Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2011, 12:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Odd Ridiculously High Temp

Alright so this happened a good long time ago but I thought I'd bring it up because it just came to mind.

About 9-12 months ago I picked up a new mobo, specifically MSI Global ? Mainboard - P55A-G55

I got it on NCIX with a i5 760 in a bundle deal. I was never an expert in overclocking, but I was aware enough of the procedure to know how not to kill my processor, and that the board and processor could at least handle some pressure.

So after playing around with it for a bit, I decide to OC it, and see how far I can push it stable. I got it playing nice with my ram at around 4GHz, and it ran fine.

When I was watching the hardware temps, I was only fixated on the CPU temps, which were never rising over 50-60C. But then I noticed something. Specifically, there was a temp reporting as over 100C. Immediately off the computer went. I waited a while, turned it back on. I then watched this one sensor go from about 30C to 110C. It climbed very slowly, but it climbed none the less. Immediately, off went the comp and bye bye OC.

I looked at the board to figure out what was going on, because I couldn't find, see or touch a single component that was burning hot. Although it turns out, a small heatsink was missing, specifically:

http://img.ncix.com/images/54097_1.jpg

The one directly beside the socket, over I think the power phases? So yeah, email to NCIX, they shipped me the heatsink. I put it on, tried the OC again. Still retardedly high temps on what I can only assume was the phases. I took a temp probe to them and it didn't report nearly as high as the software did, but I wasn't going to take the chance.

Because I'm a lazy ****, I said "screw it", found the highest OC I could on stock voltage, and have been there ever since. But it's been bothering me a bit ever since. I made sure that heatsink was on properly and making contact, but it still didn't do a damn thing to the temps. I even rigged some small 40mm fans around it to try to blow air down on it. Still nothing.

Is there any reason those temps would be as retardedly large as they were? Aside from "defective board", which I could only assume is the last answer.
Old November 30, 2011, 01:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, defective it maybe, and of course, these things can only handle so much before they throttle, shut down, or worse get permanently damaged.

If the heatsink sent to you is not working so well(which it sound like it is not) you could always do a different heatsink approach. I got a set of zalman RSH1 gpu heatsinks, get a bit of crazyglue and good thermal paste such as MX4.

Basically you want to apply a small amount of thermlpaste on each vreg(in the case of gpu) or the chip you are trying to cool in your case this will help conduct heat to the sink better(obviously) when the small amount of paste is down a small dot of crazy glue will help to ensure that the sink is getting proper contact and will not move, if you really want to make sure it is properly "attached" just apply a little bit of heat from a hair dryer or something, and give firm pressure to the sinks.

Now I do know this transfers heat very very well, my vreg with stock cooler would get 75-83c now with these average 65-70c at most, so it transfers heat exceptionally well. So if it is heat related and the sink cannot transfer the build up of heat fast enough, this may be a way to help(even do the thermal/glue on the one you got) and do make sure it has firm secure contact, after all, if there is air trapped in sink, or the mounting is not secure enough, it may not be sinking properly, hence the constant rise till shut down(that is what it sounds like to me, sink is not transfering it well enough, or it cannot handle the total output)

Also you would be better strapping an 80 or 1200mm fan to it or blowing by it, more air=better cooling it may help as well. If the chip is faulty or has been damaged, it may not be related to the sink, but maybe that it just does not "throttle" like it should, and hence the sink really is not able to do much. To me I think its just running into the sink running out of capacity to absorb and wick away the heat being generated, best of luck to you :)
Old November 30, 2011, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Try aida64 and see if it can name that specific sensor. I think you're right about the vrm, they are the only thing i can see that would go as high in temperature, but i doubt they would survive an oc session without any heatsink (someone confirm this). And if putting a heatsink on them and some fan doesn't drop the temp, then there is definitely something wrong.
Old November 30, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The board isn't defective, just poorly designed.

A lot of MSI boards (but not limited to MSI) have this issue where there simply aren't enough power phases to handle the load of a quad/hexacore. The issue is a lot worse with AMD boards than Intel, but a quick glance and it's fairly obvious that your board has inadequate power delivery.

I would get another board/CPU or forget about overclocking/folding/gaming/crunching with your current setup.
Old November 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The board isn't defective, just poorly designed.

A lot of MSI boards (but not limited to MSI) have this issue where there simply aren't enough power phases to handle the load of a quad/hexacore. The issue is a lot worse with AMD boards than Intel, but a quick glance and it's fairly obvious that your board has inadequate power delivery.

I would get another board/CPU or forget about overclocking/folding/gaming/crunching with your current setup.
Right now at 3.4GHz (which was the highest I could get to make it play nice with 1600 ram, but not exceed crazy voltages), temps are absolutely fine, but that's as far as it would push with the stock/slightly over stock voltage. I increase it by a tiny bit, and WOAH BABY all the temps.