Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2007, 07:14 AM
Rookie

Default i need help

sorry for sunding dumb
but i have been reading u guys a bit and i think i can trust your opinions
i just bought myself an hp m7760n (e6400 2.13ghz, 2 gigs ram, 500 gig hd) with no video card
i want a high performance long lasting system for online gaming and the like(my old ones over 7 years old and still usable). So I m leaning towards an nvidia 8800 gtx + 2 xtra gigs of ram. I ll need a power supply to but i know nothing about those(the hp s an 300 or 350 w i think).I m also out of the loop for compatibility processor motherboards ect.. i need your inpt please.
thank you
Old March 3, 2007, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay how much do you have to spend? So you are looking to purchase 2 more gigs of ram and a new gfx card plus psu. gfx are going to drop with the release of the 86xx/89xx so you might want to keep that in mind.
PSU I like fsp psus good bang for the buck but again how much are you looking to spend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 3, 2007, 07:28 AM
Rookie

well i know the 8800 gtx around 600 to 800 and well ram s 180 to 280
and psu i have no idea
i guess 1000 to 1500 would be my max(canadian dollars)
Old March 3, 2007, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As you know, the biggest performance gains you could hope for would come from a new GPU and overclocking your CPU- but from what I hear, overclocking is out of the question on the proprietary pc that you have- sswilson or supergrover might be able to confirm this, but your bios is probably locked up.

This may not be possible, bit if you're looking for max performance, and you JUST recently bought that pc from somewhere like futureshop, I would return it for refund and start from scratch as you'll have a much better system if it's based on a better motherboard. Don't be alarmed by this suggestion because there's certainly nothing wrong with your system, and with a good gpu, it will certainly be kick-ass!

As for the Ram-- if you want to save money, I wouldn't bother buying two more gigs at this point- you won't see a great performance increase at this point for the expense.

As for the 8800gtx GPU- I would make sure that it will fit inside that case, as sometimes those prebundled pc's from the big makers are pretty tight inside and those cards are really big.

For the psu, I would go one of two ways-- buy a decent 550W psu that will do you fine for that system, or you could go for something beefier that might do for your next build as well-- but where you only buils every six years, and you won't be overclocking on your current system, I might goo the 550 route and save some money-- let me know which route you think you'll do and I'll make some suggestions
Old March 3, 2007, 08:14 AM
Rookie

since i really dont know enough about overclocking and no one around here could help me. i think i ll keep this system(good guess on the future shop
unless its considered crap(like i said my last system was an amd athlon 750 k2, it was tweakable) so this is a major upgrade for me.
as for the power and gfx card i just wanted something that this system will handle for as long as possible.I guess i m really looking for a system ment for gaming that will support a good 5-8 years in the future.(not necessarly at the best resolution/settings).I m just aiming at the big stuff cause technology usually jumps quite fast nowadays.I really appriciate your inputs
again thanks so much
Old March 3, 2007, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing wrong with your system at all!!

Here's a good power supply- it a 700w OCZ GameXStream and it's $117- it's lots of power for your purposes, but it's not much more money than 550's and 600's so probably a good bet.

What kind of RAM do you have? do you know what the specs are?
Old March 3, 2007, 08:30 AM
Rookie

sorry for my ingnorence but the most i can tell you is DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4200 (533MHz) 2048 mb (2x1g)
xtra question my fsb says 1066 MHz vs ram 533 there must be room for improvment?and also installing a power suply only consist of unplugging and replugging the new one(+ physicly repacing them)right?
Old March 3, 2007, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HP just arnt overclockable as the bios is locked. That said clockgen should work or a similar software utility.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=eVGAFor a gfx card I like evga they make damn good products and there step-up program is awesome
http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp That ocz psu that babr linked to is a decent psu that would do you for a while.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old March 3, 2007, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

533 x 2 = 1066mhz
What version of vista are you running?
if its 32bit you might want to read This before you grab 2 more gigs.

Quote:
Old March 3, 2007, 09:02 AM
Rookie

32 , thank you for the link ill stick with what i got (i dont really need more for now).