Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2011, 02:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default BSOD and Program Crashes

Hi guys. Recently, I've been getting a lot of problems with my PC. I get BSODs (they usually say MEMORY MAMAGEMENT) and my programs keep crashing (Kaspersky Internet Security always crashes, Firefox constantly crashes, games crash). I initially thought this was my overclock, but after lowering the clock to 4.0Ghz and up the voltage to 1.275 and running P95, it seems like it's stable. Now I'm suspecting it's either my RAM or my HDD because of the BSOD error messages. I also ran Memtest and after 1 pass, it gave me around 80,000 errors. IDK what the stuff on Memtest means, but I'm guessing over 80k errors is bad. I suspect that it's an HDD error because when playing MW3 SP, I got an error saying "Disk Read Error" and when searching it on the Steam Forums, it said that it meant that there was problems with my HDD. Not sure what I should do next. Also, could someone give me some tips on Memtest? Is 1 pass enough? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I ran CHKDSK and it didn't seem to give me any errors. I should also mention that on one of the KIV2012 crashes, it said that "Service part of program was unloaded from computer memory". ATM, I'm thinking it's RAM, but can someone confirm?

Last edited by Kommie986; November 21, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old November 21, 2011, 05:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

IF memtest gave you errors then one or more RAM sticks are dead. There is a small possibility that its the RAM controller on the motherboard, but you'd only be able to rule that out if you bought/tested new/different RAM.
Old November 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
IF memtest gave you errors then one or more RAM sticks are dead. There is a small possibility that its the RAM controller on the motherboard, but you'd only be able to rule that out if you bought/tested new/different RAM.
Yes, I would go with what Arinoth said, change out the RAM and run your system to see if you further encounter any issues. I just finished dealing with a bad spout of RAM (that didn't come up with any memtest errors). Once I replaced it with some new DIMM's, she ran like a charm!

Good luck!
Old November 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
MVP

As soon as I read your problem, I knew what I was going to see when I clicked your system - a Sandybridge system.

The **LIKELY** fix is twofold:

1) set your RAM voltage, speed, and timings MANUALLY, don't let them run auto

2) the RAM runs on a subsystem, called vtt or vccio. Stock voltage is 1.05v. Commonly, it takes 1.10v to 1.15v to stabilize system (for me, I run at 1.15v). So, either bump it up .02v at a time and test, or, go straight to 1.10v and test, then go up from there if need be. General consensus is that 1.20v is max safe for day to day usage.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 21, 2011, 11:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
As soon as I read your problem, I knew what I was going to see when I clicked your system - a Sandybridge system.

The **LIKELY** fix is twofold:

1) set your RAM voltage, speed, and timings MANUALLY, don't let them run auto

2) the RAM runs on a subsystem, called vtt or vccio. Stock voltage is 1.05v. Commonly, it takes 1.10v to 1.15v to stabilize system (for me, I run at 1.15v). So, either bump it up .02v at a time and test, or, go straight to 1.10v and test, then go up from there if need be. General consensus is that 1.20v is max safe for day to day usage.
Thanks for your suggestions!
I did manually set them. I'll try toe subsystem thing when I get home. If not, I guess it's time to RMA my RAM. =[

Edit: I raised the VCCIO, and did Memtest again. Still got A LOT of errors, so I got an RMA from Corsair approved.

Last edited by Kommie986; November 21, 2011 at 02:35 PM.