Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2011, 10:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default New mobo isn't booting or rebooting properly

So basically my old mobo 770-G45 blew a mosfet it still ran but I decided to swap out the mobo(kept everything else the same except my cooler and some fans) and got a 970A-G45 it seemed fine and all while installing windows and soon found out it wouldn't reboot.
When I hit restart in windows it starts the shutdown sequence and looks like it's going to restart but it doesn't it just hangs no video output no beeps nothing the system just keeps running with no response. So I restart it and windows doesn't boot all I get is a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner in which I can't do or type anything. I restarted again and then find out I couldn't get into the bios by pressing the delete key and ended up on the same black screen.
So I restarted again and got to the boot list and I was able to access the bios from there and everything seemed fine so I saved and exited and the system hung up again instead of restarting. So I shut it off and restarted F11'd to the boot list and manually selected windows boot and windows booted up fine and runs fine and installs drivers fine except for when they have to restart I actually have to shut down the computer because that still works and restart the system.
I've already tried the memory modules individually and with an old set of ram I had and still had issues. I removed everything that isn't necessary to run the comp and still had issues. So I'm kinda stuck on what to do I haven't tried flashing the bios yet because I seemed to have lost my USB drive the one time I really need it. The bios seems suspicious to me because apparently I have ver 1.25 on my board and yet msi's live update claims 1.2 is the latest bios version so idk sounds funny to me maybe live update is wrong.
Anyways any help/suggestions for me to try would be much appreaciated since the store I got the mobo from is a 2hr trip one way and I can't really lug my comp all that way on city transit for them to fix it which I would have to pay for.

System:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
970A-G45 bios ver 1.25
8GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-10666 1333MHz
XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
Corsair TX650W PSU
If you need anymore info let me know.
Old November 19, 2011, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

are using onboard video or card ? in bios set-up
try moniter on MB to se if have screen

question the HDD new or using old HDD that wasn't formatted

also noticed bios version 1.25 isn't matching your MB

current is 1.3 with fixes - Update AMD AGESA code.
- Update M-Flash module.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Support Logitech MX510 Mouse / G510 KB.

drivers

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 19, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old November 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also maybe try and reset the Bios by removing the battery while your pc is unplugged
Old November 19, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try booting with only the OS drive. If that doesnt work try installing the OS on another drive. (no updates)

In my experience failing or failed hard drives are the culprit.

Another thing you might try is booting a linux kernal like pf sense or the memtest app on a thumb drive. Unplug all your other drives and plug them in one atta time. This way you can rule out failing hard drives / rom drives.

cheers
Old November 19, 2011, 08:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
are using onboard video or card ? in bios set-up
try moniter on MB to se if have screen

question the HDD new or using old HDD that wasn't formatted

also noticed bios version 1.25 isn't matching your MB

current is 1.3 with fixes - Update AMD AGESA code.
- Update M-Flash module.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Support Logitech MX510 Mouse / G510 KB.

drivers

I am using my video card since the mobo doesn't have onboard graphics the HDD is the original which I formatted on a friend's computer before reinstalling windows. I do plan on updating the bios however I can't seem to find my usb key. I may just take the time and head over to the ncix store I bought it from and have them do it since I phoned them and they did say that would do it for free because of recurring issues with the support of this board and FX processors with shipped bios version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Also maybe try and reset the Bios by removing the battery while your pc is unplugged
I have tried that and I still have the issues which makes me think it's bios related or hardware related? not sure if restarting problems could originate from bad parts on a mobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Try booting with only the OS drive. If that doesnt work try installing the OS on another drive. (no updates)

In my experience failing or failed hard drives are the culprit.

Another thing you might try is booting a linux kernal like pf sense or the memtest app on a thumb drive. Unplug all your other drives and plug them in one atta time. This way you can rule out failing hard drives / rom drives.

cheers

Like I said before I've removed everything that isn't necessary to run the PC and it still happens the drive is relatively new approx 6 months and it isn't just the drive acting up it's in the bioos as well because I'm not able to save and exit normally from there either..

I'll try to find a usb key someone will let me use or just bring the board in on monday and report back when I get ver 1.3
Old November 20, 2011, 12:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ok so I managed to get something together instead of a usb key(micro sd card with usb adaptor) and was able to flash the bios and woot all issues with rebooting/restarting have so far vanished so it must be a bad bios that I got with the board. Thanks to those who tried to help me out much appreciated.
Old November 20, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Silent_Avenger make sure you get current WHQL drivers from MSI (intel RST using F6 to install OS) for chipset and others sound, lan

its msi's drivers update utillity

MSI Live Update 5, beware For K9VGM-V (MS-7253) mainboard, please do not select the DMI option.

for bios use the dos method matching MB model and Revision of MB for flash

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 20, 2011 at 04:55 AM.