Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2011, 04:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default 2 Issues on my folks system

I have been made light two separate issues with my folks computer I built them and was wondering if I could get any advice in fixing it via RDC or instructing them over the phone.
Quote:
1. When I plug in the speakers I get nothing other than Microsoft telling me that the speakers are not connected. I do not understand why we cannot get sound off the sound card that is part of the mother board; did you not test this before you sent it out? I have attached the result I get when I click on the audio manager icon. When I look at the hardware on the computer I do not see a sound card.
I know for a fact that it was working about 6 months ago when it was inside of my fiancee's computer as she uses standard desktop speakers. My thoughts are either he has them hooked up wrong, which isn't very likely as everything is colour coded these days, the sound card somehow crapped the bed between then and now, or the 10 year old speakers (Logitech X-530) are either not turned on or died when the old system went (or were on their way out).

I was thinking of asking them to try other speakers to see if that fixes the problem, or to potentially try usb speakers to help rule out some things, what do you think?

Quote:
2. When I shut down the computer the blue running light goes out but the fan keeps running and the green light for the SDS card reader stays on. I have to use the switch at the back of the computer to turn off the fan and SDS card reader light. In the morning when I need to turn on the computer from the back and then hit the start button in the front. Did you not test this before you sent it out?
This is the one that's a bit more odd, I only ever shut the computer down once as I left it idling so I could remote into it and do updates when I needed. I was wondering if there is something in windows or what-have-you that is causing the system to shut down but leave the fans still running. I know the SDS card reader light will typically always be on (think USB hub light), but why its not shutting the entire system down, I'm not sure.

Last edited by Arinoth; November 16, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old November 16, 2011, 05:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Did you not test this before you sent it out?

This is the part I find most interesting, you are probably doing all the work for free, yes?

As far as the sound goes, the easiest would be to try a set of known good speakers first. Also the audio plugs give me fits on many computers and there are two green plugs that in a low light situation can be confused.

I wonder if the fan keeps running for a bit for post shutdown cooling?
Old November 16, 2011, 05:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, I am doing all the work for free, how could you tell?

Yeah, that's why I was thinking when I'm doing "a scheduled" phone call this evening for them to try other speakers, or to take a picture of the back and highlight what he thinks is the green slot. They are 5.1 speakers, so he says he's wired them all up, but if windows isn't recognizing them, either they aren't plugged in properly or the 10 year old speakers kicked the bucket.

I'm not sure how long, could have been an hour, could have been 5 mins. I don't remember it doing this before again in my fiancee's system 6 months ago, but the only thing thing that were the same were the mobo, everything else is different.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

User error. Sounds exactly how clients describe problems to me, leaving out details and half the time when you look at the system the problem is nothing like what they describe.
Instead of going off what they said the problem is, start from the basics.
- Get them to (Firmly) plug headphones in the green jack and restart windows - see if you get the startup sound.
- Check device manager under sound and audio devices (think thats the name) see if the card is listed - realtek sound device or etc.
- windows update may have updated the sound card driver and caused it to crap out. Reinstall driver package from motherboard's site.

The fan issue could be anything - here's some ideas
They may be hibernating it, or the system may be somewhat intelligent and leaving fans temporarily after it shuts down, until it cools.
Get them to start -> "Shut down" and leave it for 30 minutes - come back and see if the fan is still on. My bet is that it won't be.

Here's hoping your next clients will be more appreciative of the hard work you have done for them.

edit: even if the speakers have kicked the bucket, windows wouldn't be saying speakers arent connected. It's just detecting if something is plugged into the port - so they are probably in the wrong port

Last edited by odis172; November 16, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Client, you seemed to have missed that this is my parents newly built computer I did for them.

I installed Windows 7, performed the updates, and well configured the system for the most part so they could just use it once they got it. I know it has the appropriate audio drivers, and that whatever slots they have plugged into don't register as being plugged in via looking at it remotely. I hadn't thought that the Windows Updates could have crapped out the sound driver, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually did. I also wouldn't be surprised if the speakers they have (which were mine several years ago) finally kicked the bucket or were damaged when their old system died. That's why I was thinking of having them try different speakers.

I turned off hibernation if I recall, however I'd probably be best checking and verifying that it has done that. I will see if the system fans run for a while after its turned off or if its just for 5 mins. Its still odd and have never ran into a system that has done this before.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Client, you seemed to have missed that this is my parents newly built computer I did for them.
nope. Even if they are your parents, they are still your client and you are expected to provide a certain level of service, whether doing the work for payment or for free
Old November 16, 2011, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

1) Are they using a nvidia graphics card? This has a tendency to screw up some sound systems cause it installs a audio driver that screws up shit.
2) Green light on usb card reader I've seen stay on after system is powered down. But as per above even if it was going into hibernate all system fans still shut down.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

1) Nope, they are using an AMD 5450 as their graphics card so it isn't that. I am going to try to uninstall and delete the windows drivers for the sound card and attempt to reinstall it, hopefully it helps. I just realized something as well, there is only 3 plugs to this motherboard's soundcard. Blue, Green and Red. This has got me thinking of what the hell he has plugged into what.

2) Yeah, its the fact that the fans keep spinning after the computer is shut down, and the only way to stop them is apparently the hard turn off. I don't know if the system is still "on" or if its just giving phantom power to the fans.
Old November 16, 2011, 07:04 AM
MVP

No, the system is very likely still on. They aren't shutting down by hitting the power button by any chance? I know, likely not, but.....

I think you have a good handle on the sound issue. Very very very unlikely if not impossible for a system dying to take out the speakers. It's either a driver issue or a 'plugged into the wrong hole' issue.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 16, 2011, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. As others have said, judging by the "Did you not test this?" tone, it's probably user error.

2. I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say Gigabyte board.