Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
Rookie

Default SOLVED: PC Issues (BSOD and EVGA GTX 560 Ti Problems)

I've been having a pair of issues with my new system. One is related to the graphics card I've purchased, and the other is a recent Windows Update which has started causing my computer to start throwing BSOD errors.

System Specs:

Intel Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 Motherboard
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB
OCZ Z-Series 1000W 80+ Gold Certified 24Pin ATX 83A 12V PSU
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

So, the first issue relates to the Video Card. I started using the card with full settings from the start two days ago. Played Skyrim on Ultra Settings, nearly died from awesomeness. Powered down the PC, went to bed. Woke up and "No Video Input" on the Monitor after booting the system. I thought, well, must be a DOA. Before I shipped it, though, I thought I should check out if it really is not working. I tried it both my PCI-e slots and nothing. I tried it in my brother's PC as a last resort. It worked.

With that in mind, I took his card and tossed it into my PC. It worked. I'm confused, but I'm guessing I have a driver issue, since I did update the video drivers while I was using the computer the first time. I will be rolling them back once I post this.

Unfortunately, I cannot even use the system right now. I had the onboard video to keep me going for a while. I used the system yesterday and ran the Service Pack 1 Update for Windows 7. I dread this update. My laptop only recently took to it, so I was skeptical about using it. Still, I went for it. Now, I have BSOD's after about 3-5 minutes of the PC being on in Normal Mode. It's online in Safe Mode. I figure I'm here for one issue, might as well get another looked at, too.

Here is the Error Information:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 4105

Additional Information about the Problem:

BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88004847390
BCP3: FFFFF880085D3DD0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0 (Recently Restored to before SP1 Install, since the BSOD began after this series of Updates)
Product: 256_1

Files that Help Describe the Problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\010812-60996-01.dmp
C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-78062-0.sysdata.xml

This is the first PC I've built in about 7 years. I sure am having a good go of it, lol

Last edited by Valneroth; January 10, 2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Problem has been Solved
Old January 8, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

maybe that PSU is fuggi , havew you tried different pcie connection from that PSU
Old January 8, 2012, 09:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You didnt have any issue with the heat? Also, have you tried swapping and or just using one stick of ram at a time? Try borrowing some ram and try that see if that works?
Old January 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Firstly, dont "rollback" GPU Drivers, did you try a "clean install" of GPU Drivers, as in Driver Sweeper, CCleaner, Safe Mode etc etc? If not try this.
As the Card works fine in your Bros PC I highly doubt there is anything wrong with that 560ti.

If its still borked after a clean Driver Install, try a clean Windows Install and update it entirely (including SP1).......or you could try popping the PSU out of your Bros PC and try it in yours.
As someone else mentioned running 1 RAM Stick, load n run Memtest to test your Memory.
Sometimes troubleshooting is easy, sometimes it takes time.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

i see GA-Z68AP-D3 has two MB REVISIONs(means manufactor change a chip on MB) so look on MB for Rev.x.xx printed to get correct bios update

Note only with MB Rev.1 after bios version F2 you need to load intel RST driver 10.5.0.1027 or above

if need to flash bios do it in DOS only not windows

Old January 8, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

check the 8 wires plugged in video pci-e socket

yellow wire should be on the opposite side of plug lock

Last edited by KaptCrunch; January 8, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:40 PM
Rookie

Default Re: PC Issues (BSOD and EVGA GTX 560 Ti Problems)

Shadowmeph/KaptCrunch:

I did try using different power ports on the PSU. On my brother's card, which I believe is a GTS 250, it ran on both of the 6-Pin Connectors used with the PSU. Since it's modular, I tried both standard connectors and a new Modular 6-Pin Connector, with no changes.

I may ask about the BIOS flashing later, KaptCrunch, should it come down to that.

EDIT: The card uses 6-Pins, not 8-Pins, but they were plugged in correctly, yes.

Your_friendly_gamer:

I was asked about heating issues on the card the other day, but since it only worked the one day, I haven't had a chance to check things out since it stopped working.

rjbarker:

I'm not 100% sure about the memory, but I will test it out. It did show 8.00 GB in the Computer Properties (Windows Index Rating screen), plus the BIOS shows 8192MB in memory, and that's throwing me. I will test it, though.

I'll check out those programs and run them to see if that cleans things up. I saw some mention of them before, but wanted to check and see what was recommended first-hand, so I don't download bad programs. Can all of the testing/cleaning programs you mentioned be run in Safe Mode, or will I need to fix the Windows issues first?
Old January 8, 2012, 09:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Try clean installing windows first.m. Back upp your data on an external hard drive, remove the previous version of windows from your current drive, install windows, install all windows updates until you can't search for any, install all your motherboard drivers and see!
Old January 8, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default valneroth its late do this when rested, if tried things happen

after check bios updates
back up your data
get sp1
get all hardware drivers that are WHQL for your OS 32 or 64bit for MB
also intel RST current driver
put all on a disk or usb stick for fresh install

format drive
Old January 9, 2012, 12:12 AM
Rookie

Default Re: PC Issues (BSOD and EVGA GTX 560 Ti Problems)

I will be running through most of these steps tomorrow night. I will update this thread based on what happens. Thanks for all the information.