Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2008, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default No sound, no more ideas

Problem#1: I suddenly have no sound output
Problem#2: I don't know jack about diagnosing problem#1

I was removing my watercooling system from my computer (see sig) this afternoon, replacing them with air equivalents. I took the utmost care to see that no coolant was spilled, I know no coolant was spilled, and the new stuff went in just fine.

Unfortunately, when I fired everything up again, I quickly realized that there was no sound output, from either the front or rear jacks. Looking through all the hardware, there are no suggestions of trouble under any hardware components. Music players have no issue. Going into the RealTek panel, no problems to be seen, I get the sound level meter bouncing in sync with the music playing. Drivers are updated. Both the front and rear jacks consistently detect when I plug in headphones. No software/hardware changes or programs have been installed for the last few days. Games play perfectly (minus sound, of course). No evidence of damage on the board itself. Everything was working perfectly last night.

So I'm out of ideas now. Googling the problem has been futile, because 'no sound' isn't exactly a unique problem. Is there anything else I can do to try and pinpoint a problem? anyone else come across something like this?
Old March 4, 2008, 06:50 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Problem#1: I suddenly have no sound output
Problem#2: I don't know jack about diagnosing problem#1
ROFL

that's the best problem description I've seen lately! Seriously, if Device Manager shows no issues, you may have a short somewhere. I know it's a pain, but take the board out and test it out of the case.
Old March 4, 2008, 06:57 PM
MVP
F@H

software ---> hardware ---> connection ---> cabling ----> amplifier ---> speakers ---> your ears.

Just start eliminating them one at a time as you test them.

1. you have tested software, appears ok

2. hardware appears ok, but no output (it seems)

3. Is the connection good? got green plug in green hole?

4. Test the cable, amp, and speakers all at once by plugging them into another source. If you don't have another source, turn your amp volume to maximum, and pinch the connector with your fingers, you should hear scratchy noises or little thumps. Plug some headphones into the output, still no sound?

5. hearing ok? Can you still hear the tv?

if all that is good then the problem must lie in the hardware, or in the drivers somehow. try turning the sound off in bios, then back on. try reinstalling directx, and your audio drivers.

if none of that works then buy a soundcard.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old March 5, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah, try reinstalling the drivers and if that doesnt work and you are sure your speakers are not fried then your onboard sound on MB is probably shot. Happened to my friend recently, had to get a new MB.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Whelp, finally found the problem.

As near as I can tell, after I put everything back together, Vista decided to initialize a bunch of settings, including the onboard audio output path. And apparently, the default sound output is "Realtek Digital Output" rather than "Speakers". Who knew? Now, I'd already investigated this multiple times, but apparently a full system reset is necessary before changing that option actually takes effect. Thought I'd done that too, but apparently not. Or maybe several full resets are necessary. Or maybe the nasty gremlins got bored and went to find another computer to cause problems in.

At any rate, I've got sound again. Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I've got a checklist to use next time something goes wrong.