Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2011, 08:54 PM
Rookie

Default GTX 560 Ti DirectCU2 not being used properly?

Hey everyone,

I bought an ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU2 about 5 days ago, and were anxious to give it a try. However, it does not seem to run very well at all.

In Battlefield 3, I can barely play on the Lowest of settings. If I play on Lowest, I get an approximate average of 20-30 FPS, and on Ultra it goes down to as low as 8-12.

I've also tried plenty of others such as Skyrim and Age of Conan and it performs rather poorly in those as well - especially for being a 560. So I'm confused as to what's causing all this...!

I'm using eVGA Precision to monitor my GPU's Usage and it rarely ever goes above 30%, also it shows my Memory Clock as 2 000MHz or 2 004MHz(It's different each time.) when the standard clock is 4 008MHz(As seen in ASUS SmartDoctor.).

I've tried 3 different Drivers;
1. Drivers that came with the CD.
2. Latest non-beta Drivers for my 560.
3. Latest Beta Drivers for my 560.

Here's some Screenshots that might be of help(Sorry if they're too big, also the CPU Screenshot is in Swedish...!)

I've come to the conclusion(s) that it's either;
A) My CPU is bottlenecking the PSU.
B) My PSU is too weak and does not deliver sufficient power.
C) GPU Faulty(I had it returned for testing, and it came out clean. Picking it back up tomorrow.)

After spending about $300 on a new GPU, I'd rather not have to update my entire System only to get my GPU to do what it should. Surely, a Q8400 should be enough for a 560...?

Please, someone help me or give me some advice as to what to try, it'd be very much appreciated! Thanks!

System Spec:
Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 560 Ti DC2
Motherboard: ASUS P5QPL-AM
RAM: 4GB A-Data(Not sure about speed...)
PSU: APEVIA 550W Chameleon

Also, I managed to catch eVGA Precision giving me some rather ridiculous GPU Usage - which was when I thought the GPU was faulty(Or that eVGA Precision have some pretty nasty/funny bug.)
Old December 12, 2011, 04:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It does sound like there is a possibility that your cpu is the bottleneck, as look at the load % when you are gaming there. Do you have the standard heat sink on it or an after market heat sink? If you have an after market heat sink (or willing to install one), you could overclock your cpu to about 3.2GHz (don't quote me on this) and allow your cpu to less then bottleneck it's causing for your gpu right now.
Old December 12, 2011, 05:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
It does sound like there is a possibility that your cpu is the bottleneck, as look at the load % when you are gaming there. Do you have the standard heat sink on it or an after market heat sink? If you have an after market heat sink (or willing to install one), you could overclock your cpu to about 3.2GHz (don't quote me on this) and allow your cpu to less then bottleneck it's causing for your gpu right now.
I thought the CPU usually bottlenecks if it's used to 100%, it's just at 88%.

I do have the Stock cooler on it, but a friend helped me to overclock it to 3GHz, without upping the voltage and only to try it for a few brief minutes in Battlefield 3 - and it made no difference whatsoever.

I just came back from the Store I bought it at, after having it checked for faults - and it came out clean. And the guy tried to help me a bit further. He asked what Motherboard I had and after having repeated myself 6 times and seeing him barely being able to use Google he managed to find the one I have.

I did know that my Motherboard had PCI-Express 1.1 and that the GPU uses 2.0 - but from the research I did before I actually bought the GPU, several sources said that the Performance loss wouldn't be more than an about-ish 10-15%.

The guy at the Store said the difference would be 50%, is this true? Or is he just a LOLDURP? (No insult intended at Canada, I used the smiley 'cause he looks durpy.)
Old December 12, 2011, 05:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealman View Post
The guy at the Store said the difference would be 50%, is this true? Or is he just a LOLDURP? (No insult intended at Canada, I used the smiley 'cause he looks durpy.)
The literal difference between 2.0 and 1.1 would be 50%, since PCI-E 2.0 runs twice as fast. He was probably trained to say that.

The actual difference would be negligible, at least for a 560 Ti.
Old December 12, 2011, 06:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That PSU gives me the willies.........

From the looks of it, it only has one PCIe plug? If so, other than trying a better PSU (Highly recommended IMO), maybe try a different molex connector line for the second PCIe plug adapter? It could be that you're drawing all of the PCIe power off of the same rail.

Is there a ton of heat coming off of the PSU under load?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 12, 2011, 06:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
The literal difference between 2.0 and 1.1 would be 50%, since PCI-E 2.0 runs twice as fast. He was probably trained to say that.

The actual difference would be negligible, at least for a 560 Ti.
Yeah, there's 1 guy at that Store that's actually really good when it comes to Computers. The rest are just some try-hards. Sadly the smart one is always down the workshop repairing stuff... That I head to repeat my Motherboard's model 6 times for him to actually find it through Google shows how incompetent the rest of them are

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That PSU gives me the willies.........

From the looks of it, it only has one PCIe plug? If so, other than trying a better PSU (Highly recommended IMO), maybe try a different molex connector line for the second PCIe plug adapter? It could be that you're drawing all of the PCIe power off of the same rail.

Is there a ton of heat coming off of the PSU under load?
Yeah, I know the PSU is rather weak - but I was fairly sure that a 550W would be sufficient for my System. With the 560 included - and I haven't experienced any crashes or BSoDs so I guess it's getting enough power?

And I haven't really felt a lot of heat coming from the PSU. I do have the case-side open, but when playing Battlefield 3 it doesn't really go particularly warm.

Oh, and I'll try to get my hands on a better PSU ASAP. Would a Corsair TX650W be sufficient to power my System? And possibly a future upgrade? (Probably an i5 2500k or something similar...)

And thanks for the advice, I'll try to switch it around a bit and see if it gets better!

Last edited by Dealman; December 12, 2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Ugh, keep missing stuff >.<
Old December 12, 2011, 07:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

A 650TX should (IMO) be fine for a single card setup.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
Rookie

Seems to have been fixed now, we gave it another try at Overclocking(I bought a Corsair H60), it's now overclocked to 3GHz I can play BF3 on High with 60+ FPS!!! Finally! No idea why the overclock didn't work the first time.