Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2011, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Default New build - no hard disk detected, CPU over temp error?

Hey guys,

Started my build yesterday, finished last night. Been having a few major issues with a few things though. PC boots up fine now, but my HDD is not being detected for whatever reason. Post keeps displaying this message:

"hard disk not detected"

Not detected through bios either.

What can be the problem? I'm totally new to PC building and intially had a difficult time getting the optical/HDD connected so perhaps it is not connected properly? My optical drive is being detected just fine, but as mentioned earlier, my HDD is not. My case has hot swap bays (Obsidian 800d) if that helps some. I really want to finish this build but I can't even install windows without the HDD.

I've tried reconnecting it, changing data cables/ports and it's not detecting the HDD. What could be the problem?

Another issue I'm having during the boot post screen, is it was reporting a "CPU over temperature error".

I am using an I5 2500k coupled with an H60 for cooling. I took the H60 off just to make sure it was making proper contact with CPU. The attachment bolts were a bit loose so I tightened them up and made sure thermal paste was evenly distributed (paste was spread out but coating was thin and had a few spots that didn't get totally covered, is this ok?)

Regarding the HDD, I changed sata ports and data connections for the HDD once more, but it's still not being detected and while the CPU over temperature error is gone at post now, the bios reading is a different story. Bios is reporting 95 degrees celcius for cpu, wtf? I mean really, it's very cool in my room at the moment and I haven't had the PC on for more than a couple minutes at a time. False readings, perhaps? Also, my ram is being detected at only 1333 mhz, yet I'm supposed to have 1600mhz. Yet another issue I need to sort out.

So if someone, anyone, could please help me sort these problems out, I would be forever grateful!

Issue # 1 - Bios/post not recognizing hard disk

Issue # 2 - Ram is only being detected at 1333mhz (I have 1600 ram)

Issue # 3 - Initial CPU over temperature error and bios 95 degree celcius reading. System specs below.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
GPU: Evga GTX 570 HD Double shot
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz ram 1.65v
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Old November 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
MVP

Have you set up the bios for AICH under drives? Are you sure you have the HDD on the Intel controller, and not the external/add on controller? Double check your connections, that both the power and the SATA connectors are snug at both ends.

RAM - that's normal, it's stock speed for the chipset. We'll get you set up to 1600 later, let's get the other stuff squared away first.

CPU temp - definitely a problem. Yes, the thermal paste layer should be very thin, but it should be a completely covering layer. Usually I just wiggle the cooler in half-turns on the cpu to spread the goo, before I tighten it down. I suspect somehow the cooler isn't mounted properly - did you have any problems mounting the bracket on the back of the motherboard? If it's the same as my H80, the little movable 'feet' have a tiny edge that should set it into the holes in the motherboard, I had some problems wiggling things around to get them in. Also, that bracket, it only mounts one way - pretty easy to get it turned 90* (quarter turn) the wrong way. Beyond that, you can snug those bolts on the cooler head right down tight, you don't have to leave any play in them as, when they bottom out, that is/should be the correct amount of pressure from the cooler head to the cpu.

Any chance the cooler head isn't setting all the way down onto the bolts on one side properly, so that it's mounting on a slight angle?

If you have a decent camera + light, a few pics showing the area around the cooler + the ports you have the HDD plugged into might help.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Did you hook up the power and sata cables to the backplane? Try bypassing the backplane, hook the hard drive up directly to the motherboard.
Cpu - a few spots not being covered wont cause temps like that, I'd say that you didnt tighten the heatsink screws in the proper order. For instnace, if you tighten the top two until they are tight, then the bottom two, you will have terrible contact. Loose all 4, then criss cross which screw you tighten, only turning 1-2 revolutions, until all are tight - like how you would install a tire on a car. Don't run it until you get the heatsink mounted properly with a think layer of thermal paste.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
Have you set up the bios for AICH under drives?
No, but I will see and make sure that I have once I boot up again.

Quote:
Are you sure you have the HDD on the Intel controller, and not the external/add on controller? Double check your connections, that both the power and the SATA connectors are snug at both ends.
Not entirely sure about this. Please bare with me and excuse my ignorance, but I still don't know what is what at the moment. I installed the HDD into my 800d, which has hot swap bays, and simply connected the data cable, or serial ata cable, and then gave it power from the psu.

Quote:
RAM - that's normal, it's stock speed for the chipset. We'll get you set up to 1600 later, let's get the other stuff squared away first.
Thanks for informing me about that.

Quote:
CPU temp - definitely a problem. Yes, the thermal paste layer should be very thin, but it should be a completely covering layer.
Yes, it is. I just removed the pump from the CPU to double check the thermal paste. I tried to re-distribute it by spreading it with my finger wrapped in a plastic baggy, but I couldn't spread it because it was dry, somewhat caked on and generally looked bad. What to do now? I don't have any more thermal paste, but I do have the stock heat sink fan that came with the cpu that I can use. Any suggestions? I still don't understand why the thermal paste looks like that.

Quote:
I suspect somehow the cooler isn't mounted properly - did you have any problems mounting the bracket on the back of the motherboard?
I did at first, but I was able to move the feet around so that it sat flush with my mother board. I'm pretty sure it's on properly. But I will look again to make sure.

Quote:
Any chance the cooler head isn't setting all the way down onto the bolts on one side properly, so that it's mounting on a slight angle?
Hmmm, I will have to see. May be a possibility.

