Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2011, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default P4 Help Resurrection

Likely a lost cause, but just want to ensure I'm not missing anything obvious (Trying to avoid buying new HW (someone say 2011 X79) so tinkering with old crap )

I've got an old P4 3.2e about 7 yrs old, my wife had it in her store (used to be my Halflife2 and Doom3 Rig) and it simply quit operating (no further detail from her), so, built her a new one last Feb, this one has been sitting in my garage, figured I would see if I could bring life back into it.

Some of the specs:

CPU: P4 3.2e
Mobo: Gigabyte Titan GA8IPE1000-G
4 x 512MB DDR2 RAM (Kingston generic I think)
1 250GB WD IDE HDD
Couple of IDE Opticals
GPU: Evga 256MB 6800GT (AGP)
PSU: Enermax 485W

Anyhow, when powering up, the fans, lights all flash up for a split second, then nothing (they all stop spinning and no lights), the PSU Fan is still turning/humming.

What I have done so far:
1. Complete disassemble
2. Set-up on an open bench
3. Remove CPU & Heat sink (check for any bent pins, clean old Thermal Grease, apply new grease and reinstall Heat sink.
4. Try booting up with just 2 sticks RAM and no RAM (same problem as originally stated).
5. Try booting up with just HDD and 2 sticks RAM (same problem as above)
6. Try booting up with nothing except CPU (no HDD, no GPU, no RAM...same problem)...in this case the CPU Fan flashed to life for a split second

What do you guys figure, dead Board?!...or possibly dead CPU?

I'm pretty sure the PSU is ok as it does spin up in all boot attempts (but perhaps just the fan running on the PSU doesn't mean anything, still could be not enough power to the board?).

Anyhoo, if anyone has any ideas let me know, I've got another 8 yr old PC in the garage (used to belong to my wife)...not sure what HW is in it, I know she only paid around $800 for it, back when I paid close to 2K for my P4, so I doubt the CPU/MOBO is swappable, PSU maybe.

Cheers

Old November 18, 2011, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

try a good PSU, the symptom stated acts as a short
Old November 18, 2011, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
try a good PSU, the symptom stated acts as a short

yup exactly

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old November 18, 2011, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Being a P4 check the board for any worn or popped capacitors.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok guys making headway this AM, was suspect of the PSU, so pulled an old "Sunny..crap" from my wifes ancient rig and hooked it up:

1. Immediately powered up the board succesfully. It Posted so Reset all settings in the BIOS (as I had tried Clearing CMOS with jumper and removed battery)
2. Hooked up GPU (evga 6800GT), Sound Card (some old Creative Blaster), original Primary HDD (IDE) and CD ROM Drive (IDE Slave)
3. Powered up and was given option to Boot "normally" or into "Safe Mode" yada yada...

Booting normally results in a quick flash of a Blue Screen (very quick) and back to start of Post
Booting into Safe Mode simply goes back to start of Post.

I'm thinking that the Sunny PSU 300W isnt enough power to Boot into Windows with the Evga GPU (seems to me that a min 400W PSU is required)...hhhmmm EDIT: Just read that 300W should be enough...BUT min 18Amps on the 12V rail required..will check the Amperage.

Gonna try Booting from CD / windows Disk next...

Any other ideas....?....lets bring her back to life !!!

Old November 18, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

next check these .....flat top = good

Old November 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

reset the bios to factory defaults. that PSU had 300W 8 years ago, now it has 150 probably. try a lower end videocard, maybe something pci, disconnect HDD and cdrom units, see if you are able at least to make it to bios screen. I have a pc with approx the same config, a Pentium dual core@2.8, PSU is not the problem, swapped with an Antec 550 True Power that powers my 2P folder, but the board is dead, nothing moves, no lights, nothing.
Old November 18, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
reset the bios to factory defaults. that PSU had 300W 8 years ago, now it has 150 probably. try a lower end videocard, maybe something pci, disconnect HDD and cdrom units, see if you are able at least to make it to bios screen. I have a pc with approx the same config, a Pentium dual core@2.8, PSU is not the problem, swapped with an Antec 550 True Power that powers my 2P folder, but the board is dead, nothing moves, no lights, nothing.
^^^ Um...did you "read" my last post?

Quote:
next check these .....flat top = good
Yes, everything including your pics looks fine on the Mobo, as said in my previous Post, I am able to Post and get to BIOS.

Anyhow..got a new PSU (cheap $50..450W with 35A on a single Rail), will try that...

Old November 18, 2011, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

next change or test 1 stik @ a time
Old November 18, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
next change or test 1 stik @ a time
^^^ I went through all this last night!
Anyhoo...LIFE!!!!!

Works fine now with new PSU and complete Format of the original HDD, Re-installed Windows XP SP2, Chip set Drivers, Audio Drivers and GPU Drivers (Evga 6800GT) and all is running fine!

There were 2 problems:
1. PSU was FUBAR, but temporarily installing the ancient 300W 10Amp PSU was enough to Post (this told me there was nothing wrong with Mobo, RAM or CPU)
2. Badly corrupted Windows XP on HDD

Thanks for the help guys...just have to put it all back in the Case, connect LAN, update XP to SP3, update Drivers....will test it on an install of Doom3!

Cheers