Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2011, 04:17 PM
Top Prospect

Default Screwed up bios update :(

Hi, today I decided to update my BIOS to the latest version, F6. I currently own a GA-P67A-UD4-B3, which had installed the previous BIOS version, F5. Following this very simple tutorial(How to update bios on gigabyte mb (flash bios without q-flash) very easy!! - YouTube) I tried to update my BIOS, but I miserably fail so bad that now I can't get into windows nor not even log into safe mode. Windows repair tool thing came up and restored my system to an earlier version, but I am guessing since the problem is at the BIOS that doesn't do anything. I heard that GIGABYTE motherboards have a dual BIOS and if you screw up one a second one will start up as a backup, is that true? I honestly don't know what to do since this is my first time playing around with the BIOS, anyways if someone could help me it wold be greatly appreciated. I will provide more info if needed, so feel free to ask.

PS: I read that restarting the BIOS to the default settings my fix my problem, although idk how to do that in the BIOS. This article seems to tackle my problem, but I don't know how to do what it's explain on the article ( I don't want to screw up again) , so if someone could help me with a small tutorial it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Video Card x2: Gigabyte Windforce 7950 Boost @1100/1350 || AMD Radeon R9 280 Double Dissipation Edition @ 1100/1350
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply: XFX XTR Series 750W PSU
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64Bit
Old November 20, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Please follow this guide. It is written by a gigabyte support tech.

BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

I learn how to flash from that same guide.
Old November 20, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

so i gather your only getting a dark screen when booting now ?

first have the correct bios for MB and Revision of MB to match bios version to update

DOS mode: a usb stick thats bootable add your bios flasher and bios file to stick
Old November 20, 2011, 05:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
so i gather your only getting a dark screen when booting now ?

first have the correct bios for MB and Revision of MB to match bios version to update

DOS mode: a usb stick thats bootable add your bios flasher and bios file to stick
Well not really. Windows 7 is about to boot to the login screen when I get a BSOD and it crashes, also what's is this "revision of MB" and how do I get into DOS mode? Btw I can still log into the BIOS when I press Delete, isn't there a way I can restart my bios to default somehow from there?
Video Card x2: Gigabyte Windforce 7950 Boost @1100/1350 || AMD Radeon R9 280 Double Dissipation Edition @ 1100/1350
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
Old November 20, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Flashing bios without q-flash. Wow, the user didn't even flash his own board in the end. So you tried to flash bios on windows?
Old November 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

P67A-UD4-B3 in lower left of MB
Attached Images

Old November 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you happen to chage the SATA mode when you had last set up your BIOS settings? (AHCI/IDE) That's what it sounds like to me.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever
Did you happen to chage the SATA mode when you had last set up your BIOS settings? (AHCI/IDE) That's what it sounds like to me.
yes check that
Old November 20, 2011, 05:51 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
P67A-UD4-B3 in lower left of MB
Pretty sure I picked the right one, I believe the revision # of my board is 1.1
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-P67A-UD4-B3 (rev. 1.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Hey Lpfan, long time no see. I have never done anything to my BIOS, I started to use it as it came from the manufacturer, btw how do I check in which mode it is set at?Anyways this @BIOS crap completely screwed up my PC, now that I have been reading around trying to fix my problem I found out that @BIOS SUCKS big time and that I should NEVER use it... honestly why in the world would GIGABYTE have such a program on the website with such a bad reputation and low success rate, FFS. Anyways so far I have found no simple way to fix my problem. The best solution I have found is to clear my CMOS, then using an USB stick I need to flash my BIOS with Qflash. Thankfully it was my gaming PC that screwed up, and not the one I use for school. Some guy at the GIGABYTE forums recommended me this:
How to CLEAR CMOS?
How Do I Update My BIOS?
Old November 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you flashed your bios it probably set everything back to Default settings.

In your bios you'll see something about a SATA mode and you'll have three choices "Compatibility Mode, AHCI, and RAID"

You'll need it to say "AHCI" as Windows has the drivers installed for this. If you were to be able to see the BSOD it'd say 0x0000007F which is filesystem problems.