers
  3. Ran memtest86+ (Once it gave me errors on test number 7, ran each stick individualy no problems, ran them all together again and no errors)
  4. Ran 3DMarks (x1), I will run it again to see if it will crash
  5. Disactivated drivers (Two possible culprits BitDefender and my graphics card)
Specifications:

Amd Phenom 2 x4 965
Saphirre Radeon HD 5850
Asus M4A78TE
Ram:
  1. Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB) at Memory Express This one is fully supported
  2. Corsair XMS3 TWIN3X 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB) at Memory Express The one gigabyte modules by corsair are supported however 2g is not confirmed supported. (Could some one find confirm (non)support)

Edit: Added RAM and Motherboard.
Edit: All on factory speeds.

First time it crashed was with Modern Warfare 2. It only happened while playing it. Then I tried Battlefield 3. I can play half a round then it crashes. After playing Battlefield 3 other games crash.

While in Ubuntu the screen does like the images while logging in however it cleares itself out. (Is this normal)

I believe it is a bad video card could some one tell me if I'm wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DMPFiles.zip (243.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: zip Images.zip (2.30 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by shammancer; January 16, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is your system overclocked? If if is your overclocked settings could be unstable.

Your best bet would be to set everything to default settings and run a stability test/play a game and see if the BSOD issues remains.
Old January 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
Rookie

Sorry I forgot to mention it. No my computer is not overclocked.
Old January 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I see that you have all 4 memory slots populated. What memory are you using? How aggressive are you memory timings? Some motherboards have issues having all 4 memory slots populated with certain memory modules. Take a look into that. You may need to remove one of the memory modules to get full system stability. Check your motherboards manufacturer website for approved memory modules and slot population. If you can't find your modules and population on the website, check the websites forums to see if anyone else is having a similar issue with the same modules.
Old January 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Rookie

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M4A78T-E
Ram:
  1. Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB) at Memory Express This one is fully supported
  2. Corsair XMS3 TWIN3X 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB) at Memory Express The one gigabyte modules by corsair are supported however 2g is not confirmed supported. (Could some one find confirm (non)support)
Old January 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wait a minute, your using 2 different memory module pairs. Do the latencies match? Do they both work with the same voltages? You really shouldn't mix memory modules like that because of issues with differing latencies and especially voltages associated with different module brands. You should always use matching sets in all slots.

EDIT:

Kingston: Latency of 9-9-9-? (probably 24) / Voltage required 1.5v

Corsair: Latency of 9-9-9-24 / Voltage required 1.6v

You have 2 different modules requiring 2 different voltages. Motherboards only account for one memory type when determining voltages. Which means no matter which voltage the motherboard sets for DRAM, it will either be too high or too low for one of the pairs. Which can easily account for system instability. I recommend you pick one set and stick with it. If you want 8GB of memory, then you should find a matching set to go with whichever pair you decide to stick with.

Last edited by bignick277; January 16, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old January 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Thing is I had them working together for a year without problems however it is just now that it is crashing. As well my computer does not crash unless under load.
Old January 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
Rookie

Alright so I was running 3DMarks 11. It crashed during the physics test. I will upload the .dmp file once I get the chance to get to my computer. Attached however is a picture of the BSOD.

Could this be the OpenCL driver?
Attached Images

Old January 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Memory issues can be weird ones to troubleshoot. I'm not saying that's definitely the problem with your computer. I'm only giving you suggestions to try. I had a memory issue last year. I had been running my computer for a year with no issues. I got the occasional BSOD once in a great while, but nothing that could be definitively attributed to anything that I could find. Then I started playing minecraft. And my BSOD's skyrocketed. It took me a week to narrow it down to the memory because I had to constantly replicate the issue and I only had limited time to work on it each day. Ran memtest found errors. So I thought, crap, now I have to figure out which module it is. Pulled out one module and retested. Errors completely gone. I thought great I found the faulty module on the first try. 2 seconds later reality set in and I realized that computers are never that simple. I put the module back it and retested. Errors came back. Pulled out another different module this time and retested. Errors completely gone again. So it wasn't a faulty module, so it had to be something else. After researching I found that my particular motherboard didn't like using my particular memory while populating all 4 slots. Rampage formula and Corsair Dominator PC-8500+ @1066mhz. 3 would work fine, but for some reason running four caused memory errors and system instability. Like I said, I'm not saying that it's definitely the problem, only that it could very easily be the issue. Voltages with memory can be a very finicky thing. That's why it threw up a huge red flag when you listed your differing memory modules. Hell, when that happened my computer it ran beautifully for a year as well. I was surprised as hell when I found the problem. If you want to do a slower test, then take out 2 of the modules and run with 4gb of one matched pair for a couple days and see if the problem goes away. If the problem goes away, then make a decision of how your going to proceed with a more permanent solution. If the problem persists, then try the other pair on their own for couple days. If it goes away, then same as before. If it doesn't then you can explore other avenues for possible causes for you issue. It sucks and it's inconvenient, but troubleshooting computers is a process of elimination. Sometimes it's a quick process, and sometimes it's a slow and methodical process. I hope this helps.

Also, if it only happens under load. How are your temps under load. Are they good, or are they high?
Old January 16, 2012, 06:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Take a look at this web page explaining this particular error.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error - TechSpot OpenBoards

Summarized description of problem is it usually associated with a driver problem or a memory issue. (Also Windows 7 is also based on Windows NT just like 2000 and XP)

Post of note by RayBay:

You can use free downloads: Belarc Advisor, Everest, or CPU-Z / CPUID to run an inventory of your computer, in order to start the fix. It is usually a Windows 2000 error, and is rare in WXP. Which OS do you have? It is usually a driver error, but figgering out where is difficult.

From Microsoft:
How to Troubleshoot a "STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" Error
Article ID : 291806 Last Review : May 30, 2007
Revision : 4.2
This article was previously published under Q291806
SYMPTOMS
When you use a Windows 2000-based computer, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen:
STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Parameter1, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4)

This behavior occurs because a driver or other problem damaged the input/output (I/O) driver structures. To troubleshoot this behavior:
1. Run hardware diagnostic tools that are provided by your computer manufacturer.
2. Disable all file system filter drivers, such as backup utilities, virus scanners, or firewall software.
3. View the following Microsoft Web site to verify that the hardware and the drivers for the hardware are compatible with Windows 2000:
Windows 7 Compatibility: Software Programs & Hardware Devices: Find Updates, Drivers, & Downloads (Windows 7 Compatibility: Software Programs & Hardware Devices: Find Updates, Drivers, & Downloads)
For information about the hardware on your computer, contact the manufacturer.
4. If you receive this error message randomly, or when you try to start a program, remove extra memory or have the random access memory (RAM) in your computer tested. This behavior may occur if you have bad RAM.
For more information about the parameters of the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT function, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Content Removed (Windows)