Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Exclamation New case, Same hardware, No boot

Today I replaced my NZXT Guardian case(that I'd been using for around 6 months with no problems) for a HAF X.

I used exactly the same hardware other than leaving out a very old dvd drive that I never used. I also changed the PCIx slot of my radeon 6950 2gb from the PCIx8 to the PCIx16 slot.

When I went to boot it up for the first time in the HAF X case it made a loud beep for around 10 seconds continuously until I turned off the PSU. The next time I turned it on it made the same loud beep but turned off by itself after around 8 seconds then turned back on and continued to beep, until I manually turned it off again.

I've checked the beep codes on the ASUS website and they don't have anything specifying a single long beep. What could be causing this and how could I fix it?

Specs:
Intel i7 2600 3.40GHz O.C. to 4.4GHz
Asus p8p67 LE
Diamond Radeon 6950 2GB
Corsair XMS3 2x4Gb
LiteON BluRay DVD combo
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Sata6
Windows 7 x64bit
Ultra X4 750w Modular power supply
additional 80Gb very old Maxtor ATA drive

EDIT: I got it to boot without beeping by putting my 6950 into the PCI 8x slot. Now the problem is no display and still random restarting after I turn it on

Last edited by bobbybob123; December 5, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old December 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just went through a similar problem. Pull the motherboard and see if there are any errant standoffs in the case causing a short. Make sure you count the screws as you pull them and then count the standoffs. I had one extra sitting in a very special spot that would make my computer boot intermittently.
Old December 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I just went through a similar problem. Pull the motherboard and see if there are any errant standoffs in the case causing a short. Make sure you count the screws as you pull them and then count the standoffs. I had one extra sitting in a very special spot that would make my computer boot intermittently.
+1. I was going to suggest stand-offs too.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old December 6, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would say to also pull the motherboard but also to power it up outside the case but first I would make sure that all of the connections are actually connected :)
Old December 6, 2011, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Default solved

I looked around online some more and I determined that it was not the mobo that was making the sound as I had thought. It was actually the psu. Turns out my PCI 6 pin connectors must have been broken/faulty and caused the psu to make such a loud screeching noise.

When I removed them and used the PCI 6/8pin hybrid cables everything booted up smoothly and now works fine.

This is fine though, the only reason I would need to use both 6/8 pin hybrid PCI cables and the 6 pin PCI cables at the same time would be if I bought another 6950 and crossfired them. But since 750w isn't enough for 2 6950's I would have to buy a stronger PSU anyway. I can live without the faulty cables.

tip: Don't buy an Ultra PSU, I've only had this one for about 6 months and the cables failed.

Tags
no boot beep asus