Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2011, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Default new case same hardware, wont boot

hey so i just switched my haf932 for a 650d
put everything back in

now it wont start. i press power, the lights and fans come on, then it beeps one long and three shorts.
i get nothing on my monitor...no image
ive checked the post codes and it says display device...

before switching cases, when i started my pc, the video card's fan would go at max speed for two seconds and then slow down and it would post normally.

now when i start it, the video card's fan goes at max but doesnt slow down, it stays at jet speed, and then i get the four beeps and no image !

i tried taking the card out and powering the thing, itll give me the same code.
tried booting with video card plugged to psu but not seated on the mobo, the video cards fan doesnt move

so i guess maybe my video card is not the problem ?

could my pci-e slot be dead ?

how can i know ?

also ive had this issue since a long time : whenever i boot up after having unplugged the pc from the wall, itll turn on for like 3seconds (not even time to post), then turn off for like 2 seconds, and finally it turns back on by itself and bootsnlike normal (this was before todays issue). is my psu retarded ?

thanks for your help

and heres my setup if it helps

e8500 @ 4.16ghz
asus p5qse with 4gb ram 800mhz (corsair tm2 i think)
xfx hd4890
ultra x4 750w psu
samsung bluray n dvd drive
intel 80gb ssd
2x 500gb seagate hdds
Old November 25, 2011, 10:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

1 long and 3 short is video card problem. If you have reseated it, and checked that both 6-pin connectors are plugged in, then either your card is toast, or your PSU is failing. No way to know for sure without swapping out parts.
Old November 26, 2011, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

or no PCI-E power hooked up to video card

P5Q SE PLUS
BIOS Ver: 2204
1. Fix CPU fan runs at full speed when resume from S4 and enable Q-fan mode.
2. Update Express Gate to v1.4.9.5.
update: 2009.09.15

other is battery not holding BIOS info for when lost of 5vsb from psu, for no AC~ dumps bios info
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 26, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old November 26, 2011, 06:18 AM
Rookie

i tried booting without the video card at all, gives me the same beep code
i tried booting with the video card plugged to psu (with the two 6pins), video card's fan doesnt start, mobo gives me the beep code
i tried booting with the video card seated on mobo, but not plugged to psu, fan doesnt start, mobo gives me the beep code

now that i think about it, the video card's fan only starts when the graphics card is in the pci-e slot, so I guess this eliminates the psu and pci-e slot as culprits
i guess maybe my 4890 is dying

ive had this issue i while back when i took my rig apart to clean it, the mobo gave me the same beep code, but i managed to get it running again but dont remember how

ive tried booting with my screen plugged to the video card, tried both dvi ports, nada

problem is i dont have another video card lying around to try it...

maybe it's time to get a gtx570 ?

Last edited by clouter; November 26, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:10 AM
Rookie

but i think maybe it's the psu who's causing all these problems...
the shutdown while booting isnt very good im sure.

and i think i have a dead sata port on my motherboard, it tells me something like SATA-1 not detected when I start it...

could my power supply (Ultra X4 750watts) be giving bad voltages and causing failures ?
I know Ultra is not the most known and popular brand, but I've been running my E8500 at 4.16ghz for more than a year now without any problems.

damn i feel like its time to do a full upgrade, but my wallet says no go
Old November 26, 2011, 07:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouter View Post
i tried booting without the video card at all, gives me the same beep code
i tried booting with the video card plugged to psu (with the two 6pins), video card's fan doesnt start, mobo gives me the beep code
i tried booting with the video card seated on mobo, but not plugged to psu, fan doesnt start, mobo gives me the beep code

now that i think about it, the video card's fan only starts when the graphics card is in the pci-e slot, so I guess this eliminates the psu and pci-e slot as culprits
i guess maybe my 4890 is dying

ive had this issue i while back when i took my rig apart to clean it, the mobo gave me the same beep code, but i managed to get it running again but dont remember how

ive tried booting with my screen plugged to the video card, tried both dvi ports, nada

problem is i dont have another video card lying around to try it...

maybe it's time to get a gtx570 ?
You are aware that the pci-e slot is where the graphics card gets its power for the fan, right? It does sound like the graphics card may be on its way out. Do you have another one or another system (a friend) to test some of these parts in to rule it out?
Old November 26, 2011, 07:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
or no PCI-E power hooked up to video card

P5Q SE PLUS
BIOS Ver: 2204
1. Fix CPU fan runs at full speed when resume from S4 and enable Q-fan mode.
2. Update Express Gate to v1.4.9.5.
update: 2009.09.15

other is battery not holding BIOS info for when lost of 5vsb from psu, for no AC~ dumps bios info
I'm sure I have latest bios, I checked a couple months ago and don't think they would update these motherboards again since then

i didnt install express gate

and if it would not hold BIOS info, wouldn't it reset my CPU clock to stock ?
Old November 26, 2011, 07:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You are aware that the pci-e slot is where the graphics card gets its power for the fan, right?
Didn't know ! Thanks
So that would make sense

I'll try to steal my sister's graphics card on monday when she's at school (she has my old 9800gt)
Old November 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

another thing is maybe try a different power plug. I agree with the possible card not seated right inside the case or even checp the pcie slot for any bent tangs ( not sure if that is the proper word) inside the slot . ever try cleaning the bottom.

I had two 4870x2 just stop working I have no idea what happened and find it very coincidental that they both did two days apart from each other.
Old November 26, 2011, 09:58 AM
Rookie

Okay so I was browsing and found this :
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 Fermi Windforce 780MHZ 1280MB 3.8GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card - Gigabyte - GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0 - in Canada
Gigabyte GTX570 windforce for 329$ on ncix.com

is this a good deal ? and would it allow me to run battlefield 3 on ultra on my 1680x1050 monitor ?
thanks