Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Default ASUS - Chassis Intruded FIXED!

I figure this post might be helpful to someone somewhere.

We just got a used Asus Maximus II Formula board cheap. I was testing something out, needed a jumper so I pulled a random one.

Turned out to be the Chassis Intrusion Jumper, after it was pulled (even after being reseated) the board was locked out. Post to a Chassis Intruded ! System Halt.

Horrible 'feature' if you ask me.

Normally, you would RMA at this point, but this board being old was just out of Warranty.

HERE IS THE FIX. (I will add pictures if anyone wants later).

There is a pin sticking out beside the Chassis Intrusion jumper, if you solder a wire to that and then attach to the s72 beside it on the board it will bypass this "feature" and your board will be able to boot again.

Now, for our fix, if we take the Chassis Intruded jumper off, the s72 chip does emit some smoke, but.. hey, better than a non working motherboard!
Old January 15, 2012, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Or pull the Battery out for 10 mins so the board resets back to default settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Or pull the Battery out for 10 mins so the board resets back to default settings.
That doesn't work, you don't think I would have tried that before soldering a wire onto a chip?

Had the battery out for 3 days.
Old January 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrake View Post
That doesn't work, you don't think I would have tried that before soldering a wire onto a chip?

Had the battery out for 3 days.
I have no idea what you would do, your a new member, new members sometimes do the stupidest things imaginable.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old January 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I have no idea what you would do, your a new member, new members sometimes do the stupidest things imaginable.
And apparently old members don't google anything before they cut down new members?

Noted.
Old January 15, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
And apparently old members don't google anything before they cut down new members?

Noted.
I will say this once, pulling the batt or clearing cmos did fix that issue for ppl on that board, yes google told me that. Other than that I went with my own exp with chassis intrusion and that is as stated pull the battery or clear cmos. Both those are legitimate fixs for both that model of board and other board featuring chassis intrusion.

As stated I have no idea what you would do or know , you would be surprised at the stupid things some new members post, thinking they just reinvented the wheel when in fact a much simpler easier fix is out there.
So as I said pull the battery, you deiced to have attitude with your comment of dont you think i would have tried?
How the **** am I to know what you have tried, maybe you should have included that VITAL info in your OP?

If you want to give attitude you might want to do it with another member I am to old and cranky to put up with it here as any member will tell you.

Have a Good Day

Quote:
Old January 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I will say this once, pulling the batt or clearing cmos did fix that issue for ppl on that board, yes google told me that. Other than that I went with my own exp with chassis intrusion and that is as stated pull the battery or clear cmos. Both those are legitimate fixs for both that model of board and other board featuring chassis intrusion.

As stated I have no idea what you would do or know , you would be surprised at the stupid things some new members post, thinking they just reinvented the wheel when in fact a much simpler easier fix is out there.
So as I said pull the battery, you deiced to have attitude with your comment of dont you think i would have tried?
How the **** am I to know what you have tried, maybe you should have included that VITAL info in your OP?

If you want to give attitude you might want to do it with another member I am to old and cranky to put up with it here as any member will tell you.

Have a Good Day
Wow, another member is that a threat? What a place!

I posted something that I figured might be helpful to someone. I thought I was SOL much like MANY other people on the internet. There are literally 1000s of people all over who have posted about this exact issue and I was rather excited it actually worked. I had to read badly translated Russian to verify what I was about to do, and again I had never seen it actually done on a Maximus II Formula board.

Why do you feel the need to cut me down? Is that a good way to make new members feel welcome? No, hey new user, welcome to the board, thanks for your post to try to possibly help other people with your experiences??

I am just as old and cranky, so. In the future don't be a jerk!
Old January 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Old January 15, 2012, 02:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

WTF IS GOING ON!
Old January 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look, may I just say that not everybody who comes across this will have done extensive googling. For all we know someone might find this before being told to pull the battery. In addition not everybody has a soldering iron or knows how to use it; this can lead to people desperately trying other ways of getting it done and that can result in damage. Even people who can kinda wield an iron may not be very experienced and tend to overheat parts.

I would suggest that you instruct to pull the battery first and then break out the soldering iron as plan B. Just to cover all bases.
That is to say, blow out the chip if they want, but they must be encouraged to try other means first. It may work, it may not, there is still a chance and since it is non-destructive it is worth trying anyway.

In addition I am not trying to be a dick..
Quote:
I was testing something out, needed a jumper so I pulled a random one.
But I generally advise against dinking with random jumpers. They are on the board for a reason and if you need extras then grab one from a dead drive or dead board. Better yet remove them from dead drives and boards before you recycle them and keep a stash of jumpers, both the larger common ones and also the ittybitty ones they used to use on old SCSI drives and whatnot.

Last edited by MacJunky; January 15, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Closed Thread