Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2012, 03:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD and HDD issues

Alright so I recently installed a program called SteamJunction which allows you to have games on a different drive still accessible by your active steam client on another. Roughly 30 minutes after I had switched a game to my HDD and closed the program down I experienced a blue screen. I had my F@H client up and running as well as Steam installing a game while I was watching southpark. The video started to move really slow so I paused it and 5 seconds later the blue screen popped up. I had to go into the repair wizard and restore to a previous state before it would boot windows (I have windows 7 professional 64bit).

Now my HDD is not showing up under my drives. It does not show up in the device manager and although it does show up in Disk Management (and it claims to be healthy) I am not able to partition it. It gives me the error that "The request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error." whether or not I try to initialize it as MBR or GPT. My HDD is a WD 7200rpm 1TB Caviar Black. It also does not show up in the BIOS.

Not only is my SSD not up to normal speed (it is maybe faster than an HDD when loading windows but not by much) but I also can not install anything on it. It keeps giving me the error that it either can't find a Temp folder to put things in or can't create one. I had my browser set to DL things to my HDD but even though I switched it to my SSD it still fails to install as it tried to use a temp folder on my HDD.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give...
I want my gaming RIG back =(

~LS
Old January 4, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That kind of sounds like a sata controller dying, do you have the B3 revision of your motherboard?
Old January 4, 2012, 04:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I...don't know what that means...
Old January 4, 2012, 04:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Look on the box. If it has a B3 sticker, or has B3 as part of the part number, then it's a B3 revision board. The original released P67/Z68 chips had an issue with SATA controllers burning out, and got recalled.

Have you tried moving the HDD SATA cable to a different port?
Old January 4, 2012, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Model number starts with a B6, I have tried to change the port but it simply doesnt detect it at all in a different one. I only have 2 SATA 6g so the other ones I tried are SATA 3g.
Old January 4, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok.

Don't do anything like gaming or installing programs when folding is running.You're just asking for a bluescreen.

It's possible your problem is purely (corrupt) drivers....

Old January 4, 2012, 04:56 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Alright I'll stay away from installing when I'm folding (I never fold when I game). Should I reinstall the MoBo drivers or do I have to find drivers for the SSD/HDD to have them working properly again?
Old January 4, 2012, 04:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You could try installing the Intel RST drivers.http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...age+Technology
If that doesn't work, then I'd try reinstalling your mobo drivers.
Old January 4, 2012, 05:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

e:\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred.

Try saving to a different location.

That is the error I get whenever I try to download something.
Old January 4, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
do you have the B3 revision of your motherboard?
If we are talking about the sig rig, it's a Z68, that question does not apply here. Try a bios reset, switch sata ports around, maybe a bios update if is the case. You can get your gaming rig back, question is are you willing to do a full reinstall of Win on it? Just an idea : try to change the HDD letter in disk management, this is how I got my hdd back after a win7 install that was not seing it anymore, despite being seen in bios and disk management tool.

Last edited by MARSTG; January 4, 2012 at 07:35 PM.