Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2011, 06:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Dying Drive in RAID?

So I bought four 2TB seagate 5900 RPM drives this summer on special at NCIX and got them setup in a RAID 5 via the intel controller on my motherboard (ICH10R?) Recently I've noticed that when I access files on the RAID drive, I can hear the drives spin up one at a time (which seems normal), but one of the drives will make a buzzing sound and sometimes beep.

Intel's rapid storage technology manager shows that there aren't any problems with the RAID.
I also tried using Seatools to try to get at the SMART data, but it sees the RAID as one drive.

Any ideas on what I can do to see if the drive needs to be swapped?
Old November 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'd pull them and try each one and isolate the culperate, since you probably already have isolated it I'd isolate it and run some Diagnostics on it by itself. but if its really being noisey then I'd swap it out.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, if you're really concerned, turn the machine off and use the drives in a separate machine and run the quick seatools diagnostics on it.

If it's still working I wouldn't be sweating it too much, could be that it is going to fail, however.
Old November 27, 2011, 03:35 PM
Rookie

I'm curious if you were ever able to find anything on this behavior. It sounds like I have the exact same behavior. I even bought new drives for my mirror because I thought one was failing, but have the same behavior with the new drives. I have an ASrock Z68 motherboard that uses Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I'm not sure if that is in the main chipset or a second IC on the board.

I guess I'm less afraid of a drive failure at this point, but the noise is very annoying. Sometimes my systems seems to hang for a few seconds, and I'm thinking that it might have to do with some delayed drive access.
Old November 27, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Depending on the drives you use there is going to be delayed drive access. The green drives spin down after inactivity and need about 5 seconds to spin back up.
Old November 27, 2011, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The problem I was experiencing was when I was reading data from the array. After a period of inactivity, I could hear the drives spin up one by one but one drive would always seem to get stuck.

I ended up plugging that drive into a SATA to USB converter which fed into my laptop. I ran Seagate's scans on it and it didn't pick up on anything, so I put it back into my desktop. When I booted up my desktop, the intel RAID manager after POST told me the array was degraded and that I should specity a disk to rebuild the array with. So I told it to use the same drive and continued booting into Windows.Once inside Windows, the Intel software did it's thing and rebuilt the drive (took a few hours for ~500GB of data). Haven't had any problems since then (this all happened about Thursday).

I'm not sure what caused the problem, but I tend to keep my computer on 24/7 and I'm uncertain as to when drive integrity is checked by the software.
Old November 28, 2011, 03:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use Itachi drive fitness to test the drive alone
Get the bootable version and rip it on a CD
Downloads

But well, these are seagate so noise might be normal :P

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 5, 2011, 07:41 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. The problem I am seeing (or hearing) shouldn't be a green drive needing to spin back up. I used Seatools and did a deep scan on both drives and it did not see any errors. The odd thing is that after I did this, the problem went away and I thought I was on to something....for a week or two. It eventially came back after a week or so.

I had been haing odd problems with my BIOS hanging at POST related to the number of USB devices I had connected. I ended up reflashing my BIOS and thought maybe that had something to do with the problem returning. I did another deep scan of the drives on the outside chance the problem went away, but it didn't. I'm now guessing that the sounds going away and returning were just coincidences. What I do know is that it doesn't happen when running tests, so it might be the OS or possibly the RAID controller doing something to create the sound on the disks. I'll try the fitness test that was recommended and see if it has anything to report.

Thanks,
Old December 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

sounds if a bad HDD cable 0n drive

Intel's rapid storage technology what version
Old December 8, 2011, 05:32 PM
Rookie

I'm pretty sure there is no cable problem.

Intel Rapid Storage 10.8.0.1003

Thanks,