Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default numberpad on hp dv9000

ok heres the down low.... I've got a laptop here... an hp dv9000z. its a 17" model with a numaric keypad on it. The problem is, when the numlock key is turned on the keyboard "number pad" enables. funnything is though, this pc isnt supposed to have a numeric keypad on the keyboard as it's got its own dedicated keys, same as a pc keyboard. I've completely reinstalled windows, and flashed the bios with the most recent file to no effect. i've got 3 similar laptops here also all dv9xxxx with the numeric keypad and i cant get the numeric keypad on the keyboard to work on any of them so i'm assuming its not "supposed" to be there.

anyone have any idea what could cause this or how to fix it? I'm guessing RMA because i simply cant think of any user solutions for it, but i'm hoping one of you might have a suggestion. : D

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 10, 2008, 01:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try pressing "fn" + "num lk" at the same time?

That's the only thing that jumped out from the HP site without knowing the exact model #

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 10, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I tried that just now, and it looks like the Fn button isnt working. i cant print screen or anything with it. i tried it on my own and it didnt cause it to happen to it. i contacted hp through live chat and they told me to send it in. i'm not ready to give up yet though
]

vista 64 on these rigs
Old March 26, 2008, 04:50 PM
Rookie

Exclamation dv9000 dv9009cl

I am having the same problem with my dv9009cl.
I already tried press fn+NumLock in the same time.
I guess that the fn key is functioning because fn+f6/f7 rise or low the screen brightness. However, when I press fn+PrintScreen nothing happens (when I press Ctrl+v in word nothing happens!).
In other times when I formatted my notebook's HD I didn't have this type of problem.
Since already I thank the attention.
Old March 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

We ended up returning the laptop for repairs on that computer. I installed xp pro, ubuntu linux and vista 64, i ran a live copy of damn small linux and mini PE and in every one of those operating environments i had the same issue so i think that pretty much rules out the question of it being a software issue. I also switched out the physical keyboard with another hp keyboard, changed bioses and sat on live chat with HP tech support for a whole day and all we came up with was that the laptop in question was refurbished and the actual model number in the bios was for an intel system when the laptop was in fact an AMD. (try to ram that into the minds of hp tech support when they're trying to get you to install a bios for an intel based system :P ) My best guess is that when they refurbished the laptop, somehow they got a keyboard controller that was for a regular laptop keyboard (one without the numberpad) installed and the only way to actually fix it would be to change the motherboard (unless the keyboard controller isnt integrated, wich i dont know for sure)

it sounds like you have the exact same problem anglo, so my suggestion is to take it back in for warrenty, or if you cant, either get used to it (i know its super annoying) or use an external keyboard.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old March 31, 2008, 05:40 PM
Rookie

Post dv9000 / dv9009cl

Thanks for the quick and complete answer!

I tried almost everything, but I didn't get to solve this problem too.

I contact hp by e-mail, but they think that is a problem related with windows or regional options (even I inform them that I have tried others operational systems and the problem was the same!).

In my last e-mail I ask for my old BIOS. I still will try this. I think that is a BIOS problem because the Fn+PrtSCr key changes to Fn+Scroll key (besides the change numbers for letters).

So, let's wait by hp answer.

Thanks for your help until now.
Old April 20, 2008, 09:28 AM
Rookie

Default hp notebook dv9000 dv9009cl problems keyboard numpad prtsc

Hello Tzetsin and everybody

I tried a lot of times fix the problem that i having with my notebook dv9009cl. Beyond the "NumLock" problems, the "print screen" key changes to "sroll" key.

The problem begins when I update the BIOS (therefore after I formatted HD and install windows). I also believe that this happens with refurbished notebooks principally. Maybe these are Franksteins notebooks, and the BIOS is for dv9000 news notebooks (and not for Franksteineds notebooks!)...

Tzetsin, I saw that you also tried change BIOS in your notebook... Do you tried to install older BIOS versions too?

Tanks for the help.

PS: After a enormity e-mails exchange with hp technicians I desisted. In the last recommendation, they ask I send my notebook to US for repairs, because is a US model...
Old April 20, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i did install an older bios, just one version older though. Did your laptop not have this problem when you first got it? only after you updated your bios?

vista 64 on these rigs
Old April 20, 2008, 02:33 PM
Rookie

Default hp notebook dv9000 dv9009cl problems keyboard numpad print screen

The problem begins in the last time that I formatted laptop's hard drive. In that moment, I downloaded all drivers and BIOS update from hp site (Software & Driver downloads*HP Pavilion dv9009cl Notebook PC).

All the evidences takes me to imagine that the problem is related with the BIOS. I already formatted my laptop a plenty of times in the past (but I never updated the BIOS before!), and I never had problems.
Old April 20, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i figured it was in the bios too, but i couldnt get an accurate model number for the unit so i didnt want to end up installing anything that would brick the unit, the fella that owned the laptop had bought the warrenty so i told him he might as well use it... he sent it in, but i dont know what became of it, if anything yet. i'll ask him when i see him next though... if you can roll backt the bios i'd suggest doing that, to the one you had originally.

vista 64 on these rigs