Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2012, 03:38 PM
Rookie

Default Computer won't boot

Hey everyone, I have a big problem on my hands and I am in dire need of help.

So my problem is, today my computer crashed while booting up Dota2, this happens sometimes so I think no big deal and restart my computer. Upon restarting i select boot into windows normally, only this time it just hangs at starting windows.

I let it go for about an hour then I realize something is wrong. I then try everything, removing sticks of RAM, HDDs, DVD-Rom, enabled and disabled all settings in the bios. I also tried booting from the windows disk but it will either get stuck at the press any button to boot from DVD screen or after loading windows files. On top of all this i tried booting off of a ubuntu 10.10 disk but even that hung at the purple screen when loading into it.

Please if anyone out there can point me in a good direction it would be much appreciated this thing is driving me mad!

My system specs:

Gigabyte p55A-UD3
Sapphire 6850
4gb Mushkiin Blackline
Core i5 750
WD caviar black 500gb and 1000gb
Old January 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Probably a dead board.
Old January 15, 2012, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Are you sure about it? I can go get a new board tomorrow, after trying my friend's RAM. I also had the onboard NIC die on it so it does have some issues. Just the hassle to RMA with Gigabyte is a pain from what I heard
Old January 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3b00m View Post
Are you sure about it? I can go get a new board tomorrow, after trying my friend's RAM. I also had the onboard NIC die on it so it does have some issues. Just the hassle to RMA with Gigabyte is a pain from what I heard
I would think the same although you won't be sure unless you replace it. But best guess is the motherboard is dead or dying.

My other option would be a funky PSU if you haven't tested with another one. Cover all the bases.
Old January 15, 2012, 05:13 PM
Rookie

I just got a new Seasonic x650, and the crashes with Dota2 has been happening before that, so I doubt its that
Old January 15, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 2.0) and (rev. 1.0)
look on MB for Rev:x.xx
to determind what REVISION of MB for the bios are different for chips have changed
match the correct bios to MB REVISION
update bios in DOS ONLY not windows
read all notes/warnings about flashing bos
Old January 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

memtest your memory

boot with 1 good stick

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old January 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
Rookie

Yeah I will try updating the BIOS and trying different memory I will post results tomorrow night!
Old January 16, 2012, 06:42 AM
Rookie

Tried my friend's RAM same result, either getting stuck at the starting windows screen or just before that.

Will try updating the BIOS tonight after work and see what will happen
Old January 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just a shot in the dark. But motherboards don't typically die randomly, although the fried nic is a bad sign. But the fact that you can pass post and partially load windows before the crash and before that it died while gaming would lead me to 2 things to check first before exploring a new motherboard. Especially considering your motherboard isn't exactly old and has been running for a while. I would check the PSU. Put your old PSU in with minimum connections. You said the problem existed before and I understand that, but your saying it now won't boot into windows is a new issue. PSU's that fail can cause that issue. So it's best to at least eliminate it as a possible issue. If it at least boots into windows with the old PSU where the new one won't, then you at least have an avenue to explore. I would also look at cooling. I would check your heatsinks. Make sure the thermal compound on the processor hasn't been compromised. Maybe even replace the thermal paste altogether just to be sure. I know it sounds weird, but I've seen this happen before. If the thermal compound on the CPU is compromised or become compromised, it can cause the CPU to overheat very rapidly causing crashes whenever a load is put on the CPU. And you'd be surprised how much of a load Windows booting process can put on the CPU. Before just outright buying a new motherboard, explore every possibility, no matter how unlikely. If it's not a possibility, then don't test it. But if it is a possibility, no matter how unlikely, then it should at least be tested in order to eliminate it all together as a possible issue. Otherwise you could be kicking yourself later for not checking.

Last edited by bignick277; January 16, 2012 at 02:37 PM.