Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default BSOD issue I cannot Pin down

This started last weekend.

Here is exactally what happened. I was playing on my computer at my friends house, and when on HWC I was viewing all the case builds my screen went black. It then recovered with a bubble popup at the bottom saying "Driver 280.26 has recovered". I decided at that point to perhaps give my drivers an update to the latest 285's that had been released. I cleaned up the old drivers and installed the new ones.
All was well for a little bit. Then I suddenly got a BSOD (memory dump, didn't catch what it said and I didn't have who crashed on at the time to figure out what was doing it).
I decided that perhaps I had a bad driver install. So I re-installed. No change I still got a BSOD.

It happened a few times after as well (but running say stress tests like Prime95, Furmark, Memtest) do not bring it out.
Finally I figured maybe I'll just do a clean re-install on my computer of W7 in hopes that it was something just garbaged up on my system.

However even with a clean re-install it has happened again.

The first crash said that it was a fault in something that was dx-related.

This crash that just happened said this:

Quote:
On Wed 11/30/2011 2:46:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112911-16707-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC10)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 11/30/2011 2:46:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (amdppm+0x37F2)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
System is:

ASUS M489GTD-Pro/USB3.0
X6 1090T BE
2x2GB G.SKill Ripjaws
EVGA 580
Corsair 750W

It happens very randomly, I ran 2 days worth of stress tests on this without an issue.
Then when I left the computer alone idling to step out by the time I got back I had BSOD'd.

Driver issue still? (I'm running the 285's).
Or is something slowly dying?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Kmode, the executing code has complete and unrestricted access to the underlying hardware. It can execute any CPU instruction and reference any memory address. Kernel mode is generally reserved for the lowest-level, most trusted functions of the operating system. Crashes in kernel mode are catastrophic; they will halt the entire PC.

failing hardware
Old November 29, 2011, 08:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only issue I have with saying Hardware right off the bat is the fact I can do 48 hours worth of stress testing on this system without issue.

No issues booting up. No issues gaming for hours.

When it crashed once I was downloading a game online, and when it crashed again it was just idling by.

And the fact that the Crash has changed in what has said crashed makes me wonder if there isn't something I might be running that could be causing issues.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old November 29, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try uninstalling ATK0110 ACPI Utility if you have it under device manager, system devices.

shot in the dark haha, it's a known problem with ASUS boards
Old November 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Try uninstalling ATK0110 ACPI Utility if you have it under device manager, system devices.

shot in the dark haha, it's a known problem with ASUS boards
Thanks mate, took a peek. Its not installed on my system.

This is just happening out of the blue.
I do have my BIOS fully up to date as well which I forgot to mention.

I'm gonna revert to an early nVidia driver version in case there is some issue with that as well.

-ST

Old November 29, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

have checked SSD firmware ? i noticed that yours isn't listed @ corsair
Old November 29, 2011, 08:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No SSD.

Corsair 750W is a PSU.

ST

Old November 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

oh i seen
HDD: WD Black 640GB x2 Corsar Force 100 SSD

in your sys specs button

what mode are HDD in RAID or ata
Old November 30, 2011, 01:22 AM
MVP
F@H

I think it's a driver issue. But sometimes a crash can corrupt files and make it worse.

Suggest a Window's repair in case OS files have been damaged, then go to an earlier version of the video drivers and see if that is stable.
Old November 30, 2011, 02:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This maybe the most inconvenience suggestion, but when all else fails I think it is time to Format and do a clean re-install of everything. In my suspicion your new drivers may have damage the windows file system.