Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2011, 08:11 PM
Rookie

Default Video Card acting up

Hi,

I have used this BFG GTX 285 2GB OCE card for nearly 2 years. but recently, whenever I am playing any video, and go on chrome on sites like youtube or something, the card will crap out and give me a black screen and the media player program will crash.

This is getting annoying. I went from being able to play video games to not doing anything....

If anyone knows any solution, it's greatly appreciated!

Hoped you all had an awesome Chrstimas/Boxing Day!
Old December 27, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

try to use VLC as media program. Remove the nv driver completely, reboot, reinstall one you know is good and does not have problems. For example I use 260.99 on a GX2, should work fine with yours too.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ya wipe the drivers as said above, but if that doesn't work then it might be solder micro fractures which means you need to bake the card in the oven or heat gun it.
Old December 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

pull the heat sink and check the thermal paste
Old December 27, 2011, 12:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Might be chrome, or bad drivers, I would uninstall drivers via Nvidia driver install, run driver sweeper and ccleaner to make sure the old display drivers are fully gone, reinstall drivers.

Also while you are at it, carefully take the gpu apart and change the thermal paste/pads as they do wear out after awhile, give it a good cleaning, and check the solder and such as Adz suggested, sometimes the heat/cooling can crack or microfracture the solder, baking can sometimes help a "dead" card come back to life :)