Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 03:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 500mb Data Plan Issue?

Hey guys, recently i acquired my first iphone. It is not the 4s but the 4. Along with this, i decided to get a data plan. This plan is ulimited text and then 500mb of internet each month. According to the company, after i hit the 500mb instead of getting charged extra i will recieve slightly different speeds. I asked before if 500mb was enough and people said it was. Honestly, after 3 days i have already used 75mb of internet. Here are my key points:

-Using iCloud
-Streaming to iCloud my contacts, calenders, reminders, bookmarks.
After i noticed that i used 75mb of storage i decided to turn off photo stream and documents & data.
My question is, what is using all of this memory? I barely go on youtube with 3g at least. Do you guys think it was the documents data and the photo stream? However, i have 4 email accounts on this iphone but most of them barely get emails with pictures. And last, will my internet get EXTREMELY slow when i pass 500mb?
Old December 2, 2011, 04:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on the carrier, usually throttling doesn't start until you exceed 1GB. Plus you'll be paying some ridiculous price per MB after you go over 500MB anyhow...

Sounds like you should of went for 1GB though, I think that's a much more reasonable figure. 500MB isn't quite enough if you use the phone pretty heavily and take advantage of all the various syncing apps.

Last month I used 560MB for example, and I'd say I'm usually around there. I don't steam any video/music though, that's just usual syncing and maybe updating/downloading a couple apps.

Every carrier in Canada has Unlimited Texting + 1GB data, so I'd say just switch your plan to one of those. Virgin Mobile for example is $60 (though I got a promo "student" plan for $55).
Old December 2, 2011, 04:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks, problem is I'm currently living in Madrid, Spain haha!
Old December 2, 2011, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey man... at least they aren't charging you overages like here. I was billed 100 dollars for one day because my plan hadn't activated yet but the internet part still worked.

1 gig is about what a guy needs these days to get through the month.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Thanks, problem is I'm currently living in Madrid, Spain haha!
Ah, well probably best to read the terms of your contract/plan then.

I'm assuming the overage fee of exceeding 500MB will be more expensive then switching to a plan that offers 1GB (if such a thing exists).
Old December 2, 2011, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Not to be rude, but i really don't think you understand. According to the plan, after i exceed 500mb of data my internet speed will decrease. I will not be charged extra. My concern is, how much is that decrease? Doesn't say it :/
Old December 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh so you have unlimited data then? A link to your provider/plan would be useful...

If it doesn't say in the terms/contract, then I guess you'd have to give them a call to find out just how much of a speed reduction you'll see. There is no "standard" amount of decrease, its entirely up to the provider.

Anyways, the majority of us on here are Canadian and obviously our cellular service is much different compared to Spain, so it's hard for us to help you without knowing the provider.
Old December 3, 2011, 04:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll be heading to the store today. You guys don't think its a bad plan right? I'm very satisfied so far. Anyways. Many thanks!