Quote:
if you have a decent camera + light, a few pics showing the area around the cooler + the ports you have the HDD plugged into might help.
Ok, I will do this when I get home later today.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Did you hook up the power and sata cables to the backplane? Try bypassing the backplane, hook the hard drive up directly to the motherboard.
I'm assuming the backplane is the circuit board'ish looking behind the hot swap bays where the HDD is located? If so, then yes, I hooked both of them up to it. I'm thinking that maybe I should make sure the HDD is set up to AICH in the bios. During the last boot up, the post did not detect it, but later showed that Samsung HD103SJ was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Cpu - a few spots not being covered wont cause temps like that, I'd say that you didnt tighten the heatsink screws in the proper order. For instnace, if you tighten the top two until they are tight, then the bottom two, you will have terrible contact. Loose all 4, then criss cross which screw you tighten, only turning 1-2 revolutions, until all are tight - like how you would install a tire on a car. Don't run it until you get the heatsink mounted properly with a think layer of thermal paste.
Hmmm. Wow, I really think this is where I may have screwed up. I tightened them all by hand and not in diagonal order. They were by no means tight when I checked, but I was under the impression that over tightening them could damage the cpu (noob PC builder)
Old November 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

P8P67 Pro(REV3.1) 1704 BIOS ver
1. 2.2TB or larger HDD can be supported under RAID mode.
(Need to install IRST 10.5 version driver first, you can find it under "SATA" catalogue)

P8P67 PRO Rev. 3.1 2001 BIOS ver
1. Enable support for Next Gen 22nm Processor.

are sum of the updates for MB bios, don't confuse version with REVISION when getting software for P8P67 PRO use Rev. 3.1
A Ford Mustang comes with different motors and parts don't fit

download the current drivers for MB that are WHQL to a USB stik that is bootable

if bios don't see HDD then is DOA, if do the HDD is unformatted, would have go in disk management from control panel

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 17, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:26 PM
Rookie

UPDATE:

I have now solved the issue of the hard drive. As it turns out, the bios was detecting the HDD the entire time, I simply overlooked it. The POST did not however, but all is well apart from that.

I bought some new thermal compound, which should be here tomorrow, and temporarily replaced the H60 with the stock heatsink fan. I no longer receive the cpu over temp error, but the cpu temp at idle, according to the bios, is registering in at 50-55 degrees celcius.

Still much to high for my liking. I've been told that sometimes the bios gives false readings before updating, so perhaps that is the problem and not anything with my cooling/cpu. CPU area does not seem hot whatsoever, so I'm inclined to believe it is a false reading.

Ok, now on to the current issue, which I wrongly believed I had previously taken care of. The initial problem with my system was that it would boot up but only for a few short seconds before shutting down. I went around this by reseting the CMOS. I thought everything was ok after that, that is until I manually shut the system down and returned a few minutes later to reboot it only to see that the boot up problem was still present.

I am certain the PSU is fine as I was able to install windows and reconfigure settings in the bios just fine. Total on time for the system thus far is probably around an hour or so. I have no reason to believe anything else is culprit apart from maybe a wrong connection I made or perhaps a wire or something that is causing a short somewhere.

Any suggestions on how to solve this boot/shut down problem? Should I disconnect everything and hook it back up again just to make sure I get everything where it's supposed to be? I kind of rushed through certain parts of the build.

It almost seems as if there is an error in the bios. When I reset the CMOS/bios boot up works properly, the problem happens after I shut down and try to restart again.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

I've learned that a PSU can be faulty even if it powers on the main components. I think it's unlikely but still possible.

Also, do you guys think the problem might be with something the BIOS settings? By BIOS setting I mean that maybe the one of default settings for the BIOS is loaded to overclock something without my consent. I remember looking at the BIOS setting and seeing that "AI Overclock tuner" is set to auto and a bunch of other things were set to auto as well.

Worth investigating or no?

Last edited by ELCID777; November 17, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:27 PM
MVP

I'm not sure how long you're waiting, but double booting is a well known issue with 67/68 chipset boards...it is somehow bios related, and some manage to fix it, others never do. If it starts, fans spin up, then stops, then starts again, and the bios flash screen shows twice, it's very normal as long as you end up in Windows.

55C on the stock cooler at idle is wayyy too high, like 25-30C too high. What bios version are you on, it should say on the first or second bios screen.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 17, 2011, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I'm not sure how long you're waiting, but double booting is a well known issue with 67/68 chipset boards...it is somehow bios related, and some manage to fix it, others never do. If it starts, fans spin up, then stops, then starts again, and the bios flash screen shows twice, it's very normal as long as you end up in Windows.

55C on the stock cooler at idle is wayyy too high, like 25-30C too high. What bios version are you on, it should say on the first or second bios screen.

I was under the impression that such issues had been mostly resolved with the 3.1 revision? And I don't think my system is double booting, I've done my fair share of research regarding the matter, and I've seen people who have similar boot up problems, the double booting that you mention, and what happens in my case is a bit different.

I can boot it up (after reseting CMOS) and it stays on for how long I want, but once I turn it off and come back to it later to power it up, it boots but it shuts down a few seconds later and I'm forced to start the process of reseting the CMOS all over again.

My problem is more like a single boot error, which others have reported as well. Some say it may be defective PSU, others a possible short somewhere, something not connected properly, or other defective hardware, I'm hoping it's nothing I cannot solve with the help I receive here.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Might think of RMAing that board and see if a new one might solve the issue.