Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
Rookie

Exclamation After overclocking, constant black screen. HELP!

Alright so I am no noob at overclocking. I have successful over clocked many intel and AMD processors. I recently built a new system and tried increasing the bus from 200 to 235 with a multiplier of x14 to give me a 3.3Ghz overclock. I increased the stock voltage to 1.3v, after doing so I saved my setting and restarted my computer. Now I am just getting a constant black screen, nothing shows up no post, bios, etc. I have already tried resetting the cmos by removing the battery and waiting and using the jumper configuration inside of the motherboards manual. My computer had ZERO issues until I tried giving it a little overclock. Here are my specifications:

Mobo: Biostar TA990FXE
Ram: 2x4 GB DDR3 Gskill PC-12800
PSU: Cougar 80+ certified 650w
Cooler: Hyper 212+
GPU: Radeon 6870
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
Old January 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoffman View Post
Alright so I am no noob at overclocking. I have successful over clocked many intel and AMD processors. I recently built a new system and tried increasing the bus from 200 to 235 with a multiplier of x14 to give me a 3.3Ghz overclock. I increased the stock voltage to 1.3v, after doing so I saved my setting and restarted my computer. Now I am just getting a constant black screen, nothing shows up no post, bios, etc. I have already tried resetting the cmos by removing the battery and waiting and using the jumper configuration inside of the motherboards manual. My computer had ZERO issues until I tried giving it a little overclock. Here are my specifications:

Mobo: Biostar TA990FXE
Ram: 2x4 GB DDR3 Gskill PC-12800
PSU: Cougar 80+ certified 650w
Cooler: Hyper 212+
GPU: Radeon 6870
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
Did you go straight to 235 from 200 without testing in between? If you're not a noob at overclocking, why would you even increase the voltage from the very beginning, without first testing how far you could get on stock?

Personally it sounds like you killed the processor.

Edit: If you have another AM3 board around, put the Phenom II in it and see if it boots. If it doesn't, you killed the processor.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Pull the CMOS battery and unplug psu for 10 mins and make sure the bios was properly cleared, also maybe check ram and power connections while your at it, if not I am with the above poster in thinking you fried the processor.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you only went up to 3.3GHZ and 1.3V I can't see your processor being dead. Just clear your cmos and reset everything to defaults and try to boot. Maybe check out an overclocking guide for that chip. Just google it.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
Rookie

He already stated in the OP that he tried clearing CMOS via both pulling the battery and jumpers. To me, it suse sounds like something is dead. Let's start witht the basic list and work our way down:

1. Ensure that power to everything is secure. This may sound silly, but double check everything; even fans.
2. Remove everything you don't need and try it with a bare minimum of components: CPU, 1 stick of RAM, HDD. Use your onboard video to see if you get a screen for bootup.
3. If 2 doesn't work at all, you may be in a serious pickle... Does your PSU smell like burning electronics? Visually inspect your mobo for any scorch marks. On your first unsuccessful bootup, did you hear any pops or sizzles? If not, the folks above me may be right. You may have damaged either your mobo or your processor. Your best bet at this point is to try and find another CPU or mobo to test with. This may not be easy...
4. If 2 did work (you get a bootup farther than you did before), start slowly adding your components back in, one by one. Start with one more stick of RAM; then all of them. Try your GPU next as it is the biggest power hog. If you get to a point where you got a boot up, added something and then it won't work, then one of two things is most likely happening: either that one component is toast or that one component is pushing your PSU over its limit. Try testing that one component in another system to check.

Fixing issues like this are usually exhausting, expensive and frustrating. Do no rush through anything because you could damage more.

Oh, and one more thing: If you are a self-proclaimed "noob" at something, do your homework first. Otherwise you are going to simply burn up your cash.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notagiant View Post
Oh, and one more thing: If you are a self-proclaimed "noob" at something, do your homework first. Otherwise you are going to simply burn up your cash.
Quote:
Alright so I am no noob at overclocking
He says he's NOT a noob at this, I had to take a second look myself at it when I read it.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Did you go straight to 235 from 200 without testing in between? If you're not a noob at overclocking, why would you even increase the voltage from the very beginning, without first testing how far you could get on stock?

Personally it sounds like you killed the processor.

Edit: If you have another AM3 board around, put the Phenom II in it and see if it boots. If it doesn't, you killed the processor.
I doubt that the processor is fried, as I've overclocked the exact same processor at 3.9 with no issue whatsoever. Still, I'll test it on another motherboard and see just to make sure.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Pull the CMOS battery and unplug psu for 10 mins and make sure the bios was properly cleared, also maybe check ram and power connections while your at it, if not I am with the above poster in thinking you fried the processor.
I did reset the CMOS, with the power unplugged, for an overkill of 30 minutes. Still nothing...
Old January 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoffman View Post
I doubt that the processor is fried, as I've overclocked the exact same processor at 3.9 with no issue whatsoever. Still, I'll test it on another motherboard and see just to make sure.
Every processor is different. Don't ever assume you can do the same to one that you did to another. I had a Q6600 that couldn't even handle a 100MHz overclock no matter how much voltage I threw at it, but another that I managed a 1GHz overclock on. Same stepping for both.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

why is it people try to fix computer problems without even considering using the speaker. Those beeps mean something... if there are no beeps and nothing is working the mobo is dead.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Tags
1055t , biostar , black screen , overclock , screen