Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2008, 01:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default Vista Ultimate x64 STOP Error

Hi guys. I've been playing around on my new computer I built. After a faulty motherboard, and finding out that the crappy XP 32bit nVidia RAID drivers would force me to use Vista x64 I got everything working. It's been working for a few weeks and now all of a sudden I'm getting a BSOD at boot :(. The only error code is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF980008089C0,0xFFFFFFFFC000000E,0x000000000 0000000,0x0000000000000000)

From what I can tell this means something is wrong with my boot drive. I'm running a RAID0 array of two 74GB WD Raptors as my boot drive, and neither of them test bad with WD Diagnostics for DOS.

System specs:

Mobo: eVGA 780i
CPU: Q6600 (no overclock yet)
RAM: 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066
VGA: 2X8800GT
SND: Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic
NIC: Intel PRO/1000 Pt PCI-E 1x NIC
HDD0: 2x74GB WD Raptor in RAID0
HDD1: 3x500GB Seagate 7200.11 32MB Cache in RAID5
PSU: Silverstone Zeuz 750W
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ-07

(Water) Cooling:

D-TEK Fuzion w/ Nozzle Kit & Pro Mount
2x EK FC8800 water blocks
HW Labs GTX 480 Rad w/ 4x Scythe Kaze Ultra 1000RPM fans (got some Panaflo's that will go on when I am able to get a NB waterblock)
Swiftech MCP655 g speed 5
T-Line
Loop: Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU > GPU > Pump

CPU Idle Temp: 30*C All Cores within 5* of each other
GPU(s) Idle Temp: ~37*C (I think)
CPU Full Load Temp: 40*C
GPUs Full Load Temp: 47*C

I've got a spot cool sitting over the RAM and another spot cool over the NB since that NB fan is hella loud.

What the heck could be the problem?

So far I've:
  • Removed 2GB of RAM and booted into my custom Vista DVD (removed UAC and all that junk). Ran chkdsk on my boot drive. It fixed some indexes, repaired some stuff, but the problem still continues.
  • Tried to run 'Startup Repair', but when I click on it nothing happens.
  • Cried.
Old March 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

don't take this as correct but iv had some problems with custom dvds of vista messing with the boot sector, u could try installing oem version of it and going into msconfig and go to tools tab then disable all the parts u want gone(i for one like uac and use it)
Old March 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Probably has to do with your custom vista install. You doing the repair from regular vista disk?
Old March 7, 2008, 02:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

NCIX FORUMS - Vista STOP Error
saw your thread there by any chance when u used vlite u didn't remove the raid drivers did u? my friend did that funny stuff lol that took me awhile to fix until he showed me the vlite files:)
Old March 7, 2008, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

Hm, I will try with a stock Vista DVD after I get home from work. I only removed what I knew was safe with vLite since I am new to Vista. (UAC, language files, etc) I also integrated all my drivers. I'll try it with a stock DVD and let you know. Thanks :).
Old March 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehgooch View Post
Hm, I will try with a stock Vista DVD after I get home from work. I only removed what I knew was safe with vLite since I am new to Vista. (UAC, language files, etc) I also integrated all my drivers. I'll try it with a stock DVD and let you know. Thanks :).
k give us the update
Old March 7, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Something else you could try, remove any usb thumbdrives or external hard drives while booting if you have any on. My dual booted laptop refuses to boot vista with any usb drives attatched, though it boots to xp fine.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 8, 2008, 01:37 PM
Top Prospect

OK I reinstalled everything okay. Was up until 4AM installing shit. Now I've got a new problem: My network transfers are REALLY slow. My RAID5 array died in the reinstall for some odd reason (all the drives scan OK, but two drives just dropped from the array?) so I'm copying everything from my old computer again. I probably lost 50 or 60GB of stuff that wasn't on my old computer. So I'm transferring everything over my gigabit network and it's going at a whopping 15KB/s! WTF! It went at least 2MB/s before I reinstalled, and even that was slow. I'm going from a RAID0 array on my old computer to a RAID5 on this computer. Jumbo frames are enabled. I copied my steamapps folder (~30GB) to an external drive and copied it to my new computer and it went at around 30MB/s.

-EDIT-

I found that even though I disabled the windows firewall the service was still running, so I disabled and stopped it. That didn't help, so I read somewhere that 'Remote Differential Compression' slows transfers down and tried disabling that. Didn't help. I tried temporarily disabling NOD32 and that didn't help either. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to transfer small protions from my old computer to my external drive and then to the new computer. :(

-EDIT-

Turns out one of my switches needed rebooting. Oops!

Last edited by tehgooch; March 8, 2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old April 25, 2008, 09:48 PM
Trial Member

gooch! I found this thread by searching my stop error which is digit for digit identical to yours.

My specs. (built this machine couple years ago)

Asus p5nd2-sli deluxe mobo (nforce4 sli intel chipset)
64bit dual core 2.8ghz intel chip.
2gigs DDR2 corsair ram.
Geforce 8800GT
2x WD 10,000 rpm raptors in Raid 0 (striping)

My mobo has the nivida raid controller and a silicone raid controller for sata2.
My basic installation process has gone like this.

1) Install Vista
2)Install nforce drivers from nvidia.com etc
take note i've restarted couple times now and all is ok.
3) install all vista updates---->
4)restart, stop error, restart, stop error yadda yadda.

SO i looked carefully at all the windows updates there are a couple for nvidia storage controllers and silicon image controllers that are auto selected.

I am suspecing that these drivers are bad, which one i dont know, why windows update is recommending them i have no idea but im 99% sure they are causing the problems. So i've just now installed every update but the nvidia storage drivers and silicon image drivers. I'm going to attempt to restart, see how things go. Then im going to install each of them seperately, restart and see which one fucks my computer :)

Hope this helps you i'll be back with an update.
Old April 26, 2008, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

Hi Jezter,

I have been having other problems lately, but this particular problem was resolved by not using a custom Vista DVD. Wish I could help more.