Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2008, 10:04 PM
MVP
F@H

Default GA-P35-DS3R - no bios/boot

I got my HR-05 IFX and installed it this evening. I even got a small 80mm fan for it, and could not wait to try it out.

After some difficulty getting the old NB heat sink off, I installed the HR-05 IFX. Installed everything back into my case and plugged all cables into their right spot.

Press the power button, all fans turn on, and I notice that the little one takes a few extra seconds to kick on and light up It's plugged right into the board, so I think to myself maybe it's not a big deal.

I look at my monitor, and there is nothing. No BIOS, no booting into XP, nothing. All the components in my system are on, but nothing comes onto the screen.

I have checked all the cables, replaced the cables, unplugged the wee-fan, checked my DVI connections, and have run out of ideas. I have no clue where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old March 13, 2008, 12:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

by your sig im going to assume that everything was fine with the system until now? the only two things i can come up with would be: did anything get bumped/dented/scratched on the board during the removal/install of the HR-05 IFX? have you tried resetting the cmos? i doubt the cmos reset would help, but who knows. it never hurts to try...

at this point, totally out of ideas, my next move would be to show up at your place with beer/pizza, but you are a bit too far away...hopefully someone else has a better idea, or is closer to bringing some beer/pizza over there.

good luck
Old March 13, 2008, 05:24 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

1. Can you define "some difficulty taking off the NB heatsink"? I hope you didn't damage the chip.
2. Time to try this: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ery-guide.html
3. Did you take out the board to install the new heatsink? If so, you may now have a short with the case somewhere - setup the board outside of the case with CPU/GPU/Ram only and try to start it.

Good luck.
Old March 13, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh man- doesn't sound promising- all I can say beyond Charlie's good recommendations are triple check ALL cables- something couls have gotten bumped or moved- I know it's obvious but check out the video card too. And you might want to get some beer for yourself
Old March 13, 2008, 07:29 AM
MVP
F@H

Thankfully the NB was not damaged - I am writing this on my computer. The difficulty were those damn plastic screws. I ended up using wire cutters to remove them, since I do not plan on using the stock HS ever again.

I think Charlie was right and I had a short somewhere in my computer. I took everything out, removed CMOS battery, shorted the CMOS to clear it, and reinstalled the system into my case, but I did not put the 80mm fan on the HR-05, and I booted up to a bios checksum error. At least I was seeing something on my screen.

Powered off, plugged in my HDs, set the boot priority and I did not get the checksum error, but I got a blue screen. The wonderful blue screen of the windows XP login! (scared you there for a second, didn't I?) Thanks for the responses and that 10 step recovery guide. I would have never thought to reinstall into the case because of a short...

I wonder if it could have been one corner of one of the fan clips from the HR-05 touching the back of the 8800gtx? I thought it wasn't, but it is so tight back there that it definitely could have been the case. I hope I can work around that and still put the fan in since the HR-05 isn't doing much for my mobo temps (unless the mobo sensor in speedfan isn't on the northbridge but somewhere else).

Thanks so much for all the quick, concise responses. I really appreciate all the help! I guess since its fixed there will be no beer and pizza for me, heh.

**Edit: Appears that the ds3r motherboard sensor that speedfan picks up is in fact not the NB temperature, but a sensor under the GPU according to some forum discussions at anandtech. Looks like I will have to get a laser thermometer of some sort to really see the improvements. **

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD

Last edited by Mr. Cipher; March 13, 2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: New info
Old March 13, 2008, 08:25 AM
Top Prospect

I had this issue. I'm sure you've found out that HR-05 is a piece of junk. Anyone wants one I have one sitting in a box here they can have it.

It doesnt like to sit in the right spot, it has really bad contact. Mine actually shifted so that it was touching the board and shorting out between components on the board ( I have no idea what they are.. resistors transistors, some kind if of istors ) But it made my bios LCD readout 8.8. which is impossible according to DFI. It was obviously just shorted.

Reseated the heatsink and it started working. If you want some serious airflow for it, the fan from a stock Conroe heatsink clips on like it was meant to live there. I used an 80mm Hiper 15mm thick fan later on though.

Eventually I just swapped it for water. There was only a 5 degree diff between the craptastic DFI heatsink and the HR. Water dropped it by 15. :)
CASE: NZXT Lexa Blackline PSU : OCZ Gamestream 700w