Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Laptop Crashes -Limited Information.

About two or three months ago my friend asked me to put a SSD in his ~3 Year old laptop and as I was buying a new one for myself at the time I got him the same one I got a Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD for at least a month or two it was running fine but he recently contacted me saying it has been Blue Screening a couple times a day.

I Know the SSD is SATAIII but I checked it was backwards compatible and thought it would be good if he ever wanted to upgrade his laptop so I don't think it could be that.

I have told him I will come round tomorrow to have a look but I'm not really sure what to look for hopefully it will crash while I am there so I can get a better idea of what the laptop is doing when it crashes, he says it only happens when he leaves it alone for a while..

I cant remember the model of the laptop but I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas as to what it could be or what I should check just in case.

Because it was running without issue for quite a long time I do know that it is possible it had nothing to do with me but either way I would really like to get it working for him again without issue as he uses it for work.

So any ideas or suggestions on what to look for would be much appreciated!
Old December 12, 2011, 03:41 PM
MVP

Heat. Check for dust buildup in the air intakes, and around the cpu fan.

See what programs he has running in the background, see if there is anything unnecessary, or that may be causing conflicts.

Run memtest, from a disc or memstick.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old December 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

need info like what they were doing when it crashes ( which software and things like games ) check for heat whats been recently updated , installed or downloaded around the time it started. which OS . after you have concluded that it is or isn't a driver or software issue then move on to hard ware issues. do the stress tests. if you have a pen drive I would download a few things incleuding an OS that is portable so that you can run tests without there OS running.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

you need the bsod info without that you will be just guessing.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:42 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

See if he can update the firmware on his SSD. I used to get BSOD on my Vertex 3, but was resolved with the update. But then again, the Vertex had known BSOD problems that was resolved by the update... probably still worth a try on your Corsair
Old December 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks guys, Yeah I was hoping for heat seeing as it's easy to fix but I got him to tell me temps while he has all the programs he normally uses running and it was not that bad and I cleaned out all dust and stuff when I put the SSD in. I also updated the firmware to the latest version for both mine and his when I got them and I have a thumb drive with some tools on it that I plan to use to stress and test the laptop.

Enaberif, I know I'm just hoping it blue screens while I'm there. I cant ask him to have it for a day or two if not longer because he needs it for work and the blue screens don't even bother him he just mentioned it to me and wasn't really sure what it meant but he says because it was so slow before it's still much better and because it boots back up quicker than it used to recover from sleep mode he is not too worried but I'm worried it could be warning signs of a bigger issue and I'm sure he does find his computer crashing every so often pretty annoying (I would!).

I will go round tomorrow and take a look and if I can not fix it which is likely considering I am no expert I will update this post with my findings and see if more information will help troubleshooting. If still nothing he may have to take it to a repair shop and see what they can do with it but I would rather not make it so he has to pay like that.. Any problem I have had with my build I have always been able to fix and whenever I've had trouble HWC has never failed me lol.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and feedback.