Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Turn On Fine, Now No Post No Boot!

Hi I have a second system, (see below for specs) that won't boot or post inside a aerocool case. Here's the story. This morning I went and turn on the pc, I realized I booted it in the wrong OS so I restarted it and the PC won't post because the graphics card fan was spinning madly. So I force turned it off. I waited a couple of minutes and turn it back on. But now it won't turn on or post at all. So I open it up and I remove the power-connections and grounded myself. I cleared the CMOS as per the instructions of the motherboard and manually jump started the board by using the screw driver to make contact with the start pin (where the case start button is meant to be) and it turn on success. So I turned it back off and connected everything and Now it won't work. ERR.... So I repeated the steps and it still won't work. I also tried booting it with one stick of ram. Taking out the battery and putting it back in. Any suggestion and fixes is to why this computer won't boot?

Sysem Specs
Seasonic 650W powersupply 80+ bronze
AMD Phenom II X4 965, Noctua NH-C14 as CPU cooler
Gigabyte-890GPA-UD3H ------ The cause of the problem!
OCZ Vertex 2
WD Green 1TB
ATI 5770
AeroCool Case

Last edited by Avenger212; December 14, 2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old December 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

reset CMOS what happens when only min. psu, 1 stick, video MB, check if boots

no boot try a video card
Old December 13, 2011, 04:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the help and I did all of that until I found the source of the problem. It seems where the on button (two metal contacts sticking out) is located on the motherboard had come loose. I had to use a screw driver to jump start my PC every-time. Do anyone know a fix for this so that I don't have to use a screw driver every time I attempt to turn my pc back on?
Old December 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger212 View Post
Thanks for the help and I did all of that until I found the source of the problem. It seems where the on button (two metal contacts sticking out) is located on the motherboard had come loose. I had to use a screw driver to jump start my PC every-time. Do anyone know a fix for this so that I don't have to use a screw driver every time I attempt to turn my pc back on?
Soldering iron + solder, likely. A fine job, not for the faint of heart, underequipped, or inexperienced. Gigabyte may warranty the failure, if it's obvious it wasn't caused by neglect (for example, a big ugly scar where the screwdriver slipped putting in the motherboard screws).
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old December 14, 2011, 06:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok I apologize but it seems with further investigation of my ancient rig. I speculate my motherboard is dying because I unplugg my rig after I use it everyday. Then when I am ready to use it again I just plug it back in. When I plug it back in and press the on button it won't start. But if I leave it for at least 10mins plug in it will start fine like nothing is wrong with it. I tested all my current hardware and this event only happens to my motherboard. Do anyone think I am facing a dying motherboard? (Please say no cause I have no money to replace it )
Old December 14, 2011, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
Soldering iron + solder, likely. A fine job, not for the faint of heart, underequipped, or inexperienced. Gigabyte may warranty the failure, if it's obvious it wasn't caused by neglect (for example, a big ugly scar where the screwdriver slipped putting in the motherboard screws).
DO NOT USE A NON-ESD safe soldering iron on MB

if DO bring it up to heat then un-plug it from wall. for my iron tells multi-meter 26vac at tip to ground when plugged in.

lost a laptop when solderd loose CMOS batt connection to MB
Old December 14, 2011, 06:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Any Ideas to solve my current problem?
Old December 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

borrow a blow torch and heat a screw driver to act as soldering iron an reflow solder on pins