Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2012, 09:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Ok, hold on, woah there. I think you posted this to the wrong topic. LCD Poster? Graphical Artifacts? The dude has a black screen, that's not a graphical artifact. The thing won't even POST. Did I miss an entire page of information or something?

Edit: Ok yeah, you're definitely confusing this thread with this one: Need some help!

You should probably read the thread first before posting a literal essay in it.

LOL! Thanks for catching this. After reading that post, I was convinced that 'I' had two threads completely confused.

That being said, a speaker could help this situation. Some motherboards come with 4 status lights on them that have different error codes associated with how they light up. I went ahead and looked up your mobo and read the manual. Go to page 17 (TA990FXE :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR link there) and you will see that you have a BIOS post code indicator (it also dubs as a CPU temperature indicator after a successful boot). Take a look at the post code you are getting and then refer to chapter 7.4. Oddly enough, chapter 7.3 is the AMI BIOS beep code section... I suggest you look there as well. Between sections 7.3 and 7.4, you should be able to troubleshoot your issues.

Now, if you are not getting ANY beeps at all or getting ANY BIOS post code (which you are probably not since you cannot even get a screen image, i.e. you are not posting at all), then I am still going to go with my thought that you might have a toasted motherboard.

There are a ton of codes in 7.3 and 7.4 of your manual that are WAY over my head though.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lmao.. my bad. I hadn't been awake long and was stressing about going to the dentist when I wrote that. Got the threads confused. My fault, sorry about that man.
Old January 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
why is it people try to fix computer problems without even considering using the speaker. Those beeps mean something... if there are no beeps and nothing is working the mobo is dead.
^ not true I had these symptoms you describe, was fixed by pulling cmos battery for 10 mins.
Old January 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

firstly I didn't describe any symptoms the op did. So in reply to the above post... if the motherboard won't beep (series of tests to make it beep) if it doesnt beep its dead. So yes... infact it is true.

Most of the time if the mobo doesn't beep it's dead. Mobo's should always beep when certain components are missing or not working. There is a very specific series of tests people can do to test motherboards but I rarely see anyone posting the trouble shooting steps. Making a motherboard beep is important and I would guess that you specifically didn't do these particular tests unless your motherboard most certainly would have beeped. They all do.

Determining whether the board is still good when it won't boot or post is critical and using the speaker to figure this out is more important than screwing around wasting endless hours fixing something that may be completely fried. Simply yanking out the battery is definately a good 1st step but the OP has already done this and has the very same problem. So obviously... with my deductive reasoning this isn't the issue. Perhaps the battery is dead? But no... it would still post.

Besides... I'm pretty sure the OP already pulled the battery.

Hardware trouble shooting 101 bios beep codes. Invented to save people time. Not that it means a great deal to you or anyone else here I am certified and have been for quite some time now.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; January 18, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So to the OP...
  • plug in the power connector to the motherboard with nothing else plugged in. That includes the cpu.
  • battery is in
  • cmos reset jumper is NOT set to reset infact it shouldn't be on there
  • plug in the speaker
Short the start button pins on the board with a screw driver or jumper pin or short piece of wire. The mobo should scream at you like a raped ape. YAY motherboard isn't fried.
  • Replace the cpu and HSF
  • one stick of ram
Boot the motherboard again like described above it should beep at you regarding a missing video card if it's doing nothing try removing the ram. It should beep. If it doesn't or nothing is happening again perhaps the cpu is fried or has a bent pin.

If you have gotten this far you are well on your way... install the vid card and try again.

these steps don't take that long to do and ends up saving you time down the road. You will very quickly determine if something is dead or not.

Computer POST and beep codes
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 19, 2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Sounds like a dead cpu topic, just read up on the hiper 212+ vs 100 TDP is hits 65c

your cpu stock is like TDP 125
max temp for your cpu is 62c

And then you overclocked...good one.
Old January 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree... which is why I suggested making the mobo beep. That way you know instantly the mobo is fine and the perhaps the cpu is not.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 19, 2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I agree... which is why I suggested making the mobo beep. That way you know instantly the mobo is fine and the perhaps the cpu is not.
+1

btw all my computers have pc speakers ;) and full sizes ones at that.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
Rookie

I'm just gonna RMA the processor AND the motherboard. Those are the only two things I couldn't test (I do actually have another computer I can troubleshoot with, stoanee). We'll see how that works... With those two components out of the way I don't think there's room for any more errors.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Let us know how it turns out! Good luck......

Tags
1055t , biostar , black screen , overclock , screen