Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Packet loss - Fustration! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/48676-packet-loss-fustration.html)

genericllama November 23, 2011 06:11 PM

Packet loss - Fustration!

well folks. Im about to rip my hair out and attack the next living creature that comes within arms distance.

About a month ago i started experiencing some pretty heavy packet loss while playing some games. ( varying from 2-10% according to sites below)
ICSI Netalyzr
Test your connection

I started doing the whole check up.
Direct connected to my computer, replaced all the wires, updates all my drivers for both the modem and computer. No solution. I ended up talking to a bell representative and coming to the conclusion that my router must have short circuited or something due to old age and so i shipped it to them and got a replacement.

Upon plugging in my new modem, it worked great! no packet loss and i was back in business.... Until today. At this point i don't know what to do anymore. If by tomorrow afternoon its still the same im going to have to contact bell support again.

Is there anything else i can possibly do(did i possibly forget to check something etc)? i feel so helpless and it just so unbelievably frustrating.:angry2::angry2::angry2:

sswilson November 23, 2011 06:36 PM

Is this a wireless router? If so, did you try disabling the wireless to ensure that it wasn't something(body) other than you connecting?

KaptCrunch November 23, 2011 06:36 PM

bell is thottling back or using thier AV software

genericllama November 23, 2011 06:47 PM

(pre-modem replacement)initially it was a wired router (and even then the direct connect was wired only)

(post modem replacement) i have the 2wire router/modem combo supplied by bell and the wireless is passworded so i know for a fact it isnt being in use.

as far as Throttling back, i imagine they only throttle torrents and not the complete services? and if hypothetically they were using their AV software, i can safely assume that by tomorrow i shouldn't be having this excessive packet loss?

tyreman November 24, 2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genericllama (Post 571990)
(pre-modem replacement)initially it was a wired router (and even then the direct connect was wired only)

(post modem replacement) i have the 2wire router/modem combo supplied by bell and the wireless is passworded so i know for a fact it isnt being in use.

as far as Throttling back, i imagine they only throttle torrents and not the complete services? and if hypothetically they were using their AV software, i can safely assume that by tomorrow i shouldn't be having this excessive packet loss?

You could try hooking up as close as the Demarc point and see what happens

Shadowmeph November 24, 2011 08:40 AM

for some reason wa while back with shaw ( they either fixed it or something) I had to every two to three months dosconnect every ingle thing that was connnected to my Cable vision plugs in my home and wait for up to 20 mins then plug every thing back in and all would be good again. this always worked at first I tried just unpluggin my cable modem ( cables from wall socket and cables to my PC) but that never worked.
something to do with saturation ?