Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2011, 10:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Exclamation PC wont power up.

Hi,

My current build is less than 2months old and everything was running perfectly until yesterday when i purchased two new 200x30mm LED fans to replace my default case fans that came with my HAF X.

After fixing up both fans (top 2 200x30mm fans) onto my HAF X, I plugged all the fan connectors to my mobo. Then i decided to reconnect my H80 cooler fan connectors which was currently plugged onto the H80 pump unit to the cpu_fan and cpu_fan_opt headers just so that i dont have to go thru bios everytime i boot up when it says no cpu fan detected.

then i plugged in all the power cables back in and power up my PC. it turned on fine and everything was good. But i realised that ASUS fanxpert couldnt control my H80 fan because it was a 3pin connector and the cpu fan header is a 4pin so it ws running at max rpm all the time so it was really noisy.

I decided that i rather plug the h80 fan connectors back to the pump unit as before. I switched it back off, set my PSU switch to 0 and plugged out both fan connectors and plugged it in back to the pump. I turned my PSU switch to 1 and switched on my PC but it wont turn on.

the only thing that i think i may have done wrong was that i did not wait for all the mobo standby lights (that light up when PSU swtich is set to 1) to go completely off before plucking out the fan connectors.

now even when my PSU switch is set to 1, my mobo standby lights are not turned on. nothing at all. i tried to jump start my PSU with a case fan on its load and nothing happens too. is my PSU dead? or could it be my mobo? i dont have a working PSU to swap and test to confirm this. could my mistake of not waiting for the mobo standby lights to go completely off cause anything to malfunction ?

i hope someone can help! thanks!
Old December 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds if shorted something

remove power cord wait a minute then try to power up if works your good

if not remove all power connections to PSU then the ATX plug use jumper to test psu (blk&grn)

and yes for todays MB are very sensitive to power ruption 3,5SBV keep things alive

Note remove power then push start to drain caps .....WHEN DOING ANYTHING TO MB....wait for led to go out

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

i tried the green and black trick already. i connected only 1 case fan and it dint respond. So my PSU is dead? and there is a possibly that i bricked my motherboard?
Old December 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

popped psu fuse .....its a dice toss on MB damage

don't remove seal return for warranty on PSU

Tags
dead , psu